Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Cider Primary fermentation time  (Read 5264 times)

Offline spicyturnip

• 1st Kit
Cider Primary fermentation time
« on: March 15, 2016, 04:32:09 pm »
Hey all. Making a cider for the first time. From what i've read it seems im supposed to leave the cider in the primary fermentor for a month and then transfer it to the secondary fermentor without the yeast cake. My primary fermentor is a big plastic bucket and the secondary fermentor is a 5 gallon carboy. So heres the question: if I dont like leaving it in the plastic bucket all that time, whats the soonest i could take it out of there? Do i need the yeast that sitts at the bottom or is the organism inside the juice enough.

Sent from my LG-D851 using Tapatalk

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Cider Primary fermentation time
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2016, 04:38:35 pm »
Hey all. Making a cider for the first time. From what i've read it seems im supposed to leave the cider in the primary fermentor for a month and then transfer it to the secondary fermentor without the yeast cake. My primary fermentor is a big plastic bucket and the secondary fermentor is a 5 gallon carboy. So heres the question: if I dont like leaving it in the plastic bucket all that time, whats the soonest i could take it out of there? Do i need the yeast that sitts at the bottom or is the organism inside the juice enough.

I've made a lot of cider, ferment it in buckets and leave it in there for a month before racking to a carboy. There are multiple ways to make cider but mine is to let it ferment completely before racking. Cider ferments slower than beer and takes more patience. No worries about the bucket.

Edit - I verify I'm at final gravity before racking. Identical hydrometer readings over 3 successive days is verification. Just be sure to push the bucket lid down thoroughly all the way around the bucket to get a good seal and you'll be fine.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 04:41:03 pm by HoosierBrew »
Jon H.

Offline spicyturnip

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 04:40:00 pm »

I've made a lot of cider, ferment it in buckets and leave it in there for a month before racking to a carboy. There are multiple ways to make cider but mine is to let it ferment completely before racking. Cider ferments slower than beer and takes more patience. No worries about the bucket.
So do i wait one month or until it stops bubbling? Wont leave any bad plasticky taste?

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 04:43:06 pm »
1/  Zero plastic taste

2/ The airlock only shows the heaviest part of fermentation, not all of fermentation. As I said, cider ferments slowly and will keep doing so after airlock activity stops. Be patient dude.
Jon H.

Offline spicyturnip

• 1st Kit
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2016, 04:45:42 pm »
Lol. Will do. Thanks.

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2016, 06:28:21 pm »
I recommend transferring it after the first 7-10 days to slow down the fermentation.  I usually transfer mine several times, every 7-10 days for a whole month.  This helps the cider from going too dry.  Otherwise it turns out more like champagne.  I also ferment cool, around 55-60 F, for the same reason.  I also usually add gelatin when specific gravity hits 1.010-1.015 to again prevent dryness, then refrigerate after that to finish.  Patience is key with ciders.  Give it a good 6 weeks to finish, or longer if you can stand it.  Patience will be rewarded.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2016, 06:35:19 pm »

I recommend transferring it after the first 7-10 days to slow down the fermentation.  I usually transfer mine several times, every 7-10 days for a whole month.  This helps the cider from going too dry.  Otherwise it turns out more like champagne.  I also ferment cool, around 55-60 F, for the same reason.  I also usually add gelatin when specific gravity hits 1.010-1.015 to again prevent dryness, then refrigerate after that to finish.  Patience is key with ciders.  Give it a good 6 weeks to finish, or longer if you can stand it.  Patience will be rewarded.
I imagine bottle conditioning is a bad plan with your method.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2016, 08:45:32 pm »
Not really.  Drink it flat, like a real man.   ;D
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2016, 10:35:32 pm »
Meh. I like some fizz

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline spicyturnip

• 1st Kit
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2016, 04:33:31 pm »
Not really.  Drink it flat, like a real man.   ;D
Men are not defined by their co2 level preferences :D

Sent from my LG-D959 using Tapatalk