Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: CO2 supply source and gas filtration  (Read 1977 times)

Offline beerdoodle

• 1st Kit
CO2 supply source and gas filtration
« on: July 08, 2016, 02:37:06 pm »
Alright, I'm fairly new to brewing. I have been doing extracts all spring and summer. My dad (brewing partner) and I are planning on going all-grain next spring, but FIRST we want kegs. We're currently bottling. I have a few questions for you.

First, where do you get CO2 filled? Do local homebrew shops do it? Gas supply store? We have a local welding service place that will fill them rather cheaply, but I'm not sure if there is a difference in gasses. Is there a "food grade" CO2, or is it all the same?

Secondly, is it common to filter CO2? I'm a little concerned about contaminates getting into my beer from the CO2, I know it can be a dirty gas. So, do any of you fellow homebrewers use air filters on your CO2 lines? They are pretty cheap so I'm thinking about getting one when I build my CO2 system. If you do, what specific filters are you using?

Lastly, (this may be better as it's own post) what is better, filtering beer between fermentation and keg, or using gelatin to get clarity? What are the main pros and cons of each? I can see starting out using gelatin and then adding proper filtration later on because it's cheaper. What will happen if I don't filter at all? Do I need to let it condition in a keg for a while? Will I have problems with sediment and yeast in the keg?

Thanks,
Seth

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Re: CO2 supply source and gas filtration
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2016, 04:13:19 pm »
First, where do you get CO2 filled? Do local homebrew shops do it? Gas supply store? We have a local welding service place that will fill them rather cheaply, but I'm not sure if there is a difference in gasses. Is there a "food grade" CO2, or is it all the same?

Some homebrew shops do fill CO2 tanks.  Otherwise, I would check and see if there is an Airgas store in your area. 

www.airgas.com

The tanks I get from Airgas have a sticker on them that say the CO2 is food grade.  Whether that really means anything, I don't know.

Secondly, is it common to filter CO2? I'm a little concerned about contaminates getting into my beer from the CO2, I know it can be a dirty gas.

They do make in-line CO2 filters: http://www.micromatic.com/filters/in-line-co2-purifier-770sg-l1300

I don't think they are commonly used by homebrewers.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2016, 04:21:42 pm »
CO2 is CO2....I don't think I've ever seen food grade CO2 and I've been using it for 15 years.  I get mine filled (actually I swap) at a fire supply place.  In 15 years and many tanks, there's never been a hint of a problem.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2016, 04:41:11 pm »
I get my tanks swapped at a local welding supply shop, the first time I asked this question they laughed at me:) like Denny said co2 is co2.

That being said if a tank is poorly maintained there can be debris or corrosion in the tank but it's not the gas. This was explained to me when they stopped laughing :0

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 07:53:17 pm »
I also swap tanks out at the local welding supply.  There is a grade now where the co2 is supposed to be "inspected" (the mental visual of that is hilarious) for beer and soda use.  Of course, they add on a $4-$5 extra charge.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 05:32:02 am »
I wonder how long it will be before some enterprising supplier starts selling "organic" CO2?
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline leejoreilly

• Assistant Brewer
  • Washington, MI
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 06:34:59 am »
I wonder how long it will be before some enterprising supplier starts selling "organic" CO2?

I'm not using it unless it's "artisanal", too.

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2016, 01:32:20 pm »

I'm not using it unless it's "artisanal", too.
And Gluten free

Offline Joe Sr.

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 06:11:34 pm »
I use heirloom co2.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton