Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Liquid Yeast by Mail Now?  (Read 3835 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Liquid Yeast by Mail Now?
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2016, 06:23:46 pm »
MoreBeer can be hit or miss when using their free shipping. Most of the time they ship same or next day, but I have had them sit on orders for a couple of days. Most of the times it's not a big deal, but sometimes I'm in a hurry.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2016, 07:01:41 pm »
I usually pay for the non-USPS option with ordering from moreover. Yeah, free is cheaper, but if I'm ordering I typically want things ASAP.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #17 on: June 30, 2016, 08:26:10 am »
I wouldn't worry about 70-80. Yeast hang out in the wild in warmer temperatures.

My concern has always been the uncooled back of the truck baking in the sun than the outside air temps.

Undoubtedly but how hot are those trucks getting in the 70s? I'd imagine they aren't clearing over 100 in a mail truck at those temps. I could be wrong though.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline mharding73

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: June 30, 2016, 03:58:06 pm »
Just got my warm yeast.  It's in the fridge now.  I'm making 2 two liter starters for my barley wine.  Shouldn't be an issue. 

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2016, 06:51:37 pm »
Undoubtedly but how hot are those trucks getting in the 70s? I'd imagine they aren't clearing over 100 in a mail truck at those temps. I could be wrong though.

The strength of the sun has more to do with heating the inside of a truck than the air temps. Ever notice how on a chilly day in late spring you sometimes still need to roll the windows of a car down or use the AC?
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline mharding73

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2016, 04:03:15 pm »
Brewed my barley wine with the 1318 shipped 3 weeks ago.  I bet the yeast was 85 degrees when it arrived.  I made 2 1.5 liter starters.   The OG was 1.1 and looks like it's finished at 1.025.   The yeast survived.   The smack pack swelled to the maximum before pitching into the starter.  I am a 2 day transit from northern brewer.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #21 on: July 22, 2016, 04:48:18 pm »
I feel like they used to ship much faster, but recently I don't even get my order by Friday if I order it the previous Sunday and I am only 2-3 days UPS ship at most. They must just be experiencing a high volume.  Good for them!
Their customer service is still awesome.

Offline mharding73

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #22 on: July 22, 2016, 04:57:36 pm »
I waited 5 business days for shipment.  Worked for me though.  It was mid 90s those days.  Low 80s the days they shipped. 

Offline Stevie

« Reply #23 on: July 22, 2016, 05:07:19 pm »
I just got some in today. Some Imperial Rustic, and 3711. Can't get either locally.  Two day transit, payed for ice, arrived slightly cool. For sure will make a starter for the 3711 even though I absolutely hate making starters.

Can get 3711 about 40 minutes away, but that's not happening.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #24 on: July 22, 2016, 05:35:25 pm »
I just got some in today. Some Imperial Rustic, and 3711. Can't get either locally.  Two day transit, payed for ice, arrived slightly cool. For sure will make a starter for the 3711 even though I absolutely hate making starters.

Can get 3711 about 40 minutes away, but that's not happening.

I look forward to seeing what you think of the Rustic, Steve. Wanting to use it (haven't used any Imperial yet, though my LHBS carries Imperial). Sounds like if it arrived cool, you made out fine.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #25 on: July 22, 2016, 05:44:33 pm »
I'm using in two weeks it in a recipe I've brewed countless times. I normally don't include any simple sugars with this recipe, but I might this time around considering the estimated attenuation.