Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Yeast and fermentation schedule for cream ale  (Read 4629 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Yeast and fermentation schedule for cream ale
« on: July 04, 2016, 06:28:44 pm »
I'm taking my first shot at a Cream Ale tomorrow. I have most dry yeast strains at my disposal, including US-05, Notty, BRY-97, and 34/70. US-05 is the front-runner, but does anyone have any other suggestions? Any recommendations for a fermentation schedule?
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Yeast and fermentation schedule for cream ale
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 06:35:09 pm »
I make a nice cream ale using 1056 that's done well in comps. I hold 60F for 4 days, then ramp slowly up to ~ 68F. Makes a really clean beer.
Jon H.

Online BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 10:05:41 am »
I believe Cream Ale was the USA answer to all the Pils that was introduced at the time.  Therefore, I believe an American Ale Yeast should be used. Based on that, from those listed, US-05 and Bry-97 would fit best. I've only used Bry-97 once and despite the long lag time it turned out great.
I recommend it.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 11:20:32 am by BrewBama »

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 11:15:34 am »
I make a nice cream ale using 1056 that's done well in comps. I hold 60F for 4 days, then ramp slowly up to ~ 68F. Makes a really clean beer.

Do you do any extended lagering for it, or do you just cold crash/fine before packaging?
Eric B.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 11:21:51 am »

Do you do any extended lagering for it, or do you just cold crash/fine before packaging?

I just cold crash in keg and fine. It's pretty clean right away fermented at those temps. Nothing wrong with a couple of weeks of conditioning, but (once it drops clear) it's ready to drink IMO.
Jon H.

Offline 3bbrewing

• Retailers
  • Cellarman
  • San Diego, CA
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 11:51:38 am »
I've used White Labs 001 & Wyest 1056 at 62F with good results.  I've also had good results with BRY-97 and Notty at that temp.  My best results were with...the dreaded S-23.  :o  I ferment it at 52F x 3 days, 55F x 7 days and then let it rise to ambient temp (depending on time of year, usually in the 70's to 80's) for 3 days to clean up/finish up.  I then fine and cold crash then keg.  Crystal clear though even with just cold crashing it will drop crystal clear in a week or so of lagering.  I've won more medals in the light lager category & the light hybrid beer category using this yeast vs. the others listed above. 

People complain about this yeast; lots of bad reviews but I've only had good luck with it.  Anyway, just throwing S-23 out there for something different to consider vs. what most everyone else uses.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 01:27:19 pm »
Not a dry strain, but my twist on cream ale is to use WY 2565 (kolsch strain) and ferment it cool. It gives a unique aroma to the base beer that keeps me coming back for another sip.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2016, 10:13:53 pm »

I just cold crash in keg and fine. It's pretty clean right away fermented at those temps. Nothing wrong with a couple of weeks of conditioning, but (once it drops clear) it's ready to drink IMO.
I just tapped this tonight and it is amazing. I followed a similar schedule to yours. I used US-05, held it at 60F for the first 5 days, then let it rise to ambient (67F in my basement during this heat) to finish up. I've been in a bit of a rut lately, so I'm calling this my "Slumpbuster Cream Ale".
Eric B.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2016, 10:30:49 am »

I just tapped this tonight and it is amazing. I followed a similar schedule to yours. I used US-05, held it at 60F for the first 5 days, then let it rise to ambient (67F in my basement during this heat) to finish up. I've been in a bit of a rut lately, so I'm calling this my "Slumpbuster Cream Ale".

Awesome, Eric. Pretty damn good on a hot, humid day!
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2016, 06:57:43 pm »

Awesome, Eric. Pretty damn good on a hot, humid day!
Jinxed myself by calling it a slumpbuster. I walked into my basement just now and noticed that it smelled just like my cream ale. Sure enough, it was all over the floor. Leaky picnic tap = empty keg. Guess I'll be rebrewing this sooner than expected...
Eric B.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 07:05:29 pm »
Man, that just plain sucks, sorry to hear it. I luckily found a loose swivel nut on one of the QDs in my kegerator the other day - the one going to my new Brewtan Ofest. Would've lost that batch. Damn glad I caught it. Who knows, the next batch of your cream ale may be even better. Still sucks.
Jon H.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2016, 09:00:26 pm »
Bad news. Sorry about that.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2016, 11:47:02 am »
Damn, that really sucks!  Sorry for your loss. After I lost a batch like that 6 years ago, I am constantly double checking all my fittings everytime I hook things up or keg a batch just to be sure I am not missing anything. To me, the cleanup almost sucks more than losing the batch.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2016, 05:26:12 am »
It always happens when you least expect it.  I too have become a paranoid person about kegs - I constantly check, shut off gas, use lube on gaskets, replace post gaskets, etc... Yet every once in a great while the unexpected happens.  That's when I remind myself that it's time to brew again!
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline JGF

• 1st Kit
« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2016, 03:53:16 pm »
That sucks - been there too. Gave up on picnic taps, in part, for that reason. We had some that worked well if you knew what you were doing but those that hadn't used them before didn't know how to close them and on the floor it went.
Maunesha River (Home)Brewing