Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First all grain brew day  (Read 3217 times)

Offline Erik_Mog

• Assistant Brewer
  • Still a NEWB, but learning and getting better.....
Re: First all grain brew day
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2016, 10:42:55 am »
Heck of a job getting it all done before Lunch time.  My buddy and I can't manage to get it done that quickly and it sounds like you went at it alone!  (we also have to wait for the grain store to open so they're milled fresh the morning of).

Keep up the good work, take meticulous notes and perfect the process :)

How are you fermenting?
I kept notes on everything I did this morning, with temps, volumes, times, etc.
It will be going in my chest freezer with the controller set for 65F.  I am using WY1450 (Denny's Favorite).

One thing you could look into if you all ready have a chest freezer is this:
http://www.etcsupply.com/ranco-etc211000000-stage-prewired-temperature-controller-p-110.html

I keep my Fermenter wrapped in a FermWrap and blankets (to prevent direct cooling on Fermenter) and allow the Switch to temperature correct everything.  Works like a charm.  Just an idea for the future :)

I have an InkBird ITC-308 hooked up to it.
Bottled/Drinking:  Born Again Heathenweizen, Mongrel Belgian
Fermenting:  None
Future:  Undecided...too many to choose from

Doggie Mutt Brewing Co.
"Beer....Because people suck."

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2016, 11:43:52 am »
Heck of a job getting it all done before Lunch time.  My buddy and I can't manage to get it done that quickly and it sounds like you went at it alone!  (we also have to wait for the grain store to open so they're milled fresh the morning of).

Keep up the good work, take meticulous notes and perfect the process :)

How are you fermenting?

Tightly sealed paper bag stored in a cool, dry closet if it's only a few days.  If it's longer, I put that in a plastic trash bag, still stored in a cool dry closet.  I once had a heart attack after I had grain crushed for a German pils and dind't get to it for 5 months.  It was still fine.

FWIW, I often crush grain several days, or even a week or more, in advance and it doesn't seem to make any difference if stored properly.

How do you store?  Air tight bag? Refrigerate?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2016, 11:44:44 am »

I got the grain on Wednesday, and left in the bag sealed up tight in a bucket.

Thank you for the tip, maybe I'll buy the night before next time!

Doesn't hurt, but isn't necessary.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Erik_Mog

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2016, 12:52:33 pm »
Pitched my starter about 20 min ago. OG before pitching was 1.053 (1.052 was what BeerSmith Estimated). All in all, I think I did pretty good for a first time. 75.8% mash efficiency and 74.8% overall Brewhouse efficiency according to BS. I designed the recipe using the default 72% in BS. Got to thank everyone that answered all my questions and helped my with the recipe. You guys, and Gals, made this a pretty painless adventure.

Doggie Mutt Brewing Co.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2016, 01:06:22 pm »
Good on ya!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Hand of Dom

• Brewer
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2016, 02:55:11 am »
Glad it all went smoothly.
Dom

Currently drinking - Amarillo saison
Currently fermenting - Pale ale 1 - 2017

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #21 on: June 26, 2016, 10:34:17 am »
Sounds like you nailed it!  Great job!
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline Erik_Mog

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2016, 10:40:04 am »
Took a peek in the chest freezer this morning, and the airlock is bubbling like crazy.  Denny's Favorite must like what it is eating.  I used 1056 and WB-06 in my extract batches, and never had activity this strong.

Doggie Mutt Brewing Co.

Offline Erik_Mog

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #23 on: July 03, 2016, 01:58:31 pm »
I'll be bottling this probably on Saturday. I plan to cold crash it starting Wednesday before I go to work. It is clearing some now, but lots of yeast still in suspension (used WY1450). Just took a sample and it was 1.011, same as it was after 5 days so it's done. I tasted the sample as well. It looks, smells, and tastes like beer, but that's about it. It will be drinkable, but it's not anything outstanding. There is very little aroma and flavor from the hops or the sweet orange peel. I will have to do it again, and up the late addition and dry hops, as well as add more orange peel to it along with the dry hops. 4oz total of hops, and the peel only in the last 10 min of the boil just didn't do it for this beer. The color looks just like what i was going for though. It may taste better after sitting a bit longer until I get it bottled, and then a couple of weeks in the bottle. I don't see it as a total failure. I made drinkable beer on my first all grain attempt. Not exactly the beer I was hoping for, but beer none the less.

Doggie Mutt Brewing Co.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #24 on: July 03, 2016, 02:48:25 pm »
Carbonation will make a big difference.  The pH will drop due to carbonic acid, making the flavor more tart and more refreshing.  Also, the aromatics will be more pronounced because of the effervescence.

Congrats on your first AG batch!
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge