Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pale Ale Fermentation  (Read 2667 times)

Offline Cubsfrk86

• 1st Kit
Pale Ale Fermentation
« on: July 06, 2016, 10:19:55 pm »
Hello I'm new to homebrewing and I just started a pale ale Monday. I've been able to maintain my temps between 61 and 66 (at least that's what the temp strip says on my primary fermenter bucket.) Is 61 degrees Fahrenheit too cold for pale ale?

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
Re: Pale Ale Fermentation
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2016, 11:04:37 pm »
Welcome-
No, 61 is a good temp for it.
Let it stay there for about 5 or 6 days then let the temp rise up to about 70 for another week.  The yeast will clean up after themselves and you will get a very nice, clean beer.

Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline Creamyscum

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 12:01:11 pm »
You will be just fine. It may take a bit longer to finish fermentation. Each yeast strain has a recommended temperature range. Low or high sides of the ferment temps can sometimes impart different yeast character, however, for first brew I would not worry one bit. Relax have a brew.

Offline Cubsfrk86

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 10:14:47 pm »
Thank you very much! I'm excited to see how it turns out. It's only my second batch. I really appreciate the feedback!

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2016, 05:22:29 am »
The first 72 hours is the most crucial period to keep the beer cool. After the first 72 hours most of the yeast growth is done and you can be safe to raise the temp up into the upper 60s/low 70s without fear of generating warm fermentation temp off flavors.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 01:04:31 pm »
As helpful as those brew fermometers are, they can be off by 2-3 degrees in either direction occasionally. Not saying that yours is, but as Steve mentioned above, it is better to be fermenting at a cooler temp (61) than a warmer temp (66) in case they are off by a couple degrees. Always easier to warm up vs. cool down.