Author Topic: Jever Clone  (Read 2536 times)

Offline andremarron

• 1st Kit
    • View Profile
Jever Clone
« on: July 11, 2016, 12:33:12 PM »
Does anyone have a Jever clone, tried and tested?
I´ve searched the whole forum and got some clues from some of the users, but not the whole recipe.
I know the grain bill and hops are quite simple, but not the process itself.

Thank you in advance.

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life.
  • In the night!
    • View Profile
Re: Jever Clone
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 12:48:52 PM »
I've never even gotten it fresh here in the US. And in green bottles...no bueno.

Process-wise, much debate over that... brew with degassed water, keeping dissolved O2 low throughout process, step mash 30 minutes at 145F, raise to 162F for 30-60 minutes. Boil 60 minutes, chill to 45F, ferment at 48F for a week or so. Raise to 60F for a day or two, then keg or drop it down slowly to the 30's and lager.

You'll have many different opinions on this.
die Schönheit der bier...

Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 03:34:42 PM »
I've never even gotten it fresh here in the US. And in green bottles...no bueno.

Process-wise, much debate over that... brew with degassed water, keeping dissolved O2 low throughout process, step mash 30 minutes at 145F, raise to 162F for 30-60 minutes. Boil 60 minutes, chill to 45F, ferment at 48F for a week or so. Raise to 60F for a day or two, then keg or drop it down slowly to the 30's and lager.

Is that what Jever does?
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline beersk

• In the night!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 04:00:03 PM »

Is that what Jever does?
Does anyone know what Jever does? This is what I would do.  And I'll bet Jever does at least 50% of that.

Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2016, 04:47:13 PM »
Does anyone know what Jever does? This is what I would do.  And I'll bet Jever does at least 50% of that.

Well, someone obviously does!  ;)  Your process would undoubtedly work, but there's no reason to think that Jever does any of that.  They very well might, but it's a WAG, right?

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2016, 04:50:08 PM »
For a start, use the boiled Jever water profile from Brunwater.  This may also be of help....https://byo.com/mead/item/1183-northern-german-pils-style-profile

www.dennybrew.com

Offline BrodyR

• Brewmaster
  • Philadelphia, PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2016, 06:49:56 PM »
Does anyone have a Jever clone, tried and tested?
I´ve searched the whole forum and got some clues from some of the users, but not the whole recipe.
I know the grain bill and hops are quite simple, but not the process itself.

Thank you in advance.

If you're looking to get into the gritty process details with German Lager Brewing processes check out http://forum.germanbrewing.net/

Offline beersk

• In the night!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2016, 08:42:48 PM »
For a start, use the boiled Jever water profile from Brunwater.  This may also be of help....https://byo.com/mead/item/1183-northern-german-pils-style-profile
Interesting that the picture they have in that article looks like a Vienna lager rather than a pilsner.

And it's probably not a wild a$$ guess, but more of an educated guess.

Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2016, 09:08:31 PM »
Interesting that the picture they have in that article looks like a Vienna lager rather than a pilsner.

And it's probably not a wild a$$ guess, but more of an educated guess.

Better description.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline reverseapachemaster

• View Profile
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2016, 01:32:34 PM »
I hear for German brewing you basically want to pump as much oxygen into the wort as possible at every stage. I dunno, maybe for yeast health or something.  8)
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline narvin

• Brewmaster General
  • Baltimore
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2016, 02:48:14 PM »
Focus on fresh ingredients, German malt, and mash pH first. 
Please do not reply if your[sic] an evil alien!
Thanks

Offline Joe Sr.

• Chicago - NORTH SIDE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2016, 02:11:24 AM »

Is that what Jever does?

Not trying to be argumentative or derail the thread, but I've stopped following those threads.  Are people making better beer following this process?  Is there any consensus?  Or is it still a hotly debated theory?  Just curious.  I have some lagers planned for my line up but I don't really plan to follow this method anyway.
It's all in the reflexes. - Jack Burton

Offline beersk

• In the night!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2016, 12:45:39 PM »

Is that what Jever does?

Not trying to be argumentative or derail the thread, but I've stopped following those threads.  Are people making better beer following this process?  Is there any consensus?  Or is it still a hotly debated theory?  Just curious.  I have some lagers planned for my line up but I don't really plan to follow this method anyway.
They claim they're better, yes; fresher malt character. I believe it. But I'm trying it out for myself to see if there's a difference. I still have yet to get a spunding valve though, so that might be the kicker for me right now. Can't hurt to try it, is all I'm saying. There's been a lot of push back on it that I don't understand. Try it or don't. That simple. Jury's still out for me.

But I think the main point is: if you like the beer you're making now, your way, stick to it. But, like me, I'm not very happy with my lighter styles after fresh ingredients, pH control with Bru'n water, fermentation temp control; I'm looking for an improvement in my process...this might just be it.
I've got a 2.5 gallon batch of helles on tap now that was fermented in a keg, close transferred to a purged 2.5 gallon keg and it just tastes stale to me...shouldn't have been any O2 pickup in the transfer... makes me wonder, ya know?

Alright, back to the thread at hand! Sorry OP.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2016, 12:50:27 PM by beersk »

Jesse

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2016, 03:58:06 PM »

And have they done any real testing or is it just "oh, my beer is so much better now".

www.dennybrew.com

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2016, 04:36:28 PM »
I see it as still being a wash. Some European brewers perform LODO, others do not but still have that fresh grain field at night "it" aroma. (I'm looking at you, Pilsner Urquell...)

Add to that the fact that I don't like using more additives in my beers than I have to, and I have absolutely  no interest in any of the methods currently being described.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.