Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: What style should I enter this in?  (Read 1168 times)

Offline JFMBearcat

• Cellarman
What style should I enter this in?
« on: June 30, 2016, 01:50:13 pm »
Hi all, I have an upcoming competition that I'd like to enter a lager I have in, but am unsure which category to submit it in. They are using the new guidelines.

OG 1.048
IBU 32
Color 5
ABV approx 5.1%

77% pilsner
15% vienna
8% munich

Bittered with magnum and flavored with Wakatu hops.

I know this is similar to a festbier/helles or even a pilsner, but the problem is the wakatu hops. I wanted to brew an easy drinking lager for the summer and thought the Wakatu hops with their hints of lime would work out great. And boy did it ever! It's one of the best beers I've ever made, but I am worried it doesn't fit into any category without getting dinged big time for being out of style. If so, I'm a-OK with keeping the keg at home and not submitting it, but would love to submit it if you think it fits into a category at all. Thank you!
James Miller
Cincinnati OH
Bloatarian Brewing League
BJCP B1408

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: What style should I enter this in?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 03:41:27 pm »
Hi all, I have an upcoming competition that I'd like to enter a lager I have in, but am unsure which category to submit it in. They are using the new guidelines.

OG 1.048
IBU 32
Color 5
ABV approx 5.1%

77% pilsner
15% vienna
8% munich

Bittered with magnum and flavored with Wakatu hops.

I know this is similar to a festbier/helles or even a pilsner, but the problem is the wakatu hops. I wanted to brew an easy drinking lager for the summer and thought the Wakatu hops with their hints of lime would work out great. And boy did it ever! It's one of the best beers I've ever made, but I am worried it doesn't fit into any category without getting dinged big time for being out of style. If so, I'm a-OK with keeping the keg at home and not submitting it, but would love to submit it if you think it fits into a category at all. Thank you!

How assertive is the lime flavor? What yeast did you use?
Fruit beer category: lime pils? citrusfest?
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline ynotbrusum

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: What style should I enter this in?
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 03:44:55 pm »
The fruitiness of the lime from hops likely will preclude it from a straight up International Pale Lager or other similar German beer category, since most of those involve floral, herbal or spicy type hops, rather than fruity hops.  I suggest considering to enter it in the Experimental Beer category and explain the reason why - it is a traditional International Pale Lager or similar beer, only it uses Wakatu hops for a hint of lime.  There is nothing wrong with that and it can't be out of style in that category.  If it's very flavorful and otherwise well made, then you have a good chance in that category.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"