Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Oktoberfest Ale  (Read 10697 times)

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
Oktoberfest Ale
« on: July 05, 2016, 10:51:36 am »
I am wanting to do an Oktoberfest beer here pretty soon, however I do not have the ability to lager. I don't have any kind of temp controller aside from swamp cooler/ ice.

I am wondering if there are any good recipes out there to do this. I know it wont taste exactly like an Oktoberfest, but im hoping someone has some experience doing this.

Can I just take an Oktoberfest recipe and use ale yeast instead? Has anyone tried this with success? I was looking at this recipe as a potential candidate.

https://byo.com/stories/issue/item/3099-classic-oktoberfest-maerzen

Thanks!

Offline BrewBama

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Oktoberfest Ale
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2016, 11:25:48 am »
I have brewed a (M)Oktoberfest that turned out pretty good. I believe you have many options. For instance, you could use California Common yeast which is a true lager yeast that performs well at Ale temps. Another option could be Mangrove Jac's workhorse yeast which they say is lager-like. Another could be K-97 German Ale yeast which produces clean, clear beer such as Kolsch which is a lager-like beer.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 11:35:22 am by BrewBama »

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2016, 12:14:03 pm »
I have brewed a (M)Oktoberfest that turned out pretty good. I believe you have many options. For instance, you could use California Common yeast which is a true lager yeast that performs well at Ale temps. Another option could be Mangrove Jac's workhorse yeast which they say is lager-like. Another could be K-97 German Ale yeast which produces clean, clear beer such as Kolsch which is a lager-like beer.

interesting. So I could really use whatever recipe and just substitute for a lager like yeast?

Also you mentioned the California common yeast performs well at ale temps, but don't higher temps usually cause off flavors?

Offline fatguybrew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2016, 12:19:15 pm »
You need to be able to get your fermentation temp down to about 60. If it is possible to get it that low (i.e: Water bath with ice) you should be able to do a very Oktoberfest like ale. The California Common Yeast wants to be kept around 60. But regardless, IMO you are better of using a German Strain with similar temp requirements like a Kolsch or German Dusseldorf Alt yeast. I have had very good success with the Alt strain. Always a fall favorite round my house. Not quite as dry as a MArzen, but damn good!

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2016, 12:30:21 pm »
I really love the Wyeast 1007 altbier yeast.  I'll bet it's as close as anyone can get to a true lager without lagering.  It would be helpful if you can use ice blocks to get it down to about 60 F if you can.  And/or, run an experiment and try it warm and see how that turns out.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline deadpoetic0077

• Assistant Brewer
  • Noobie
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2016, 12:52:06 pm »
Those both sound like a great idea. I haven't tried yet, but Im thinking with a swamp cooler/ ice I may be able to get the temps low enough! Well see! Thanks for the help everyone!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2016, 01:09:54 pm »
Like Dave says, WY1007 is as close to a lager yeast as you can get in an ale yeast.  But no matter what yeast you use, it won't be very lager like unless you can find a way to ferment it cool and somehow keep it cold afterwards.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2016, 01:21:50 pm »
Like Dave says, WY1007 is as close to a lager yeast as you can get in an ale yeast.  But no matter what yeast you use, it won't be very lager like unless you can find a way to ferment it cool and somehow keep it cold afterwards.

I don't know. Some of Brulosophy's exbeeriments might casually suggest that fermentis 34/70 can ferment above 60F with decent "lager-like" results. That dry strain seems to be fairly forgiving. That might also be an option for you. But either way, keeping your initial fermentation as cool as you can is really the key to producing a mock lager.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2016, 01:35:17 pm »

I don't know. Some of Brulosophy's exbeeriments might casually suggest that fermentis 34/70 can ferment above 60F with decent "lager-like" results. That dry strain seems to be fairly forgiving. That might also be an option for you. But either way, keeping your initial fermentation as cool as you can is really the key to producing a mock lager.

Brulosophy also had great success with WLP029 Kolsch yeast which I would also recommend trying.  Very clean stuff indeed, even in upper 60s in my experience.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline dannyjed

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Toledo, OH
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2016, 02:54:12 pm »

I made a German Pils with 34/70 and fermented at 60 degrees. There were no fruity esters whatsoever and it tasted clean like a fine lager should.
Dan Chisholm

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2016, 03:10:03 pm »
Another +1 for 2124/830/34-70 @ 60F. It's surprisingly clean at that temp - not as clean necessarily as a 50F ferment but clean enough not to be thought of as a 'mocktoberfest'.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2016, 03:41:46 pm »
I agree wholeheartedly with all the recommendations for W34/70. You will come closer to a lager style beer using 34/70 at ale temps than trying to use an ale yeast. It is my "desert island" strain - you can use it to brew just about anything except hefeweizen and Belgian ales.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2016, 03:54:26 pm »
Check out my Last Drop column in the Mar/Apr 2016 issue of Zymurgy for a piece on brewing lager without temperature control.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2016, 04:00:00 pm »
But you can top crop wy1007 for a nice clean pitch of yeast for your next beer ;)
Jesse

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2016, 06:56:06 pm »

interesting. So I could really use whatever recipe and just substitute for a lager like yeast?

Also you mentioned the California common yeast performs well at ale temps, but don't higher temps usually cause off flavors?

Great advice above. ...but yes, Cali Common is a true lager yeast used to ferment at Ale temps.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk