Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Rubber/Plastic Smell from Ultra Barrier Silver Draft Lines?  (Read 3072 times)

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
Has anyone else encountered this?

I've heard of excess foam, but I'm having no issues with that. Only the first pour is affected, all the rest are fine. Thinking the beer sitting in the lines is collecting this off flavor from the tubing.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Rubber/Plastic Smell from Ultra Barrier Silver Draft Lines?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2016, 05:57:42 pm »
I haven't noticed any of that, Phil. Actually I think it's better as compared to standard vinyl tubing as far as not leaving any carryover flavor. When I replaced my old tubing with Ultra Barrier Silver, I ran hot water through the tap, then flushed thoroughly with Star San.
Jon H.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2016, 06:00:33 pm »
I ran hot water through the tubing to clean it before I cut it to length and installed it.

Weird thing is, I never noticed any odd smells/flavors from my old vinyl tubing. Only issue was foaming. Now I'm not getting foaming issues, but I have plastic smells...

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2016, 06:09:54 pm »
I ran hot water through the tubing to clean it before I cut it to length and installed it.

Weird thing is, I never noticed any odd smells/flavors from my old vinyl tubing. Only issue was foaming. Now I'm not getting foaming issues, but I have plastic smells...

If you have a spare keg, you might run some Star San through too. That barrier line is supposed to be smell neutral and mine seems to be. Maybe there is a fine layer of 'something' in yours. I know Amanda K uses barrier line and loves that hers has no carryover smells. I don't get it.
Jon H.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2016, 06:16:36 pm »
I might just go ahead and hit it with some BLC as well while I'm at it.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2016, 01:45:14 pm »
I've noticed some form of that off flavor in pretty much any beer line I have tried.  It is more intense in some lines than in others (in my experience, even in different batches of the exact same brand).

I recently replaced my lines with the ultra barrier silver product, and the beer that sits in the lines definitely develops that flavor.  If I haven't poured a beer for a day or so, I pour and drink the first oz. or two before filling up my glass all the way.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline callacave

• 1st Kit
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 12:50:03 pm »
I've noticed some form of that off flavor in pretty much any beer line I have tried.  It is more intense in some lines than in others (in my experience, even in different batches of the exact same brand).

I recently replaced my lines with the ultra barrier silver product, and the beer that sits in the lines definitely develops that flavor.  If I haven't poured a beer for a day or so, I pour and drink the first oz. or two before filling up my glass all the way.

This.

I don't know why people can't taste plastic from their lines. Maybe they're pouring a huge stein of brew, and diluting the plastic flavor. I've tried most lines including the ultra barrier silver, and still can get that taste if they sit for a day, or even less at times.

The best lines are the Accuflex Bev-Seal Ultra. They're the most difficult and cumbersome to work with, but get some John Guest fittings and be done with it. I can pour a 1 oz sample with no off flavors. I'll never go back to any other line.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 06:40:10 pm »
Well, here's an update. The keg of mild kicked yesterday, and though the smell was still present, it was very faint. It's completely undetectable in the kegs of bitter. Had to have been some residue from manufacturing. We'll see how the next keg fares.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 10:15:03 pm »

This.

I don't know why people can't taste plastic from their lines. Maybe they're pouring a huge stein of brew, and diluting the plastic flavor. I've tried most lines including the ultra barrier silver, and still can get that taste if they sit for a day, or even less at times.

The best lines are the Accuflex Bev-Seal Ultra. They're the most difficult and cumbersome to work with, but get some John Guest fittings and be done with it. I can pour a 1 oz sample with no off flavors. I'll never go back to any other line.
By "difficult and cumbersome" do you mean they are stiff and inflexible or hard to put fittings on and such?
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline callacave

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2016, 08:27:42 am »
Yes, if you're using barbs they can be a little tricky to get on. You have to heat them up to slip them on. They're definitely more rigid than any other line out there. It can be a turn off to some, but the pros outweigh the cons in my opinion.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2016, 12:59:16 pm »
Yes, if you're using barbs they can be a little tricky to get on. You have to heat them up to slip them on. They're definitely more rigid than any other line out there. It can be a turn off to some, but the pros outweigh the cons in my opinion.
Hmmm...The less flexible part could be a problem in the tight confines of my mini-fridge turned kegerater.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2016, 01:09:20 pm »
I always boil new plastic lines.
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2016, 06:37:56 pm »
I always boil new plastic lines.

I ran boiling water through my barrier lines after installing. Carryover odor is drastically less than with standard lines IMO.
Jon H.