Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Hops between 60 and 20 min?  (Read 3515 times)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
Hops between 60 and 20 min?
« on: July 05, 2016, 06:25:52 am »
Is there any good reason to boil hops between 60 and 20 min?  Seems like it wastes IBUs on one end and flavor on the other? 
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
Re: Hops between 60 and 20 min?
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 06:57:24 am »
My thoughts exactly.  I desire always to put hops either at the beginning of the boil, or the very end like in the last 5 minutes.  Anything else means that the recipe formulator either subscribes to ancient Papazianisms that aren't necessary ("flavor additions happen at 15-30 minutes" or whatever), or couldn't make up their mind if they wanted flavor & aroma or bitterness.  Late additions give you both flavor and aroma, regardless of whether boiled for 20 minutes, 15, 10, 5, 2, or zero.  Even bittering additions actually give you some flavor, but much of it is boiled away.  I make fine lagers with just bittering additions that taste spicy from the Hallertau used as the bittering hops.  If you want subtle hop flavor in any recipe, consider whether you need any late additions at all.  Play around with it.  But you're right.  Anything 20 minutes or longer is doing a little bit of both bittering and flavor, which is kind of silly when you can just pick one or the other.  If you want both, then skip all the middlemen and do additions both at the beginning and the end of the boil.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 06:59:10 am by dmtaylor »
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 07:08:02 am »
Is there any good reason to boil hops between 60 and 20 min?  Seems like it wastes IBUs on one end and flavor on the other? 

No good reason IMO. I bitter @ 60 and/or FWH and get flavor/aroma in the last 15 mins (or whirlpool/hopstand on hoppy beers).
Jon H.

Offline toby

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Galvez, LA
    • Beer Judge Chronicles
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 08:27:20 am »
I have gone to only 3 hop additions on my hoppy beers.  FWH for bittering.  Flameout/Whirlpool for flavor.  Dry/Keg Hop for aroma.  Staged additions are more trouble than they're worth, IMO.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 09:40:43 am »
These days, I usually do FWH, 60 min., 1 min. and dry hops.  But some of my best recipes, like my Rye IPA, have 30 min. additions.  I've tried it without that and it just doesn't come out right.  So I say "never say never".  Try things, assess if they work for you and do what seems to make the beer you want to have.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 09:45:52 pm »
These days, I usually do FWH, 60 min., 1 min. and dry hops.  But some of my best recipes, like my Rye IPA, have 30 min. additions.  I've tried it without that and it just doesn't come out right.  So I say "never say never".  Try things, assess if they work for you and do what seems to make the beer you want to have.
Did you objectively identify the non 30 min addition beer (or vise versa) with a triangle test?

Offline TexasHumuluslupulushead

• Assistant Brewer
  • Austin Zealot
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2016, 06:29:23 am »

No good reason IMO. I bitter @ 60 and/or FWH and get flavor/aroma in the last 15 mins (or whirlpool/hopstand on hoppy beers).

+1. We dont need no stinking boil additions!  FWH and Whirpool only
I feel sorry for people who don't drink. When they wake up in the morning, that's as good as they're going to feel all day.    -- Dean Martin

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2016, 09:46:06 am »
Did you objectively identify the non 30 min addition beer (or vise versa) with a triangle test?

Nope.  I know that beer so well that it wasn't necessary.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline homebrewdad7

• Assistant Brewer
    • Homebrew Dad
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2016, 03:31:43 pm »
I agree.  These days, my hop additions are almost always a small bittering addition (usually FWH, sometimes 60 min), a small 10 minute addition, a decently sized flameout addition, and a massive dry hop.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2016, 07:49:15 pm »
Right now I'm at 60-min and whirlpool for everything. I have been toying with replacing dry hops by moving my whirlpool down to 120F. I'm not sold on it yet as a dry-hop replacement for every beer, but it's close enough for me often enough.

I will be brewing a 120F whirlpool-only (no boil hops) beer in the next few months. I'll probably send that one to a lab for IBU analysis.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2016, 08:31:46 pm »
I just sent my most recent IPA to the lab for ABV and IBU. I've never done this before and I'm very interested to  find out the true values versus what BeerSmith says.  Especially since I whirlpool at 175 for 30 minutes. I should probably make the same beer without the whirlpool and send that too and compare.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline MJK

• Cellarman
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2016, 08:16:20 pm »
Sorry, old post
There are always soo many opinion out there especially with hops.

Depends on what you want out of the hops and your beer.
Never say never as Denny said. Listen to the Denny

Have fun
your beer WILL be delicious.