Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Advice on adding Basil to a Saison  (Read 5711 times)

Offline theath3

• 1st Kit
Advice on adding Basil to a Saison
« on: March 16, 2014, 03:53:10 pm »
Working on a new Saison recipe (5-gallons, all-grain) and I would like to incorporate some leaves from the basil plant I've been growing.

Still working out the recipe specifics, but I plan to keep the base recipe somewhat simple.  Pulling info from a couple different past issues of Zymurgy I was thinking mostly Pilsner malt and some flaked oats for the grain bill with a targeted O.G. around 1.055 - 1.065.  Small additions of Styrian Goldings at 60 and 15 minutes for ~30 IBU's.  And I'm still deciding between WY3724 and WY3711 for the yeast (need to do more research here to figure out which provides the esters I'm looking for).

Where I'm completely lost is knowing when to incorporate the basil and how much.  Like other speciality ingredients, I want the basil to be noticeable, especially in the aroma, but not overpowering and unbalanced.

Would like some advice to know how much basil to add (preferably in ounces, since leaves vary in size).  I'm assuming I'll want to add them during secondary, but I'm open to suggestions.  Thanks for the help!  -tim

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Advice on adding Basil to a Saison
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 04:02:57 pm »
I made a basil saison last October. I brewed 10 gallons and before chilling I pulled off about 1 gallon and steeped an ounce of basil leaves and flowers. Steeped for maybe 20 minutes. I then added the steeped wort back to one fermentor leaving 5 gallons without basil.

I thought it turned out very well. It did peak after two months or so. I plan to make it again this year but will keg instead of bottle since it was better when fresh.

I still have some bombers sitting around. I will chill one down tonight.

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
Re: Advice on adding Basil to a Saison
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 07:31:29 am »
I've seen suggestions of 1-2 ounces but I would probably start off with a lesser amount and add more if I felt it needed it.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Stevie

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 05:44:38 pm »
Just cracked open a bomber. Still very tasty with a good basil flavor, but not as tasty and fresh tasting as it was two months ago.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 05:52:59 pm »
Steve, out of curiosity, which saison strain did you use ? And how strong was the basil presence ? I've never used it, but I could see it working in a saison (as long as it didn't overpower).
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 05:56:31 pm »
I'm all about 3711. The basil is strong. If were to brew it again, I would use the same amount, but I like basil and need to do something with the rest of my plant.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 06:01:32 pm »
Cool.  3711 was the strain I was picturing with it. Sounds pretty interesting.
Jon H.

Offline SiameseMoose

• Assistant Brewer
  • Cincinnati, OH
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 07:06:47 pm »
My wife created a recipe, Snake in the Grass, in concert with two local breweries. It's a basil and lemongrass Belgian blond. She used 1.5 ounces of fresh basil, added at knock out. There was 6 ounces of lemongrass in the final 10 minutes of the boil.

Offline theath3

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 07:12:47 pm »
Thanks for all the inputs!

I think I'll go with 1 ounce and see how things turn out.  I really like basil, so I won't mind if my first attempt is a little strong; can always dialback on subsequent attempts.

If I'm just doing a simple 5 gallon batch, would it make sense to add the basil leaves at flame out and allow them to steep while I chill the wort?

Offline Stevie

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 07:25:45 pm »
That's what I would do if I brewed 5 gallons.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 08:08:40 am »
Resurrecting this old thread. I am planning on incorporating some sweet basil and possibly citrus zest into an upcoming saison.

I am planning to keep it very simple and just mince it and add it to the end of the boil. I want to keep the basil flavor reasonably light so was thinking maybe 1/2 oz. Any other advice regarding amounts of fresh basil to use?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Online dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2016, 08:15:02 am »
I've done basil.  Warning: It's powerful.  Like I say with pretty much any herbs... do a bit of research to find out exactly how much you think you should use based on feedback from the interwebs.  Then use only 1/3 as much because they're all wrong.  I used dried basil so not sure how much to use wet.

As for methods of addition, vodka tinctures adding on bottling/kegging day are the only way to go.  Soak overnight then add the flavored vodka.

Cheers!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2016, 08:16:45 am by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2016, 08:19:19 am »
Also any advice on hops to pair with it? I wanted to brew a hoppy saison with a citrusy character but am thinking that it may clash with the basil. Should I stick with something more noble?

Offline Stevie

« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2016, 08:58:37 am »
I've landed on half ounce with mine. I used an ounce once and it was killer, but a buddy did the same and it was way too strong. Different basils? Flowering homegrown versus commercial?

I add at flame out. See above.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2016, 09:29:16 am »
I've landed on half ounce with mine. I used an ounce once and it was killer, but a buddy did the same and it was way too strong. Different basils? Flowering homegrown versus commercial?

I add at flame out. See above.

Thanks! I think I will go with 1/2 oz basil and the zest of a couple of lemons at flameout. Thinking a couple ounces of cascade or centennial too...