Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Beer quick disconnect leaking  (Read 2054 times)

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
Beer quick disconnect leaking
« on: July 01, 2016, 07:21:47 pm »
It was on the correct post (since I expect that question).  I went into the garage as I was heading to work and saw beer on the floor, then looked in the fridge and saw that beer had been seeping from the top of the QD. I disconnected and turned off gas (simply because I didn't have time to troubleshoot). When I got home, I was relieved to see that I still had some beer in the keg and gas in the canister, so it wasn't a total disaster.

The night before, I had taken apart the quick disconnect and cleaned it before reassembling and attaching. I'm embarrassed to say I had not cleaned the QD before--I only recently realized it could be disassembled. I'm guessing I reassembled it incorrectly--too tight? too loose? I have another new beer line QD in pristine packaging that I'll swap in.

So... when I clean and reassemble this QD... what am I looking for? How do I ensure it won't leak?
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Beer quick disconnect leaking
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 11:26:31 pm »
There is a small square oring below the cap. It can be a hassle to get in the right spot. I prefer to put the ring in the body and then put the cap on.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 02:24:59 pm »
Double check and be sure you have tightened the top well. Also be sure to check that your swivel nut (if you have one) connected to your line is tightened enough as well. I once brought a full keg of beer to a party and had a small leak from there that I just couldn't pinpoint for the longest time. It took a drunk buddy of mine to show me that I was a complete, blind idiot. Unfortunately, I have not changed much.

Offline dzlater

• Brewmaster
  • Dan S. New Jersey
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 07:10:33 am »
Make sure you didn't put that plastic pin thing in upside down.
Dan S. from NJ

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 09:08:03 am »

When I opened it up yesterday, I took out all the parts and noted that there is a gasket under the o-ring that was deformed, probably from when I reassembled the disconnect. I took it apart completely. I have a couple more of these so if nothing else this one was sacrificed to scientific discovery. Thanks for all the tips.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2016, 12:58:48 pm »

When I opened it up yesterday, I took out all the parts and noted that there is a gasket under the o-ring that was deformed, probably from when I reassembled the disconnect. I took it apart completely. I have a couple more of these so if nothing else this one was sacrificed to scientific discovery. Thanks for all the tips.

Live and learn.