Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Using a Keggle  (Read 5106 times)

Offline MrDonde

• Cellarman
  • Aspiring Brewmaster
    • Snow Lion Brewing
Re: Using a Keggle
« Reply #15 on: July 08, 2016, 02:06:28 pm »
Two options to consider:
  • Replace the existing false bottom with a bazooka screen or smaller domed version FB
  • Remove the false bottom and make that keggle a HLT; then build out a cooler mash tun

I am going to keep the current false bottom and just keep track of the water. But thanks for the tips!
-Donde

Offline salcedo

• 1st Kit
« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2016, 09:22:36 am »
One more thing I would add. The 2-3 gal left in the mash keggle includes some of the converted sugars.  You should compensate for that by bumping up your grain bill. Maybe by as much as 25% for a 5 gal batch

Sent from my K01A using Tapatalk

Offline wv_brewer

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2016, 05:37:56 am »
One more thing I would add. The 2-3 gal left in the mash keggle includes some of the converted sugars.  You should compensate for that by bumping up your grain bill. Maybe by as much as 25% for a 5 gal batch

Looking back at his post a little more closely, it doesn't appear that he is unable to drain the last 2 or 3 gallons of fluid but rather that he needs to add 2 or 3 gallons before it gets above the false bottom.  So, assuming he adds the extra strike water, I'm not sure what effect it would have on his efficiency.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2016, 06:30:37 am »
I brew on a system that is similar.  After adding the water under the false bottom, I then calculate the amount of water needed for mashing above it.  The total amount of water is used to calculate the strike temperature, so if you figure 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain, but have an additional 4 quarts under the false bottom this increases the percentage of your calculation for accurate mash in temperature.
Using a fly (continuous) sparge and assuming the dip tube (pick-up) is at the deepest part of the keggle, the liquor drawn off to the kettle should be fairly efficient.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline salcedo

• 1st Kit
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2016, 08:50:37 am »

Looking back at his post a little more closely, it doesn't appear that he is unable to drain the last 2 or 3 gallons of fluid but rather that he needs to add 2 or 3 gallons before it gets above the false bottom.  So, assuming he adds the extra strike water, I'm not sure what effect it would have on his efficiency.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I was under the impression that 2-3 gallons remained in the mash tun. If that's not the case then you are correct, efficiency would not be affected and there's no need to modify the recipe.

Offline scrap iron

• Assistant Brewer
  • K.C.
« Reply #20 on: July 17, 2016, 08:54:25 am »
I am a Keggle brewer who also uses a false bottom. When I calculate water needed, I usually mash at 1.7 to 1.8 quarts per pound grain, I disregard the water under the false bottom. The water under the FB in my system amounts to only 3 quarts. MY FB sets in line with the seam on the bottom of the Keg. With a good seal on the pick-up tube I can drain all but about 1/2 quart from the mash. I would check the seal on the pick-up tube. The Siphon effect should drain all the way down to the pick-up. If the FB has a ring or stand you could try to modify it to set lower.
Or maybe find a FB that doesn't set so high off the bottom.
Mike F.                                                                              “I am a firm believer in the people. If given the truth, they can be depended upon to meet any national crisis. The great point is to bring them the real facts, and beer.”

Abraham Lincoln