Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Irish Red and Brown ale blend?  (Read 1932 times)

Offline gleece

• 1st Kit
Irish Red and Brown ale blend?
« on: June 29, 2016, 05:12:16 pm »
I stopped brewing a few months ago because we are moving soon and I didn't want to give away or transport excess beer. A friend of mine is coming to visit me in July and now I want to have some home brew for him to try. I ordered a 2-pak on Amazon of Northern Brewer's one gallon extract kits: one of the Irish Red ale and the other of the Caribou Slobber brown ale. I don't want to bottle (and there isn't enough time for priming) so I was thinking of brewing the two beers, letting them ferment for about 12 days and then blending both of them into my 2.5 gallon keg. I would only be able to carb them for about 4-6 days before drinking. Would blending those two beers be a terrible thing?

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Irish Red and Brown ale blend?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2016, 05:17:25 pm »
I personally would just pick one. You don't have to fill a keg completely unless you want to. Also I have no experience w kegging except what I've read here. I think blending the 2 will not necessarily result in a beer you want to impress him with. I could be wrong though. More and brighter will chime in though
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2016, 06:10:30 pm »
Blending can be awesome, but sampling is a must.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2016, 07:04:15 pm »
Blending can be awesome, but sampling is a must.

+100
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge