Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Sorry Guest, you are banned from posting and sending personal messages on this forum.
This ban is set to expire October 13, 2024, 08:19:18 am.

Author Topic: Crock Pot  (Read 2038 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Crock Pot
« on: June 28, 2016, 08:57:03 am »
Since someone brought it up on another thread, I think the crock pot is an amazing piece of cookware. We actually have four of them. One is on the small side and my grandmother gave it to me when I got my first apartment in college. The next is slightly larger and works well for a meal. The third is oval and can cook large meals. The fourth is a three crock pot serving dish which is great for keeping things warm for awhile.

There is not much better than putting country style ribs in the crock pot with some vinegary barbecue sauce and coming home to have cue ready to eat by simply pulling out the bones and breaking up the meat with a fork.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
Re: Crock Pot
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 12:40:10 pm »
Ours gets a work out but mostly for stew type meals. Recipe usually is veggies seasonings meat (seasoned) and 1 cup of wine. Pretty basic but tasty.

If you ever get your hands on a pre-1990 cook-booklet that came with them, they have some pretty neat recipes.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 12:48:05 pm »
I've been making French Onion soup in ours. Sliced half moons go in at 10pm and cook on low until 10am when broth and herbs are added.

Offline dls5492

• Brewer
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 01:39:11 pm »
I enjoy my crock pot. I love to make soups and stews with it in the winter time.
I also make my own poultry stock (using turkey and chicken bones) and beef stock (using beef marrow bones). Coming home to a home-made chicken noodle soup, or a beef-vegetable soup and a good home brew is heavenly. I like a porter with the beef-vegetable soup and a amber ale with the chicken noodle soup.
David S.
Cedar Falls, IA
Club: Cedar River Association of Zymurgy Enthusiasts (CRAZE)

And the Lord is the Spirit; and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. II Cor. 3:17

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 03:24:00 pm »
We got one recently, and I haven't really been thrilled with it.  Everything I have tried to make has a certain "crock pot" flavor to it.

Any advice or recipes to share?  I'd like to use it more often if possible.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Stevie

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 03:37:28 pm »
My wife got this cookbook at her bridal shower and we use it frequently. Has various types of cuisines. I like the butter chicken.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1623153867/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_A3UCxbKPZC8QE

One thing to watch out for is recipes telling you to add flour or starch without first making a rue. Never works right.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 08:07:03 pm »
I think the simplest recipe we make is an Americanized carnitas. One nice chunk of pork, quickly browned in a hot pan then into the crock with 12oz coke zero, nothing else. It sounds crazy, but it's crazy good. No coke flavor left over, just tender pork goodness. Fork tender, separates easily in the remaining juices and goes wonderfully with home made guacamole and fresh corn salsa. I think the missus got the recipe from "skinny girl" or even maybe weight watchers. Also make a lot of barbacoa in it with a couple adobe peppers and a little beef stock. Nothing authentic about either recipe, but I assure you they taste delicious and could not get much easier. Never noticed any crock pot flavor in anything that has come out of it
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2016, 08:37:19 am »
We got one recently, and I haven't really been thrilled with it.  Everything I have tried to make has a certain "crock pot" flavor to it.

Any advice or recipes to share?  I'd like to use it more often if possible.

Brown the meat before you put it in the crock pot.
If you can find some recipes from cooks illustrated they are pretty good but take as much time and use as many pots as if you made it in an oven.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2016, 10:59:48 am »
I think the simplest recipe we make is an Americanized carnitas. One nice chunk of pork, quickly browned in a hot pan then into the crock with 12oz coke zero, nothing else. It sounds crazy, but it's crazy good. No coke flavor left over, just tender pork goodness. Fork tender, separates easily in the remaining juices and goes wonderfully with home made guacamole and fresh corn salsa. I think the missus got the recipe from "skinny girl" or even maybe weight watchers. Also make a lot of barbacoa in it with a couple adobe peppers and a little beef stock. Nothing authentic about either recipe, but I assure you they taste delicious and could not get much easier. Never noticed any crock pot flavor in anything that has come out of it
I've done the Coke & pork thing many times and I'm a huge fan, but I've always been afraid to try it with diet soda in fear of getting an artificial sweetener flavor. I'm glad to hear this works, because I always have Cherry Coke Zero and Pepsi Max on hand, but rarely have the sugary stuff.

When I do the Coke thing, I usually throw in an equal portion of apple juice and a whole onion cut into thick rings. If I'm doing tacos I'll usually add some cumin and oregano. If it's BBQ style pulled pork, I'll just add some Sweet Baby Ray's when I shred it afterwards (or just let everyone who wants it to add it on the side - it doesn't even need sauce most of the time).
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2016, 01:07:33 pm »
I like to use ours for soups and stews.  The French onion soup where you slow cook the onions first has been on my list for a while.

My wife uses ours more than I do.  She makes a pretty mean shredded pork with just some pork, salsa, and hot peppers.  She has also done the soda thing using ginger ale. Then we add some slap ya mama hot seasoning.  I just ate and am getting hungry again.
Mark

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #10 on: June 30, 2016, 10:35:12 pm »
place brots into crock pot. cover with beer.....put lid on crock pot....set on low....
hours later go visit nirvana
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.