Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Split batch using two different yeasts-beer color question  (Read 1612 times)

Offline Beachside

• 1st Kit
Split batch using two different yeasts-beer color question
« on: July 02, 2016, 06:36:17 pm »
I used 1272 on half and PNW Ale yeast in the other. The 1272 batch is noticeably darker, so my question is, does yeast affect beer color? Or did I pick up more troob and that caused it?
Thanking you in advance,
Eric

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
Re: Split batch using two different yeasts-beer color question
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 07:56:36 pm »
How did you transfer the beer to the fermentors? Which was first and which was second? Did you chill and settle in the kettle first?

I don't have any data about yeast impacting color, but it seems unlikely to have any significant impact. I'd be much more inclined to look at things that would impact wort composition. Wort tends to stratify pretty quickly, so with any settling period I would imagine you could see darker (and likely higher gravity) wort settling to the bottom. As you mentioned, trub in suspension could also have an impact, but that should settle out.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2016, 09:57:30 am »
Is the beer done fermenting?  One yeast could be less flocculant than the other and that will affect color.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 12:57:50 pm »
Is the beer done fermenting?  One yeast could be less flocculant than the other and that will affect color.

This is exactly what I thought when I first read the post. A less flocculant yeast will remain in supension longer in greater numbers causing the beer to appear "lighter" in color vs another beer that the yeast have dropped out of suspension lending the real, darker color of the beer to show.

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 01:32:35 pm »
Doh. Yeah, what he said.

Offline Beachside

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 07:35:46 pm »
Thank you for the replies!
I think I may have been due to using two different sized glass carboys. I have a quick connect on my boil pot with a splitter and hoses so I can fill both fermeters. The 5 gallon filled up (Well before the troob), minus head space and the 6.5 took more wort along with some troob.
Yes, it was done fermenting, I actually left it on the yeast for and extra week because I was out of town.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 07:37:59 pm by Beachside »

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 07:44:15 pm »
So you never compared two similarly sized samples in two similar glasses? If not, that's your issue.

Offline Beachside

• 1st Kit
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 09:07:23 pm »
The beer has been bottled and conditioned, and yes I poured them side by side to see the color difference.