Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Affordable Water Testing Kits  (Read 11169 times)

Offline mitchbrew

• 1st Kit
Affordable Water Testing Kits
« on: June 19, 2016, 11:31:56 am »
Hello Everyone,

I am looking to take my brewing up a notch with water testing (controlling the ph, etc.). Water testing kits for brewing are expensive, can anyone recommend alternatives (i.e. pool testing kits, etc.) that can serve as a decent proxy? As a first step I was thinking of just buying brewing pH strips, unless anyone has recommendations!

Thank you for your help!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Affordable Water Testing Kits
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2016, 11:40:56 am »
Since water in this area is pretty crappy for brewing most styles, I buy RO (reverse osmosis) water from grocery store machines and use Brunwater software to control pH and hit the right flavor profile for a beer.
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2016, 12:09:48 pm »
Hello Everyone,

I am looking to take my brewing up a notch with water testing (controlling the ph, etc.). Water testing kits for brewing are expensive, can anyone recommend alternatives (i.e. pool testing kits, etc.) that can serve as a decent proxy? As a first step I was thinking of just buying brewing pH strips, unless anyone has recommendations!

Thank you for your help!

pH strips are pretty much worthless.  Even if you get ColorpHast strips, which are expensive and the best around, they're still pretty unreliable  Most of the time, once you know what your water analysis is, it won't change.  So one test every year or 2 is pretty much all you need.  You can get many water tests from Ward Labs (www.wardlab.com test W-6) for the price of a decent water test kit.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Erik_Mog

• Assistant Brewer
  • Still a NEWB, but learning and getting better.....
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2016, 12:33:16 pm »
I just sent my well water to be tested by Ward Labs.  $42 for them to send the collection bottle with return postage and testing.  I think that's a pretty good deal.  The county charges $50 to do a water test on a well if you collect your own sample, and $100 if they send someone to take the sample.  The $8 savings is enough for two pints on pint night at my favorite watering hole.
Bottled/Drinking:  Born Again Heathenweizen, Mongrel Belgian
Fermenting:  None
Future:  Undecided...too many to choose from

Doggie Mutt Brewing Co.
"Beer....Because people suck."

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2016, 12:58:17 pm »
I just sent my well water to be tested by Ward Labs.  $42 for them to send the collection bottle with return postage and testing.  I think that's a pretty good deal.  The county charges $50 to do a water test on a well if you collect your own sample, and $100 if they send someone to take the sample.  The $8 savings is enough for two pints on pint night at my favorite watering hole.

Which test did you get?  I always go for W-6.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2016, 01:31:25 pm »
Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your help!

Most of the time, once you know what your water analysis is, it won't change.  So one test every year or 2 is pretty much all you need. 

We get our local water from a reservoir, and because of that fact, I opted for the RO adjustments simply because of the seasonal changes that occur regarding runoff and meltwater in the different seasons.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2016, 01:37:08 pm »

$42 is most likely the W-5A kit, which is the W-6 plus Iron and Phosphorous levels.

Offline Erik_Mog

• Assistant Brewer
  • Still a NEWB, but learning and getting better.....
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2016, 01:39:14 pm »

$42 is most likely the W-5A kit, which is the W-6 plus Iron and Phosphorous levels.

It was the W-5A
Bottled/Drinking:  Born Again Heathenweizen, Mongrel Belgian
Fermenting:  None
Future:  Undecided...too many to choose from

Doggie Mutt Brewing Co.
"Beer....Because people suck."

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2016, 01:45:24 pm »
Most of the time, once you know what your water analysis is, it won't change.

That's probably true for a lot of places, but some that use a variety of sources especially places that treat surface water from rivers, streams, etc. will get some seasonal variation in both the water and treatment.  The areas in Louisiana that use aquifers see little variation, but the ones that use surface water will usually see changes at least twice a year and sometimes more often depending on rainfall and what's going on upstream.

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
Affordable Water Testing Kits
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2016, 02:54:20 pm »
http://braukaiser.com/wiki/index.php?title=At_home_water_testing

This part is important for greater accuracy.  I went further and increased sample to 20ml(0.25dh = 4.475ppm).

"The concentration of the test solution is designed such that each drop contains enough acid to neutralize 1 dH or 17.8 ppm as CaCO3 in 5 ml water. As a result the precision of the test can be increased by increasing the sample size to 10 ml and assuming that each drop stands for 0.5 dH or 8.9 ppm as CaCO3."

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 03:05:09 pm by juggabrew303 »

Offline charles1968

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2016, 12:56:15 am »
Salifert alkalinity test kit from Amazon is great. It's designed for aquariums and works much like the one in juggabrew's link.

You might also be able to get levels of some minerals from your water supplier.

Offline mitchbrew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2016, 10:50:23 am »
Hello everyone,

Thank you for your help! As I'll be moving to a new place within the year, and another two years after that, I'd prefer a cheaper "at home" option that I can do myself. It looks like the aquarium kits mentioned above will do the trick to at least give me an idea of what water I have.

Thank you!

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2016, 03:34:16 pm »
Another option is to call some local breweries or talk to the brewer face to face if there around.  Most of them will be happy to help and some may give you their water report for the quarter. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk