Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Brewing with a pump  (Read 4643 times)

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
Brewing with a pump
« on: July 10, 2016, 08:46:35 am »
I thought it would make things easier, but it actually made everything more complicated.

I do not like it.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline duboman

• Senior Brewmaster
Re: Brewing with a pump
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2016, 09:18:44 am »
I love it, no more heavy dangerous lifting for me and
my creaky old back. It idiot take a bit to tweak my process but has made my brew day much easier

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Peace....Love......Beer......

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the craft of beer since 2010

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2016, 09:38:55 am »
It gets easier with time. What don't you like?

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2016, 10:18:26 am »
It gets easier with time. What don't you like?

THIS^^^^  What are trying to do that makes it more difficult?  I use mine only for recirculated chilling and pumping to the fermenter. 
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2016, 11:05:57 am »
I used it for power vorlaufing, pumping from the mash tun to the boil kettle, and recirculating during chilling.

I didn't like having all the hoses on the ground.  Unhooking the hoses without spilling wort on the floor I found to be difficult.  I also didn't like the deadweight loss of wort due to what remained in the hoses when the mash tun was fully drained.

It also seemed like it was kind of rough on the wort.  The whole process seems so much gentler when I do everything by hand.

I don't know - using the pump just felt kind of wrong.

It also didn't reduce my chilling time at all.  I guess my manual stirring was performing the same function.  Now I've got my eye on one of those hydra chillers.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2016, 11:17:59 am »

It also didn't reduce my chilling time at all.  I guess my manual stirring was performing the same function.  Now I've got my eye on one of those hydra chillers.

The Hydra is great, but I still use my pump with it.  But that's because I don't like to stand there and stir...I can start the pump up and go back later.  Using my 56F well water, I got from boiling to 58F in 8 min. with both a pump and Hydra.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2016, 11:23:08 am »
The Hydra is great, but I still use my pump with it.

Are you using some kind of whirlpool arm with it?  If not, how are you securing the hose to the kettle?

Using my 56F well water, I got from boiling to 58F in 8 min. with both a pump and Hydra.

I'm envious.  Ground water here yesterday was 76 degrees. It's difficult to chill much below the upper 80's using just an immersion chiller.  I let my fermentation fridge bring it the rest of way down to pitching temp.

Offline Stevie

Brewing with a pump
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2016, 11:56:09 am »
Shorten your hoses? I place a bowl beneath the can lock to catch wort when I disconnect. I use that bit for my gravity samples at end of boil. At end of mash you could just pour it into your kettle.

I love my pump and would hate to go back to brewing without it.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2016, 12:46:42 pm »
I love it, no more heavy dangerous lifting for me and
my creaky old back.
THIS^^^^
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2016, 12:48:06 pm »
I use mine only for recirculated chilling and pumping to the fermenter.
And THIS^^^
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2016, 12:51:01 pm »

The Hydra is great, but I still use my pump with it.  But that's because I don't like to stand there and stir...I can start the pump up and go back later.  Using my 56F well water, I got from boiling to 58F in 8 min. with both a pump and Hydra.

WOW!  You are most lucky with well water that cold.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2016, 01:34:35 pm »
The Hydra is great, but I still use my pump with it.

Are you using some kind of whirlpool arm with it?  If not, how are you securing the hose to the kettle?

Using my 56F well water, I got from boiling to 58F in 8 min. with both a pump and Hydra.

I'm envious.  Ground water here yesterday was 76 degrees. It's difficult to chill much below the upper 80's using just an immersion chiller.  I let my fermentation fridge bring it the rest of way down to pitching temp.

Whirlpool arm?  That's kinda fancy for me, don'tcha think?  :)  I just use a quick clamp to clamp the hose to the top of my kettle and put the end of the hose by the chiller.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2016, 01:35:30 pm »

That's summer.  In the winter it's more like 45F.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Stevie

Brewing with a pump
« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2016, 01:59:33 pm »
My ground water was 80° today. Knocked 12 gallons down to 90° in fifteen minutes using 9 gallons of tap, 9 gallons cooled in the ferm fridge to 40, and 10 lbs of ice. That's recirc on both the chiller and the kettle. Without my pumps, brewing would be near impossible on my balcony.

Another 15 and I am at 75°
« Last Edit: July 10, 2016, 02:12:25 pm by Stevie »

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2016, 02:30:47 pm »

No kidding. My ground water is low to mid 70s now. Loving that submersible pump for the ice water loop!
Jon H.