Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Quest for a great blonde ale  (Read 3084 times)

Offline matt.ballard.587

• Cellarman
  • Tapatalk User
Quest for a great blonde ale
« on: August 14, 2016, 05:23:13 pm »
Last year I brewed a blonde ale and I felt it was missing something.  So this year I'm thinking that I'm going to do some experimentation to find a great blonde ale to my palette. 
My basic recipe that I'm working on is
1 gallon
1.75 lbs 2 row
.2 lbs crystal 20
And about 18 ibus of centennial hops at 45 min.

I plan on substituting vienna malt for 1 batch
And munich for another

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Offline majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Re: Quest for a great blonde ale
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2016, 05:25:50 pm »
Just brew a great kolsch instead.

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2016, 05:45:07 pm »
Brew it with a lager yeast.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2016, 06:56:35 pm »
Seriously though, what do you want your Blonde to taste like? There is such a large variety in this style.  Breweries market all kinds of light colored beers as "blondes."

From your recipe, I take it you don't want hop flavor or aroma. Why a 45 minute addition and why use a  flavor/aroma hop since at 45 min you want get much if any flavor or aroma?

You have a lot of caramel malt at 10%. Even with Munich, 10% would be a lot. My favorite "blondes" are light, crisp, and clean.  That would mean 5% or less caramel. I would also go with C-10 or no caramel at all. Only add caramel if you like a hint of caramel flavor, which can be nice.

I like a bit of hop flavor and aroma. I would save a bit of the centennial hops for a 0 minute addition. For 1 gallon I would say 0.1-0.2 oz. I don't like to turn a blonde into a pale ale.

I like Patagonia Extra Pale malt. It is very light, tasty, and has a slightly sweet taste even with low FG.

Mash at 148-150 to finish dry and ferment with a clean yeast like 1056/001/US-05.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2016, 10:09:11 pm »
Try FWH. I like 85/10/5 - 2row/Munich/Dextine. Mash around 153-154 and ferment low at 62 with Chico

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2016, 12:53:00 pm »
Try this link: https://www.homebrewersassociation.org/forum/index.php?topic=23074.msg294811#msg294811
I brewed this last year for our RV trip spanning 12 days of driving, thinking it would be a nice end to each day of driving and get us through all 11 states on our trip having 2-4 per night. The 2 cases did not last through the whole trip, details are in the thread. SWMBO and I loved this brew, and it was my first blonde, many thanks again to IMperry. Need to brew it again, I did however sub in Safale 05 rather than his yeast as that was what I had on hand, turned out great
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline charles1968

• Brewmaster
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 12:34:14 am »
I would completely cut the crystal. Agree that Chico/US-05 will work. Also kolsch yeast - makes fantastic beer but closer to lager than ale. My favourite blonde recipe is Seymour Citra Gold on jimsbeerkit. 97% Maris Otter, 3% oats, US-05, Citra hops + some citrus zest. Centennial Blonde on HBT is good but a bit too bland and under hopped.