Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Feedback requested on IPA recipe  (Read 3564 times)

Offline Erik_Mog

• Assistant Brewer
  • Still a NEWB, but learning and getting better.....
Re: Feedback requested on IPA recipe
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2016, 04:46:11 am »
Erik-
If you are having issues with yeast getting going, I highly recommend you get an oxygen system for aerating.  90 seconds in a 5 gallon batch and your yeast will be quite happy.

I haven't had any problems previously.  I was just questioning my latest starter (I have another thread on that) because it didn't look like there was much yeast in the flack after cold crashing it.  Turns out that once I had poured of the excess wort, there was much more than it looked like.  I started seeing some signs of fermentation after about 5 hours (normally I see it after about 8 hours), and this morning it it bubbling away just fine.  I was concerned about nothing....again, LOL.
Bottled/Drinking:  Born Again Heathenweizen, Mongrel Belgian
Fermenting:  None
Future:  Undecided...too many to choose from

Doggie Mutt Brewing Co.
"Beer....Because people suck."

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2016, 10:15:49 pm »
Any updates?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Erik_Mog

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2016, 04:52:10 am »
Any updates?

It has been in the bottle about 10 days.  I did open one after 7 days, because I was impatient.  It is carbing up nicely, and I am going to wait until Sunday to open another one, just to let it finish up, and the rest of the yeast to drop out.  It was pretty clear though, with the cold crash and gelatin  The aroma is great, bitterness just where I was hoping, and plenty of hop flavor.  I'm sure it will be even better once it is fully carbed, but it is looking to be my best beer yet...though the Czech Lager I am bottling Sunday may give it some competition....but that's another story.  I will post another update once it has fully carbed and I know exactly what the finished product tastes like.  I also gave a bottle to someone that is going to try it on Sunday as well and give their opinion.

Thanks for asking.

Doggie Mutt Brewing Co.

Offline Erik_Mog

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2016, 05:47:39 pm »
I went ahead and opened another tonight.  It is very well carbed, clear and flavorful.  It is pretty much every thing I was hoping this IPA would be.  The bitterness is not over the top, and lingers in the finish, and is bitterness with flavor.  Kind of like you get when eating grapefruit.  Aroma is a blend of floral and citrus notes.  There is definite up front grapefruit flavor from the Cascade, and background citrus from the Amarillo and Cascade.  Even at 7% it goes down smooth.  This is hands down the best beer I have brewed so far, and it will be my regular house IPA (I may brew this as a double at some point, and maybe do it with Mango and Habanero as well,  but I will probably only brew this as my standard AIPA).  Thanks again to everyone who helped me fine tune the recipe.

Pics are in the recent brews thread.

Doggie Mutt Brewing Co.

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2016, 07:27:12 pm »
Thanks for the update, I will be trying this hop schedule out myself but with a SMaSH