Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Belgian Tripel Advice  (Read 9994 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Belgian Tripel Advice
« Reply #15 on: July 01, 2016, 03:46:54 pm »
Salts are typically added to the mash and the sparge. Some brewers will also adjust in the kettle too.

Before you start getting into water adjustments, you first need to know what your water profile has to offer. If you are working with your local municipality water then you can send a sample into Wards to be tested. Check their website for the homebrew water test. Or you can always switch to 100% Reverse Osmosis water which is pretty much a blank slate that minerals/salts can be added back to hit a certain desired profile to best suit the beer style you are brewing which in turn can help dial in a desired pH for your mash. Many of us here use Brunwater for this.
I would not worry much about water adjustments right now. I would get a few more all-grain batches under your belt prior to learning about water chemistry.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: July 02, 2016, 08:02:35 am »
Download Bru'n water and start learning.  That should get you started in the right direction.  There is a learning curve to water and pH but it is very worthwhile IMO.  Since you are already knowledgeable about yeast I figure you for a guy that would not be too intimidated by it.  The short answer to your question is acid.  You will likely need acid to lower both mash and sparge liquor as low as I stated.  I prefer phosphoric acid.  It is a mineral acid and the acid you will read of in the book ;D 

I would say most homebrewers make 2 big mistakes on belgians.  First, they are chicken to use enough sugar.  Tripel should be about 20%.  Secondly, pH is too high.  Lower really lightens it up and makes it a more authentic (gives it the champagne-like vibe).  This is probably why your wife likes this style and why I pointed you in this direction... 

Brewinhard is spot on.  The KISS method for now would be just brew your next with RO (I prefer distilled) and that should give you an idea.  I just use tap water (very average stuff) but use the acid to hit 5.2 in the mash and also acidify sparge to same.  Not really hard to use acid.  All you need to get started is a 10% solution from LHBS and a baby medicine syringe to measure.  Run your numbers in Bru'n water and off you go. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2016, 09:20:03 am »

Does it really make a big difference what temp the final Lagering step takes place

It does matter. Maybe. Kinda. But for certain there is no "magic" that happens at 45 degrees. Some folks might suggest that the yeast is still working and creating flavors but if you pitch enough yeast (it appears you are) and conduct "proper" fermentation (aeration, temp control) then once the fermentation is finished and the yeast starts to drop out the colder you crash it the better (as long as you don't freeze it obviously). So, in fact, the colder you "lager' it the faster the yeast will drop out the sooner the beer will be ready. Colder storage also prolongs shelf life and postpones any oxidation problems you may have picked up from racking. OTOH if 45 is the coldest you can go the beer will be just as good as if you stored it at 32. But by no means will it be better!

Regular old cane sugar is also just fine. You don't need corn sugar. I brew a tripel as a commercial flagship beer and always hit 90+ AA using plain of Costco cane sugar, mashing at 148 for 45 minutes. Cane sugar is about 15% of total fementables.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 09:22:11 am by majorvices »

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #18 on: July 03, 2016, 06:09:02 am »
Keith - do you add sugar in the boil for your homebrews?  I had heard/read/imagined?? That it's better to let the yeast get underway and to add the sugar at high krausen....maybe another Homebrew myth?
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #19 on: July 03, 2016, 08:40:16 am »
I add it to the boil. Every time I have added the sugar to the fermentation I have gotten a higher apparent attenuation though (added near end of fermentation). That's not a myth. But it actually gets too dry for my personal tastes. I can get 90% AA at 148 with a 45 minute mash, no need to be any drier IMO.

Offline jeffy

• Tampa, Fl
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2016, 09:18:27 am »
I like adding the sugar to the fermenter after high kreusen.  It lets you start with a lower gravity, which should make the start of fermentation easier for the yeast.  I agree that it seems to help with attenuation.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2016, 09:56:07 am »
Keith - do you add sugar in the boil for your homebrews?  I had heard/read/imagined?? That it's better to let the yeast get underway and to add the sugar at high krausen....maybe another Homebrew myth?

As far as I can tell. yes it is.  I always add sugar to the boil.  I get yeast performance on par with what I expect and no off flavors.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2016, 11:00:19 am »

As far as I can tell. yes it is.  I always add sugar to the boil.  I get yeast performance on par with what I expect and no off flavors.

Well then you need to experiment with it more because I always have gotten ridiculously high attenuation when I have added it post fermentation. I've done this several times.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2016, 12:04:50 pm »

Well then you need to experiment with it more because I always have gotten ridiculously high attenuation when I have added it post fermentation. I've done this several times.

I already get attenuation into the high 80s-low 90s the way I do it.  I don't want any more!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2016, 12:49:54 pm »
I have had issues on two separate occasions adding all the sugar (15-20%) directly to the boil kettle. On both times, even with a fairly low (148F) mash temp, I ended up with a tripel stuck at 1.020-1.022 when shooting for a 1.009-1.012.

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2016, 08:31:20 am »

I already get attenuation into the high 80s-low 90s the way I do it.  I don't want any more!

I agree and posted the exact same thing (if you took a second to read my post there buddy! ;) ) But that doesn't change the fact that adding the sugar post fermentation has always increased my AA. It is not a myth!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2016, 09:27:27 am »
I agree and posted the exact same thing (if you took a second to read my post there buddy! ;) ) But that doesn't change the fact that adding the sugar post fermentation has always increased my AA. It is not a myth!

All I can tell ya is that I haven't found that.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2016, 11:04:17 am »

Well it certainly has worked for me. Sounds like a good experiment!

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2016, 11:23:34 am »

You bet!  Wanna take part?  You'd make a great IGOR!  ;)

www.dennybrew.com

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2016, 11:34:58 am »

You bet!  Wanna take part?  You'd make a great IGOR!  ;)

Only if I get to be on the podcast someday. ;)