Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Why Do You Homebrew?  (Read 10005 times)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Why Do You Homebrew?
« on: July 07, 2016, 04:09:20 pm »
Drew and I have started an Experimental Brewing YouTube channel.  Here's the first upload....

https://www.youtube.com/embed/YHsukb9W6MQ
« Last Edit: July 07, 2016, 04:43:26 pm by dbeechum »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
Re: Why Do You Homebrew?
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 05:05:07 pm »
I clicked it and within 10 seconds my wife said "What, the hell?"

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 05:49:02 pm »
I clicked it and within 10 seconds my wife said "What, the hell?"

Guess we need to put a ukulele warning on it!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 05:55:43 pm »
Song is totally stuck in my head, Denny. I'm still waiting for a screaming uke solo, though.   ;D
Jon H.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 06:03:32 pm »
Song is totally stuck in my head, Denny. I'm still waiting for a screaming uke solo, though.   ;D

I'm working on the head banger version....

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2016, 10:29:07 am »
To answer the topic question "Why Do You Homebrew?".  Because I live in beer lovers BFE.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2016, 07:09:06 am »
Because ... beer

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2016, 09:47:52 am »
Because if I fool around with the hard stuff I end up doing crazy crap like play the ukulele. :)
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 05:57:34 am »
I brew because it's just more fun than relying on buying beer. I enjoy eating at good restaurants, but I still cook. Why not do the same with beer?
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline sprinter3

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2016, 07:15:24 am »
GREAT answer Phil M.  Same here.  I like beer and the ability to create my own and tinker with the flavors etc.  I think I like the PROCESS of brewing as much as I like the end result.  Much like why I do competitive BBQ.  I LOVE the PROCESS of creating delicious briskets and pork butts and ribs and chicken etc.  I can go to a BBQ restaurant and order that stuff any day of the week, WITH a beer.   But I still like to do it by myself at home.  There is something about the creative process that lures me in to both of the hobbies.

Troy

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2016, 07:36:27 am »
I brew because it's just more fun than relying on buying beer. I enjoy eating at good restaurants, but I still cook. Why not do the same with beer?

I agree, Phil. Also, with all the mediocre beer out there I like the satisfaction that I can do better.
Jon H.

Offline Chronospa

• 1st Kit
« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2016, 07:50:22 am »
This!!

I also do BBQ/Smoking (not competitively) and make my own bacon, jerky, and sausage. I get as much enjoyment out of learning how to do things on my own as I do eating/drinking the results. I also love having my young children involved so they can learn more skills and appreciation of the world. Respect the pig, he died for your bacon! It's also a great excuse to get the kids to spend more time with Dad

When people think that's weird I also say it's because I can control what I put in my body and I know it's safe and quality.

GREAT answer Phil M.  Same here.  I like beer and the ability to create my own and tinker with the flavors etc.  I think I like the PROCESS of brewing as much as I like the end result.  Much like why I do competitive BBQ.  I LOVE the PROCESS of creating delicious briskets and pork butts and ribs and chicken etc.  I can go to a BBQ restaurant and order that stuff any day of the week, WITH a beer.   But I still like to do it by myself at home.  There is something about the creative process that lures me in to both of the hobbies.

Troy

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2016, 08:16:50 am »
I homebrew as a creative outlet as well as to satisfy my neverending nerdy need to generate Excel spreadsheets about stuff.  It bridges my loves for cooking, science, and beer in such a perfect manner.  I can get as nerdy as I want, and as creative as I want, and in the end, well, it's BEER, so you know you'll want to drink it.  :)
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2016, 10:24:59 am »
I homebrew as a creative outlet as well as to satisfy my neverending nerdy need to generate Excel spreadsheets about stuff.  It bridges my loves for cooking, science, and beer in such a perfect manner.  I can get as nerdy as I want, and as creative as I want, and in the end, well, it's BEER, so you know you'll want to drink it.  :)

I have plans for going wild with data logging in my home brewery. Feed everything (mash temps/times, boil length/evaporation, fermentation temps/times, etc) into a database, then be able to chart/mine that data. Completely unnecessary, but it would be a blast.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Why Do You Homebrew?
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2016, 10:52:04 am »
Because commercial beer is absurdly expensive. $10-15 six packs and $7-10 bombers! Sours are even worse. I don't mind putting in the work and time in honing my ability to make good beers.

I drink commercial when I am out to eat, but I only buy a six pack or two per month.

It's also why I make my own pizza dough. Pizza restaurants are expensive and I can make 8 pizzas worth of dough for the price of one premade dough. Mine is better too.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 10:55:20 am by Stevie »