Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Can 2 yeast strains be used in one batch?  (Read 5713 times)

Offline MountainBrew

• 1st Kit
Can 2 yeast strains be used in one batch?
« on: June 30, 2016, 04:07:40 pm »
I have one extract batch of Belgian ale under my belt, and it was good at 6.5 ABV, but I'm shooting for closer to 9%. I plan to add a couple of pounds of Munton's light DME and some honey to the next batch to increase the OG. The first batch was fermented with SafeBrew T-58 dry yeast, and the esters were very nice, but I question it's ability to tolerate higher alcohol content.

I have obtained a vial of White Labs 099 Super High Gravity yeast. My question is can I use the T-58 yeast initially for the esters, then pitch the high gravity yeast after a week or so to complete the fermentation. Or put another way, will two different strains of yeast "go to war" with one another? I'm shooting for something similar to Victory Golden Monkey (9.5%).

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Can 2 yeast strains be used in one batch?
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2016, 04:17:51 pm »
Absolutely. Been doing it for years. Overall I pitch a single strain normally, but there are reasons to blend yeast. Sometimes I want a yeast character/performance combo that I can't get from a single strain. Example - pitching 3724 Saison and holding @ low 70s until it wants to stall and then pitching some 3711 (very attenuative and easy to use) to finish the job. You can also pitch an awesome but less flocculant strain with a milder strain that flocs out better and end up with a clearer beer. Or obviously just pitch two strains that you think will complement each other. Have fun with it!
Jon H.

Offline MountainBrew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2016, 04:38:24 pm »
Thanks! I was concerned that different yeast strains might be hostile to each other. I'm thinking that I should initially pitch the T-58 and let it do it's thing, then pitch the high gravity yeast after the initial activity slows to negligible.

Thanks for responding. Best wishes!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2016, 04:41:17 pm »
Two packs of T-58 should have no issue getting to 9-9.5 if you are using simple sugars like honey or table and corn sugar.

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2016, 04:45:45 pm »
Good info I always wondered about doing that but never tried.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jimmykx250

Offline MountainBrew

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2016, 04:56:14 pm »
Thanks! I loved the flavor of the first batch with the T-58. It was much better after 30 days in the bottle, carbonation and sweetness wise. That batch was fermented in February when excessive heat was not a problem. I have since built a dual stage temp controller (Inkbird) and obtained a used refrigerator for total fermentation temperature control, so I can now brew year round!

Thanks to all of you veterans for your advice for us newbies. You are making a huge difference in the evolution of home brewing. I will try to maintain the tradition of sharing my experience with others. Cheers!

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2016, 09:55:04 am »
Two packs of T-58 should have no issue getting to 9-9.5 if you are using simple sugars like honey or table and corn sugar.

For sure. Very few of the available yeasts wouldn't be able to hit 9% or so.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 02:18:19 pm »
I have used one packet of rehydrated T-58 in a belgian tripel before to the tune of 9% no problem. I did incrementally feed the yeast sugar throughout fermentation though to be sure of a dry finish.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2016, 11:08:23 am »
+1 on T-58 having no problem with a 9% beer, especially if you rehydrate 2 packs.
That yeast can go higher.  Don't fear T-58.  It's an excellent yeast, and it can handle high temps and high alcohol well with no ill effects.  The Belgian strains are in general quite happy fermenting warmer than the "typical" ale strains.  In fact, some of them demand it (e.g. the White Labs Saison strain WL565 - it needs to rise up into the 80's to overcome its common dreaded stall).  These yeasts will ferment well, with nice phenolic and ester profiles and none of the harsh fusel alcohols produced by "typical" ale yeasts at warm/high temps.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline MJK

• Cellarman
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2016, 06:34:48 pm »
Sure No Problem

I just used T-58 and found the final gravity was a little higher than I wanted, so I pitched some Nottingham with a little added sugar.
I guess the only advice would be is that if you pitch the second yeast later during fermentation, use a dry yeast since they don't have the oxygen requirements of liquid yeasts.

have fun