Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Why Do You Homebrew?  (Read 10003 times)

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Why Do You Homebrew?
« Reply #30 on: July 11, 2016, 10:00:36 pm »
I brew for the same reasons I garden, cook, do my own woodworking, carpentry etc. I just like knowing how thing work and doing it myself, and you can make it just the way you like it, uh, huh (kc and the sunshine band)

You get me, Jim.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2016, 05:29:55 am »
At this point I like the time away from the stress of my regular job and I produce something that is universally liked among my friends.  They initially tolerated my Homebrew, but as I got better at it by brewing and reading more each year, now they prefer it and ask for certain specific beer styles that I have made.  But because I choose what I make, I can expose them to new styles that they probably never would have tried otherwise.  It's the ultimate social hobby.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2016, 07:38:40 am »
I enjoy the process, I find it interesting and I enjoy the outcome.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline chumley

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #33 on: July 13, 2016, 02:04:05 pm »
I have been brewing for 25 years for a couple of reasons, which have been touched upon:

1.  Cost.  An 11 oz. bottle of a Belgian tripel costs around $6-7 at my local shop.  Like, WTF?

2.  Freshness.  Some European styles taste better fresh, like alt and bitter.  And those are hard to find around here.

3.  Tastes better.  I think my IPAs taste better than about 90% of the IPAs I taste.  Mostly, I can avoid hop varieties that I do not like.

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #34 on: July 13, 2016, 03:09:22 pm »
I brew for obvious reasons:

1) I like beer
2) My friends like beer
3) I like the variety brewing allows. And that if I don't like something, I can change it.

I also brew for reasons that a bit more complex:

1) Brewing a batch has a defined start and end.  I know when I'm done and that gives a sense of closure.  My j-o-b in the IT department of a large bank doesn't really offer anything in the way of feeling like you finished something.  Most work we do either goes on forever with new releases and the HW/OS upgrade treadmill or the funding gets cut and everything just stops.  Most projects end long before anyone really says they're done, they just kind of fade into the back.

2) Along the same lines as #1.  I get real feedback from people who use my product.  They like it or they don't.  They don't keep coming back just because I'm the only place that, kinda, gives them what they need.

3) It gives "quiet time" where I can focus on doing one thing and no one interrupts me, unless it is really urgent.  Not business "urgent" like "I changed my requirements and never told you so you didn't give me what I wanted, now fix it" urgent. Really urgent, like "Dad, the car's on fire", urgent.  Just me, my radio and the brewing.  All the minor stuff can wait.

I'm not really antisocial but I'm still trying.  I can get there.  8^)

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline Lazy Ant Brewing

• Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: July 14, 2016, 05:00:06 am »
I homebrew for three reasons:

1.  To brew to my taste.

2. To save money.  My favorite is about $2.50/12 oz can, and I can make it for about $.90/ 12 ozs. for the ingredients and propane costs.

3. I'm a "praise wh---." I love it when somebody at the local brew club samples my brew and passes it to his buddy and says,"try this, it's good".
It's easier to read brewing books and get information from the forum than to sacrifice virgins to appease the brewing gods when bad beer happens!

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #36 on: July 14, 2016, 05:16:59 am »
After The End Of The World As We Know It we will have to rebuild technology from scratch, and homebrewing will be my contribution: https://www.amazon.com/Knowledge-Rebuild-Civilization-Aftermath-Cataclysm/dp/0143127047
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #37 on: July 14, 2016, 09:35:43 am »
Homebrewing to save money on beer works out like buying a fishing boat to save money on fish.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #38 on: July 14, 2016, 09:43:34 am »
Homebrewing to save money on beer works out like buying a fishing boat to save money on fish.

...unless you're me!  But saving money (which I *could* claim) is not why I brew anyway.  I suppose I could make it a goal, but I've thought about that in the past and figured, meh.......... that's not why I brew.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
« Reply #39 on: July 14, 2016, 09:46:21 am »
I think we should re-start the argument about sunk costs, opportunity costs, and the intrinsic value of our time.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline Slowbrew

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • The Slowly Losing IT Brewery in Urbandale, IA
« Reply #40 on: July 14, 2016, 09:49:58 am »

Or any hobby that requires tools and materials to get started.  I do wood working to save money on shelving.  (Hides table saw, planer, routers, bits and blades, jointer, clamps, dovetail jig, air compressor, brad nail gun, pin nail gun, work benches, unknown number of hand tools, sanders, finishing equipment, extra room on back of house to contain it all on retail purchased Gorilla shelve of course)   ;D

Paul
Where the heck are we going?  And what's with this hand basket?

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #41 on: July 14, 2016, 09:59:31 am »

One guy I worked with said the most expensive meat he would eat every year was that venison he shot with his bow and arrow.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #42 on: July 14, 2016, 10:12:58 am »

One guy I worked with said the most expensive meat he would eat every year was that venison he shot with his bow and arrow.

Kinda like chickens...we just started keeping 5 chickens.  By the time you factor in the cost of the coop, supplies and care I figure that for that for the next 5 years eggs will cost me about $6 each.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline mainebrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #43 on: July 14, 2016, 10:24:52 am »
None of my hobbies - hunting, fishing, photography, homebrewing, etc. - save me any money, but they do bring me a lot of pleasure.
"It's not that people are ignorant, it's just that they know so much that just isn't true." Ronald Reagan

Offline Stevie

« Reply #44 on: July 14, 2016, 10:29:04 am »
I look at making beer the same as I look at cooking at home. Sure there is upfront cost, but making my own beer (making dinner) is way less expensive than buying commercial (eating out).

The fact that it's a hobby helps to offset the costs of equipment while the reward of the hobby is high quality beer for less.