Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 120F Whirlpool hop addition only  (Read 5241 times)

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
120F Whirlpool hop addition only
« on: July 09, 2016, 10:50:04 pm »
I ended up finding myself with enough time for a quick extract brew tonight, so I brewed something I've been wanting to experiment with for a while. I brewed my usual extract IPA recipe, but with the only hop addition being a huge whirlpool addition (8oz in 2.25 gallons) at 120F for one hour.

Theoretically, there should be virtually no isomerization of alpha-acids at that temp. It will be interesting to see how much perceived bitterness there will be. I do plan on sending a sample out for analysis to see what the measured IBU level is as well. Stay tuned.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline 69franx

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: 120F Whirlpool hop addition only
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 12:18:56 am »
Tuned in
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 05:29:43 am »
I will be looking for the results.
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline klickitat jim

• I must live here
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 06:48:10 am »
I predict it will be fun and interesting. My attempts at 120 with longer times produced something in between what you get at 170 vs dry hopping.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 06:57:37 am »
I predict it will be fun and interesting. My attempts at 120 with longer times produced something in between what you get at 170 vs dry hopping.
Same here, flavor wise. I am curious to see what it gives from a bitterness perspective. I wouldn't be surprised if it is a significant amount despite the relatively cool temp. The recent findings about humulinones put some ideas in my head and this is one of the tests I wanted to run.
Eric B.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 07:53:42 am »
Looking forward to the results. Flavor and aroma should be stellar. I thought of the posted study about humulinones, too. It'll be good regardless.
Jon H.

Offline rodwha

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 07:19:18 pm »
Interested as well

Offline rob_f

• Assistant Brewer
  • Corcoran Brew Works, Maryland
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 12:53:08 pm »
On a friend's advice, I whirlpool-hopped my last brew at 150.  My standard has always been 170, so I'll be interested to taste it.  Your 120 has my interest.
Rob Farrell
AHA
CRABS

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2016, 12:37:14 pm »
I'm interested too.  These are strange times we're in.  Lot's of common brewing tech being challenged.  Last IPA I did I split the dry hops.  Half was Cent/Cascade and other was Chinook/Nelson.  Same amounts, I think it was 50/50 2oz per.  Cent/Casdade rocked of course.  Chinook/Nelson had this incredible fresh melon smell but was nearly undrinkable bitter.  I was shocked.  Dry hop added bitterness?! 

Largest improvement in my hopstands/whirlpool was frequent stirring.  Largest improvement my IPA's in general was cold crashing for a weekish/totally bright and racking off to secondary :o prior to the dry hop.  The yeast is definitely is sucking the life out of the hops at least in my process.     
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2016, 12:54:14 pm »

Largest improvement in my hopstands/whirlpool was frequent stirring.  Largest improvement my IPA's in general was cold crashing for a weekish/totally bright and racking off to secondary :o prior to the dry hop.  The yeast is definitely is sucking the life out of the hops at least in my process.     

Exactly what I'm doing now.
Jon H.

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2016, 02:01:06 pm »
https://www.experimentalbrew.com/experiments/writeups/writeup-hop-whirlpool-does-steeping-lower-temperature-improve-final-hop
I started playing around with the 120F whirlpool around the same time as Jim had proposed this experiment, and I've come to a similar conclusion as the IGORs - that the lower steep temp is definitely different, but I'm undecided if it is necessarily better. That said, I've been doing all my whirlpools at 120F in recent months, so maybe I've already subconsciously decided which I like better...
Eric B.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2016, 11:18:09 am »

Exactly what I'm doing now.

How long before your IPA's fade?  Mine are about 2 maybe 3 weeks tops.  I plan to try some ascorbic acid and/or maybe some of the LODO type stuff and see if that helps.   
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2016, 04:08:02 pm »
How long before your IPA's fade?  Mine are about 2 maybe 3 weeks tops.  I plan to try some ascorbic acid and/or maybe some of the LODO type stuff and see if that helps.   

I've been using ascorbic acid at kegging on hoppy beers (though I may start doing it on all beers), and it seems to definitely extend the aroma life. As long as (as we mentioned) you dry hop clear beer and don't let the yeast drag half of the hop oils down, of course. Just anecdotal, but I feel like I get an extra couple weeks of hop aroma using ascorbic. Then when the aroma dwindles (being a keg hopper anyway) I add more hops to the keg.

Edit -  Looking forward to a Brewtan B IPA/APA kegged with ascorbic.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2016, 04:20:01 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline neddles

• Brewer
« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2016, 09:44:13 pm »

I've been using ascorbic acid at kegging on hoppy beers (though I may start doing it on all beers), and it seems to definitely extend the aroma life. As long as (as we mentioned) you dry hop clear beer and don't let the yeast drag half of the hop oils down, of course. Just anecdotal, but I feel like I get an extra couple weeks of hop aroma using ascorbic. Then when the aroma dwindles (being a keg hopper anyway) I add more hops to the keg.

Edit -  Looking forward to a Brewtan B IPA/APA kegged with ascorbic.
Are you doing/have you tried closed transfers to the keg?