Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Old Brewer back in the Brewing game  (Read 2631 times)

Offline bbesser

• Cellarman
  • Engineer to brewer, then back to engineer..for now
Re: Old Brewer back in the Brewing game
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2016, 08:22:29 am »
I use bleach for everything, including bottle washing.  I rinse 3X with water, and have not noticed any bleach flavors.

For cleaning my glass carboys - After fermentation, I rinse 2-3 times with about a gallon of water, swirl and dump.  I then add 2-3 cups of bleach, fill with water, rubber band Saran wrap to seal it, and walk away.  2-3 days later, no crud.  I do not use a carboy brush, never have, and have good clean carboys ready for my next use with this practice.
I store my carboys filled with this bleach mixture.

I use bleach for my carboys as well...but not anywhere near the ratio you describe.  2-3 cups of bleach is definitely massive overkill.  In 5 gallons, a few ounces of bleach is really all you need to get the job done(and I've been doing it that way for more than 35 years, with no infection issues whatsoever).

Just for clarity, are you guys saying you use bleach for your cleaner, or for both your cleaner and sanitizer?  If also using bleach for your sanitizer, how do you address your rinse water not being sanitized?
"He who breaks a thing to find out what it is, has lost the path of wisdom." - Gandalf

Offline MJK

• Cellarman
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2016, 05:29:05 pm »
Hey Sprinter.
Yep I've heard that one before about re-contaminating with tap water.
We have no worries about giving a nice rinse. Never had a problem.
Hell I drink the stuff all the time.
Anyway, I DO wipe down the faucet with starsan. OCD!

Offline MJK

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2016, 05:34:06 pm »
Hey Besser,
I use dawn to clean the crap out. Bleach to sanitize carboys. Starsan for bottles.
I don't worry about rinsing with tap water.
Its HOT. Its also over-chlorinated Lake Michigan water.