Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: First Hard Apple Cider - Any Tips?  (Read 12300 times)

Offline Bomber 22

• Cellarman
Re: First Hard Apple Cider - Any Tips?
« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2016, 01:25:47 pm »
I'm about 5-6 days into fermentation.  The temp has been hovering around 62-68 (unfortunately, there have been a couple of times that I've swapped out ice bottles late and the temp climbed that high).  Should I be expecting any type of head as a result from fermentation?  I have seen none thus far.  During the first couple of days, I'd see a few micro bubbles pop up here and there when spot checking but there has been no head or foam or anything whatsoever.  I know beer is a different ball game but there was definitely a head within the first couple of days during fermentation at the 62 degree F temp.

(thanks theDarkSide for the resource links.  Looks like that book has excellent reviews.)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2016, 02:01:24 pm »
I'm about 5-6 days into fermentation.  The temp has been hovering around 62-68 (unfortunately, there have been a couple of times that I've swapped out ice bottles late and the temp climbed that high).  Should I be expecting any type of head as a result from fermentation?  I have seen none thus far.  During the first couple of days, I'd see a few micro bubbles pop up here and there when spot checking but there has been no head or foam or anything whatsoever.  I know beer is a different ball game but there was definitely a head within the first couple of days during fermentation at the 62 degree F temp.

Depending on the strain you use, a little to almost no foamy krausen like you'd expect from beer. Remember that it's generally a slower fermentation as well. You're good. Good luck!
Jon H.

Offline Bomber 22

• Cellarman
« Reply #17 on: July 02, 2016, 05:29:38 pm »
It took me a little longer to attend to the cider.  It fermented (in the 60's) for a little over 5 weeks before I checked it.  It looked to be right at 1.000 (though I guess with the hydro temp adjustment it would be 1.001).  Bubbles floated up in the hydro cup.

Yesterday, I transferred the cider into a homemade bottling bucket and added 1 crushed campden tablet and 1 tsp of sulfite (per the package suggested amount per gallon). 

Can I get away with bottling after 48 hours?
Does the temp need to be cool (60's) while the campden and sulfite are in the mix (I do have it cool but just curious)?
Since this will be a still cider, is there a need to leave an air gap in each bottle?
Since I'm adding tablets and not cold crashing, is it okay to store the bottles at room temperature?

Thanks.

BTW, I did bottle one in a 12 ounce bottle before adding the tablets/powder just to get an idea of what it would taste like dry and sparkling.  I could not find a cider priming calculator (just beer).  I added 1/4 tsp of table sugar per the 12 ounce (just based off of beer in the calculator and based off of one post).  I have it in the fridge for fear of explosion but I guess it would take forever (if at all) to carbonate at that temp.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #18 on: July 02, 2016, 07:40:01 pm »
I'd give it a week to make sure it's not still fermenting.  Check gravity again in a week, then bottle.

Temperature is not critical.

Air gap is not critical.

1/2 tsp per 12 oz would be a better priming amount, and kept at room temp for 3-4 weeks.  You might never get carb with just 1/4 tsp, or just a slight spritzy taste without noticeable bubbles.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Bomber 22

• Cellarman
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2016, 09:38:06 pm »
I'd give it a week to make sure it's not still fermenting.  Check gravity again in a week, then bottle.

Temperature is not critical.

Air gap is not critical.

1/2 tsp per 12 oz would be a better priming amount, and kept at room temp for 3-4 weeks.  You might never get carb with just 1/4 tsp, or just a slight spritzy taste without noticeable bubbles.

Thank you again for the help, dmtaylor.  Do you think it would be okay to rebottle that primed bottle of beer and add another 1/4 tsp of table sugar?  It was bottled about 36 hours ago.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #20 on: July 03, 2016, 07:19:30 am »
Thank you again for the help, dmtaylor.  Do you think it would be okay to rebottle that primed bottle of beer and add another 1/4 tsp of table sugar?  It was bottled about 36 hours ago.

Yes, that should work splendidly.  Still might take 3-4 weeks to carb fully.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #21 on: July 03, 2016, 10:06:04 am »
I started a batch of cider back on Thursday using S-189. I pitched the yeast (unrehydrated) when the must was 56f and put the carboy into my "cellar" which was at 52f. I saw slight signs of fermentation 12 hours after pitching the yeast and lowered the cellar temperature down to 50f. It's burping through the airlock today every 3 1/2 seconds and the strip thermometer on the carboy reads 52f.
It's a four gallon batch which I plan to split into two. I'm going to add sour cherries into one half and coconut into the other.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Bomber 22

• Cellarman
« Reply #22 on: July 03, 2016, 04:04:11 pm »
I started a batch of cider back on Thursday using S-189. I pitched the yeast (unrehydrated) when the must was 56f and put the carboy into my "cellar" which was at 52f. I saw slight signs of fermentation 12 hours after pitching the yeast and lowered the cellar temperature down to 50f. It's burping through the airlock today every 3 1/2 seconds and the strip thermometer on the carboy reads 52f.
It's a four gallon batch which I plan to split into two. I'm going to add sour cherries into one half and coconut into the other.

Both sound delicious, Steve.  I really wanted to add fruit to either my first beer or this first cider but there were so many varying opinions and/or techniques on how to do it that I just decided to keep it simple.  I'm going the noob and cheapskate route and will be adding cherry flavoring to half this cider.  I added some to a few bottles of my first beer but haven't tasted it yet.

Had never thought about coconut as being an option.  Sounds incredible.  Man, I can only dream of temps in the 50's inside.  Near 100 outside in Texas.

Thanks, dmt, will do.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2016, 03:40:14 pm »
Both sound delicious, Steve.  I really wanted to add fruit to either my first beer or this first cider but there were so many varying opinions and/or techniques on how to do it that I just decided to keep it simple.  I'm going the noob and cheapskate route and will be adding cherry flavoring to half this cider.  I added some to a few bottles of my first beer but haven't tasted it yet.
Had never thought about coconut as being an option.  Sounds incredible.  Man, I can only dream of temps in the 50's inside.  Near 100 outside in Texas.
Thanks, dmt, will do.

I'm also planning a coconut American wheat beer a bit later in the year.
The "cellar" at 52 is actually an upright freezer with a Johnson temp control.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women