Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: first saison  (Read 7510 times)

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: first saison
« Reply #45 on: July 22, 2016, 04:44:01 pm »
Pale yellow color is perfect for a summer saison and will pair well with the lemony theme. Also, once you get some carbonation into it, I bet the basil character will pop a bit more. Let us know how it turns. Sounds like it will be awesome late August.

Online Iliff Ave

« Reply #46 on: July 22, 2016, 07:36:31 pm »
Pale yellow color is perfect for a summer saison and will pair well with the lemony theme. Also, once you get some carbonation into it, I bet the basil character will pop a bit more. Let us know how it turns. Sounds like it will be awesome late August.

Thanks man. I am excited for something different from my usual.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Online Iliff Ave

« Reply #47 on: July 23, 2016, 09:14:16 am »
Fermentation recommendations?

It took off very quickly and is currently at 64F. I was thinking about keeping it at 64-65 for the first couple of days, ramping to 68 for a couple more, then letting free rise up to 75 or so.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #48 on: July 23, 2016, 09:20:10 am »

It took off very quickly and is currently at 64F. I was thinking about keeping it at 64-65 for the first couple of days, ramping to 68 for a couple more, then letting free rise up to 75 or so.

It depends on the strain and what you're after. Your plan would work fine, or to get a little more of the yeast character (which I like in saison) you could hold at 67F-ish for a couple days , then just let rise and hold at ~ 75F. It'll be good regardless.
Jon H.

Online Iliff Ave

« Reply #49 on: July 23, 2016, 09:29:59 am »

It depends on the strain and what you're after. Your plan would work fine, or to get a little more of the yeast character (which I like in saison) you could hold at 67F-ish for a couple days , then just let rise and hold at ~ 75F. It'll be good regardless.

Thanks Jon. I think this time around I am going to restrain it just a bit. Saison for beginners if you will. I am just starting to get into Belgians and Saisons can be a little hit and miss for me. I am thinking keeping it a bit more neutral this go around to see how I like it. In my mind, I am thinking about more of 'cleaner' Saison. Blasphemy, I know...

Online Iliff Ave

« Reply #50 on: July 30, 2016, 01:00:58 pm »
From 1.052 to 1.003 in 8 days. Sample is pretty rough tasting right now with a lot of flavors going on. As you would expect, I am getting citrus, pepper, earthiness, and a little bit of funk.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #51 on: July 30, 2016, 01:39:49 pm »
From 1.052 to 1.003 in 8 days. Sample is pretty rough tasting right now with a lot of flavors going on. As you would expect, I am getting citrus, pepper, earthiness, and a little bit of funk.

Nice. Sounds like a saison to me !
Jon H.

Online Iliff Ave

« Reply #52 on: July 30, 2016, 02:04:34 pm »

It seems to be done with the yeast settled out but I roused the yeast back into suspension and will let it sit for a few more days to see if it keeps going. Definitely seems a bit cleaner which I am happy about.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #53 on: July 30, 2016, 02:07:59 pm »

It seems to be done with the yeast settled out but I roused the yeast back into suspension and will let it sit for a few more days to see if it keeps going. Definitely seems a bit cleaner which I am happy about.

Yeah, saison yeasts can take a little longer to hit FG sometimes. It could drop a couple more points. Time will tell.
Jon H.

Online Iliff Ave

« Reply #54 on: August 05, 2016, 07:23:47 pm »
Yeast seems to still be working. Will take a sample here in a bit. Thanks for the advice to let it sit. I brewed a few really good beers that I got ready super quick. Since then I have been unintentionally rushing some batches of late which has led to disappointment.

Online Iliff Ave

« Reply #55 on: August 05, 2016, 08:46:25 pm »
1.001. It's fun to do something completely new and different from what I normally do. I have never brewed a beer that finished below 1.005.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2016, 08:48:28 pm by goschman »

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #56 on: August 06, 2016, 05:54:25 am »
1.001. It's fun to do something completely new and different from what I normally do. I have never brewed a beer that finished below 1.005.

As Jon was saying, sometimes those saison strains take an extra week or so to chew through those final gravity points. Just when you think they are done, they keep eating away at anything left.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #57 on: August 06, 2016, 06:54:55 am »
Yep.  Be careful not to declare victory quite yet.  I think this one is going to finish in the 0.990s which is not unheard of for a saison.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #58 on: August 10, 2016, 07:51:24 am »

As Jon was saying, sometimes those saison strains take an extra week or so to chew through those final gravity points. Just when you think they are done, they keep eating away at anything left.

+1. I use 565 pretty much exclusively for saisons now and I give it an extra week in the fermenter relative to other average gravity ales for exactly this reason.

Online Iliff Ave

« Reply #59 on: August 11, 2016, 01:10:02 pm »
This beer is carbed up and I couldn't be happier with it. The lemon and basil seem a bit lost which is fine. I would rather it be that way than too powerful. It is very pale in color, crisp, refreshing, and drinkable. It drinks more like a 4% abv beer than a 6.7 one. Next time I may add a bit of Munich or aromatic to provide a smidge of malt complexity. The presence of the oats is noticeable now but I expect that to fade a bit as the beer ages. This is pretty much the saison I was hoping to brew. A great first experience with belle saison.

Thanks for all of the help!