Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: The best thing since...  (Read 4139 times)

Offline tommymorris

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: The best thing since...
« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2016, 04:23:49 pm »
Crowlers just came to town here. I like them. My growlers are 64oz which is too much to drink before it spoils. Crowlers are 32oz which is perfect to share with a friend or if I want to tie one on (low tolerance here).

Basically, you pay tap room pint prices for each pint in the crowler. I understand this since it was served by the same bartender in the same bar, but, the prices do limit how often I buy taproom beer to take home.

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: July 17, 2016, 08:48:14 pm »
How about a 25 ounce plastic bottle? We use them now switching to 16 oz cans. time and cost thing. Would you consider a plastic bottle of craft beer that you can close for your outdoor adventure? Share your thoughts good or bad.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #17 on: July 17, 2016, 09:07:18 pm »
Plastic bottles are ok, but they don't crush like cans. They also have the BPA stigma associated with them, warranted or not.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #18 on: July 17, 2016, 09:26:37 pm »
How about a 25 ounce plastic bottle? We use them now switching to 16 oz cans. time and cost thing. Would you consider a plastic bottle of craft beer that you can close for your outdoor adventure? Share your thoughts good or bad.
Reclosing a plastic bottle is nice for around the house, too. I guess it's not necessary, but, it bothers me when I put the open Crowler back in the fridge. Reclosing might make an opened beer last 7-8 hours instead of 2-3 with the Crowler.  I think a half drank plastic bottle would still be flat by morning.

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #19 on: July 17, 2016, 09:59:37 pm »
Plastic bottles are ok, but they don't crush like cans. They also have the BPA stigma associated with them, warranted or not.
No BPA in the bottle it is a pet plastic like most home brewers plastic fementors the cap has BPA just like glass bottles. I know they suffer from people not knowing. The uphill battle

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2016, 04:28:27 am »
Nothing against good plastic but they don't solve any problem that I have.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #21 on: July 18, 2016, 08:05:29 am »
Since the Richmond brewery opened we've been seeing six packs of 16 ounce cans of Arrogant Bastard for $10 a pop. Can't beat that, I've never had this beer fresh before and it's incredible.
The Richmond brewery is open now? When I was out there last fall they were still building it. They must work fast...
Quote from: Stevie
I think cans have a plastic lining in them. Otherwise you'd risk aluminum leaching into the beer, right?

And actually, I lied earlier about only buying cans. I, like Jon, still buy certain Belgian and German beers in bottles. I bought a bottle of Vitus the other day. Some of that stuff I just have to continue buying. Plus I love the awesome Euro style bottles; heavy duty glass and classic shape.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 08:16:48 am by beersk »
Jesse

Offline Stevie

The best thing since...
« Reply #22 on: July 18, 2016, 08:40:41 am »
Sure cans have liners, but people are afraid of plastic bottles. I know a large numbers of people that used to carry plastic water bottles that now carry glass. Not saying it's logical, just pointing out the perception.

As for the 6 pack of AB pints, they are 13 dollars here and we are only 2 hours north of Escondido.

narvin

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2016, 08:56:41 am »
I don't quite get it. Most beer places around here also do 32 oz growlers.  And some places have sealed growler fillers that purge with CO2, whereas the crowler is filled on the bar top letting in oxygen.  And growlers are reusable, meaning they are 100% green.

The only thing I can think of is that the current screw top growlers don't keep oxygen out for as long.  But that's why we need to go back to these:

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2016, 09:24:38 am »
Good points, Chris. Crowlers are a silly waste in my opinion. We have them around here and I have zero interest in them. But most places that fill growlers don't purge with co2 either that I've experienced. I guess they assume you're planning to drink the beer within a day or 2, limiting the amount of oxidation effects.

And the AB 6 packs are $11.99 here I think. I thought I'd seen them for $8.99 briefly, but I could've been imagining that. I wish we'd get 6 packs of Sublimely in can...they should bring that one back. But it fell by the way of the black IPA, sadly.
Jesse

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #25 on: July 18, 2016, 09:41:00 am »
I don't quite get it. Most beer places around here also do 32 oz growlers.  And some places have sealed growler fillers that purge with CO2, whereas the crowler is filled on the bar top letting in oxygen.  And growlers are reusable, meaning they are 100% green.

The only thing I can think of is that the current screw top growlers don't keep oxygen out for as long.  But that's why we need to go back to these:

I have a couple of those, one of which I picked up on the side of the road that someone left out for trash pick up. A local brewery, Wachusett, uses them.

narvin

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2016, 03:45:28 pm »
I mean, Crowlers look cool and are easy to carry.  But it's not a game changer.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2016, 03:54:06 pm »
They have their place. Cheaper to offer (after investment), easier to comply with label laws in some states, pool and beach friendly, aluminum is easy to recycle and is 100% recyclable, checked baggage safe.

Offline tommymorris

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2016, 07:01:25 am »
checked baggage safe.
I didn't know that. I can bring home beer. Nice.

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2016, 03:29:49 pm »

Found a packie near the lake with a great can selection.