Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Why Do You Homebrew?  (Read 10002 times)

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
Re: Why Do You Homebrew?
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2016, 11:20:13 am »
Because commercial beer is absurdly expensive. $10-15 six packs and $7-10 bombers! Sours are even worse. I don't mind putting in the work and time in honing my ability to make good beers.

I drink commercial when I am out to eat, but I only buy a six pack or two per month.

It's also why I make my own pizza dough. Pizza restaurants are expensive and I can make 8 pizzas worth of dough for the price of one premade dough. Mine is better too.

I couldn't agree more. I joke with my wife and tell her I cant afford to drink the stuff i like and would not drink if i had to go back to lite! Care to share your pizza dough recipe? I make mine with pre made crusts from mama tischs. They are good and I save money over the local pizza house but know I could do better.
Jimmykx250

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2016, 11:40:50 am »
I use various modified Reinhardt doughs. I recommend his pizza book, but bear in mind it is more of a text than it is a recipe book. I like his basic four ingredient dough which a modified version is below for 8 thin crust small pizzas.

30oz bread flour (add a bit more if dough is too sticky)
4 tsp of kosher salt
1.5 tsp instant yeast
2.25 cups cool water (add bit more if dough is stiff)

Mix and knead until you can stretch a snippet without tearing.
Divide into 8 balls
rub with light coat of olive oil
put in sandwich bags, leave open
Let rest 30 minutes
Close bags and Fridge for 12-16 hours
Warm for 2 hours
Freeze any not using that day (thaw frozen dough for 8-12 hours before warming)

Offline JJeffers09

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2016, 12:02:07 pm »
I brew because

Tastes better than most s*** on the shelf
It is manlier than Knitting
More fun than Ham Radio
I cut myself while woodworking/widdling
I like to say "I made this drink" while I play pool
Neuroplasticity
aaand because I am to broke to fly.

My Favorite Pizza Dough (Sicilian Style)
hydrate the yeast
10g of Dry Yeast
1/4 c. of 107F water
Pinch of Sugar

combine and rest 2 minutes stir to dissolve

Dough
4 c. bread flour (I like King Arthur Unbleached Flour)
1 1/4 c. 107F water
2 1/2 tsp Coarse Salt
1/4 c. Olive Oil

combine flour, water, salt, and olive oil and hydrated yeast.  Mix until all combined, then knead for 10 mins.  Adding more flour if necessary.  Cover and let it rise until it doubles, away from a window, I put mine on top of my refrigerator.  ~1.25hrs for me.  Pull from the bowl onto floured surface softly push out to relatively even.  Then split into 2 (if you want to make breadsticks that's another story) and either toss or roll into the shape you want.  If you want to press into a pan, grease (not oiled) the pan and pinch into the edge. score the dough (not the crust) and par bake at 375F for 8 mins then add toppings.  If you are throwing onto a pizza stone - preheat the oven to 475F with the pizza stone in the oven.  After it has come to temp for 5 mins. pull the pizza stone from the oven and place your dough on the stone.  I sometimes like to add salt cracked pepper before placing my dough down on the stone, if I wanna get fancy with it. However, top your pizza while the bottom starts to crust while it is on the hot stone and away it goes in the oven, bake for about 8-12mins and check for doneness.  You should be able to lift the edge with a knife, it should be evenly browned, and sturdy enough that if you were to tap it with a fork it should sound like a crisp French loaf.  Cheers! oh and always add herbs AFTER it bakes...  Brew on!
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 12:30:24 pm by JJeffers09 »
"Beer is living proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy" - Benjamin Franklin

AHA Member
Indiana Brewers Union (IBU)

Offline rob_f

• Assistant Brewer
  • Corcoran Brew Works, Maryland
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2016, 12:49:07 pm »
Homebrewing allows me to embrace my geekiness and have beer available all the time.  And it also allowed me to join my homebrew club, which is a great bunch of friends that also have beer available all the time.  About 75% of my social life is homebrew-related, so either I'm a loser or I have a great social life. 8)
Rob Farrell
AHA
CRABS

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2016, 02:10:22 pm »
Homebrewing allows me to embrace my geekiness and have beer available all the time.  And it also allowed me to join my homebrew club, which is a great bunch of friends that also have beer available all the time.  About 75% of my social life is homebrew-related, so either I'm a loser or I have a great social life. 8)

Excellent points!  I'm in the same boat.  Were it not for homebrewing, my social life would be... ???
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline lindak

• Cellarman
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2016, 06:11:05 pm »
Hey pizza makers--  (since this post has gone there)--  try this recipe:  http://www.bakingsteel.com/blog/72-hour-pizza-dough    I make pizza a lot.  I was always  trying to tweak and improve the dough with different flour/water proportions or using different cooking temps, broiler, etc.     The 72 hour pizza dough is amazing--  easy to stretch, great structure, great flavor. 

Oh yeah, and I brew for the same reasons many of you do--  the venn  diagram of beer, cooking and science... And it goes well with the pizza. 

Offline jimmykx250

• Brewer
« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2016, 07:00:31 pm »
Thanks for posting the recipes guys!
Jimmykx250

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2016, 07:27:13 pm »
For me,it is something I can plan, purchase, prepare for, process the wort, control the fermentation, package, condition, consume and share, enter in competitions, and get great satisfaction from.

Add to the above, I have made great friends, done cool things, become a BJCP judge, and waste time on forums. Beercations are also a part of the lifestyle. Heading to Germany again, because the wife and I can, and love it there.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2016, 07:49:00 pm »
For me,it is something I can plan, purchase, prepare for, process the wort, control the fermentation, package, condition, consume and share, enter in competitions, and get great satisfaction from.
OK, now, THAT'S an engineer!  Except the spelling was all good. ;D
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline kbenton00

• 1st Kit
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2016, 08:31:08 pm »
Because I can.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2016, 08:42:23 pm »
OK, now, THAT'S an engineer!  Except the spelling was all good. ;D
For once, the spelling was not crap.

I did forget the step about what to improve for the next batch.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2016, 08:46:54 pm by hopfenundmalz »
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #26 on: July 11, 2016, 09:05:52 pm »
Chicks dig it.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2016, 09:20:25 pm »
I brew for the same reasons I garden, cook, do my own woodworking, carpentry etc. I just like knowing how thing work and doing it myself, and you can make it just the way you like it, uh, huh (kc and the sunshine band)
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2016, 09:20:37 pm »
Chicks dig it.
I must be doing it wrong

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2016, 09:24:33 pm »
I brew for the same reasons I garden, cook, do my own woodworking, carpentry etc. I just like knowing how thing work and doing it myself, and you can make it just the way you like it, uh, huh (kc and the sunshine band)