Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: bad sanitizer  (Read 1952 times)

Offline wacky packy

• 1st Kit
bad sanitizer
« on: July 17, 2016, 12:32:50 pm »
I accidentally used bad star san that I saved from brew day to sanitize the siphon and carboy when I transferred it to secondary. I did not notice until the beer was already transferred. I guess the sanitizer bucket was not fully sealed and when I went to dump it I noticed some mold on the lid and some blue residue possibly mold in the bottom of the bucket.

Is there a chance the beer will survive? Should I wait and see how it tastes in a couple weeks or dump it? Last time I try to save a buck by holding onto star san.

If anyone could help I would appreciate it!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Re: bad sanitizer
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2016, 01:20:35 pm »
Sure, there's a pretty decent chance you'll be OK.  By the time the beer is finished, the alcohol and low pH offer some protection.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2016, 04:18:30 pm »
I've had mold on the lid of my star san bucket before. I figure so long as it's not actually growing on the star san I'm good to go.

That being said, this is a good demonstration of how star san isn't very effective against mold and yeast. Usually isn't an issue, but something to be aware of. I use star san and iodophor, so far so good.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline MJK

• Cellarman
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2016, 07:48:48 pm »
Good info all around.
Thanks and have fun

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2016, 08:56:18 pm »
I make up star-san in 2-1/2 gal. batches with RO water and store in gallon glass jugs.  Keeps for 3-5 months no problem.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 01:48:07 pm »
I make up star-san in 2-1/2 gal. batches with RO water and store in gallon glass jugs.  Keeps for 3-5 months no problem.

Yep. I make up a  5 gallon batch with straight distilled and store it in bucket with lid. Lasts for months and many batches. Only time I switch it out is when too much stuff starts to collect at the bottom of the bucket. Even then sometimes, I will carefully rack the clean star san above it into another container and continue to use it. Works great.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 01:49:15 pm »
Yep. I make up a  5 gallon batch with straight distilled and store it in bucket with lid. Lasts for months and many batches. Only time I switch it out is when too much stuff starts to collect at the bottom of the bucket. Even then sometimes, I will carefully rack the clean star san above it into another container and continue to use it. Works great.

Same thing I do.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2016, 01:58:50 pm »

Same thing I do.
Here as well. I just started topping off as well.

I do get small patches of mold in the groves under the lid. I just clean and replace.

Offline CVas

• 1st Kit
  • Master of my domain
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 02:07:40 pm »

Same thing I do.

Quick question, you can use the sanitizer again after it has been used once to sanitize other equipment? I had been disposing of it after first use usually, and this may change after reading this.
"Its not a lie, if you believe it."

-George Costanza

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2016, 02:09:15 pm »

Same thing I do.

Quick question, you can use the sanitizer again after it has been used once to sanitize other equipment? I had been disposing of it after first use usually, and this may change after reading this.

As long as the pH is below 3, it's still good to use.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2016, 02:10:35 pm »
Starsan yes, iodophor no

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2016, 02:13:07 pm »
Making a star san batch with distilled water is highly recommended for this since there are virtually no minerals in it which allows the pH to stay at 3 or under over time.

Offline bengelbrau

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2016, 06:53:00 pm »
I find it's easier for my process to buy a one gallon jug of distilled for 88 cents at the store who must not be named, squirt in 6 ml of Star San, shake, and go. Turnover is fast enough that I don't get a lot of sludge, and it's easy to store and use.

Offline Werks21

• Assistant Brewer
  • Enterprising brewer and aspiring beer judge
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2016, 08:00:10 pm »
Making a star san batch with distilled water is highly recommended for this since there are virtually no minerals in it which allows the pH to stay at 3 or under over time.

So thats why distilled water is recommended.... I have always used tap and had no problems keeping starsan under PH 3 for many months. however my tap water is just about void of most minerals
Jonathan W.
Snohomish WA