Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Aerarting still hot wort  (Read 3034 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Aerarting still hot wort
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2016, 06:45:54 pm »
I thought he was saying to get other things under control first, later in the process. Cold side aeration will stale a beer regardless I'd it was brewed with care on the hot Side or not. You have to take care as you go along, and do everything low O2.

Yeah, I've always been more careful on the cold side than the hot side, Jeff. But it's past time to put more caution into the hot side as well. I fell into the trap of 'HSA is overstated' for a long time, but I'm ready to take care of the whole process. Not sure how far into the GBF process I'll go , but I'm gonna start using Brewtan B on every batch and probably work some of the other lodo principles in as well.
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2016, 07:21:02 pm »
I thought he was saying to get other things under control first, later in the process. Cold side aeration will stale a beer regardless I'd it was brewed with care on the hot Side or not. You have to take care as you go along, and do everything low O2.

Yeah, I've always been more careful on the cold side than the hot side, Jeff. But it's past time to put more caution into the hot side as well. I fell into the trap of 'HSA is overstated' for a long time, but I'm ready to take care of the whole process. Not sure how far into the GBF process I'll go , but I'm gonna start using Brewtan B on every batch and probably work some of the other lodo principles in as well.

Yeah, I got to be complacent. I know some guys who brew very good beer and splash and aerate like crazy. I can't say how long the beer is stable.

I try not to splash the mash and wort. We put 1 Campden tablet into the mash, but that is too little to late. I don't do the boiled and chilled thing. No DO meter here.

I do have a couple ideas to try, but I might need to get a DO meter for those techniques.

Soon we will be back in Germany, and touring a few breweries. I will ask what they do, some smaller ones won't do anything.

Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2016, 07:40:05 pm »

Yeah, I got to be complacent. I know some guys who brew very good beer and splash and aerate like crazy. I can't say how long the beer is stable.

I try not to splash the mash and wort. We put 1 Campden tablet into the mash, but that is too little to late. I don't do the boiled and chilled thing. No DO meter here.

I do have a couple ideas to try, but I might need to get a DO meter for those techniques.

Soon we will be back in Germany, and touring a few breweries. I will ask what they do, some smaller ones won't do anything.

I look forward to hearing what they say.
Jon H.

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2016, 08:41:21 pm »

I look forward to hearing what they say.
I still have some to set up. Guides may not have that level of detailed knowledge. Will see what I find.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild

Offline braufessor

• Brewer
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2016, 08:04:53 am »
I listened to one of this year's NHC presentations the other day while brewing- Identifying and Avoiding Oxidation by Brian Bergquist: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/presentations/audio/2016/HomebrewCon16%20-%20Identifying%20and%20Avoiding%20Oxidation.mp3

I had always thought I was quite careful and paid attention to detail wherever I could in my process in regard to oxidation and aerating wort in the wrong ways at the wrong times.  However, I have to say, I was thoroughly depressed listening to this presentation.  I couldn't help but feel  like it was just an utterly fruitless battle at a home-brew (or even small brewery) level to avoid oxidation and its ill effects on beer.  In particular, when he started talking about oxidative effects even during mash in..... and how larger commercial breweries are even going to nitrogen flushed mash tuns, etc.    It just kind of left me feeling like it was a war that can't be won.

Obviously, there are a lot of home brewers making great beer on a regular basis.  I know I have made some great beer (along with my fair share of mediocre and even bad beer).  So...... did others attend this session at NHC, or listen to it from the website?  Curious as to what others thought?  How far do you go in avoiding oxygen (in the mash, etc)? 

Is this level of detail something we should be fretting over, or is this an example of something that can be measured scientifically, but does not really seem to show up in a measurable way to actual people drinking beer (kind of like a number of Brulosophy experiments often indicate..... i.e. - sure there is a difference, but most can't tell there is a difference, and even if they can, they can't confirm what it is, or there is no actual preference one way or another for the drinker).

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2016, 08:58:56 am »
I listened to one of this year's NHC presentations the other day while brewing- Identifying and Avoiding Oxidation by Brian Bergquist: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/attachments/presentations/audio/2016/HomebrewCon16%20-%20Identifying%20and%20Avoiding%20Oxidation.mp3

I had always thought I was quite careful and paid attention to detail wherever I could in my process in regard to oxidation and aerating wort in the wrong ways at the wrong times.  However, I have to say, I was thoroughly depressed listening to this presentation.  I couldn't help but feel  like it was just an utterly fruitless battle at a home-brew (or even small brewery) level to avoid oxidation and its ill effects on beer.  In particular, when he started talking about oxidative effects even during mash in..... and how larger commercial breweries are even going to nitrogen flushed mash tuns, etc.    It just kind of left me feeling like it was a war that can't be won.

Obviously, there are a lot of home brewers making great beer on a regular basis.  I know I have made some great beer (along with my fair share of mediocre and even bad beer).  So...... did others attend this session at NHC, or listen to it from the website?  Curious as to what others thought?  How far do you go in avoiding oxygen (in the mash, etc)? 

Is this level of detail something we should be fretting over, or is this an example of something that can be measured scientifically, but does not really seem to show up in a measurable way to actual people drinking beer (kind of like a number of Brulosophy experiments often indicate..... i.e. - sure there is a difference, but most can't tell there is a difference, and even if they can, they can't confirm what it is, or there is no actual preference one way or another for the drinker).
I introduced Brian, as we chatted before hand I told him that Sierra Nevada wet mills with DO water under N2. Gordon Strong reminded me that he wrote that up in his Zymurgy article about what we learned at Beer Camp. It may be one reason they have beers with a long shelf life.

His talk was very good, one of the top ones that I did see. He covered reducing oxidation throughout the process. It was well researched and presented.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild