Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Headed to orlando for a long weekend, looking for suggestions.  (Read 1442 times)

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
Any breweries or tours anybody can recommend. My girlfriend and her sister are doing disney I plan on hitting some breweries. Looking for suggestions thank you in advance

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
Re: Headed to orlando for a long weekend, looking for suggestions.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2021, 05:39:07 am »
The Oktoberfest buffet in Epcot is well worth it - it's one of the highlights of my trips to Disney. A liter of dunkel, all the sausage and potatoes you could want, and an oompah band.

Honestly, I'm curious if any locals have any recommendations as well. I spend at least a week in Orlando most years, but spend most of my time in the parks.
Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline roger

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2021, 09:21:02 am »
I am not a local, but live within a few hours drive, and have family there. Have visited several times, pre-COVID. Hopefully, someone more familiar with Orlando will provide more complete information. My understanding is that Florida has opened up, so if crowds make you uncomfortable, going during non-busy hours might be an option. My thoughts, FWIW, for the ones I have visited.

I'm guessing Orlando Brewing is among the most popular overall. My fav of the ones I have visited. It is located in the downtown area in a long, narrow building that has been nicely decorated. I imagine it could get crowded quickly as the space is limited. You can see a picture of the bar on their website. In front of the bar there is enough room for a walkway and one row of tables. Their beers were very good, with plentiful selection. Like many of these breweries they have an event at least one night per week, trivia, etc.

Dead Lizard is in an "Industrial Park." I thought their IPA's were good, the others maybe could be improved. No food, except when they have a food truck.

Ellipsis is near the airport. Really good IPA's, especially NEIPA. They are dog-friendly.

Castle Church is a combo brewery and church, located not too far from Ellipsis. The beer is good, not outstanding, but worth trying if you have the time. Very laid-back and casual.

I have not visited Ocean Sun, but its next on my personal list to try. I've heard some good things about their beer.
Roger

Offline RC

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2021, 07:38:26 pm »
Apologies that this doesn't help answer your question, but on the subject of beer in Orlando, I might add that two of the best beers I've ever had, in Orlando or anywhere else, were dispensed at the Hog's Head tavern at Universal, the one with Hogwarts castle and Hogsmeade. The beers were a Scottish ale and a stout. Neither fit neatly into a BJCP category, but they were amazing. Totally caught me off guard. I was expecting swill. But for real, they were amazing.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 08:23:23 pm »
Thanks everybody

Offline erockrph

• I must live here
  • Chepachet, RI
    • The Hop WHisperer
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2021, 06:37:32 am »
Apologies that this doesn't help answer your question, but on the subject of beer in Orlando, I might add that two of the best beers I've ever had, in Orlando or anywhere else, were dispensed at the Hog's Head tavern at Universal, the one with Hogwarts castle and Hogsmeade. The beers were a Scottish ale and a stout. Neither fit neatly into a BJCP category, but they were amazing. Totally caught me off guard. I was expecting swill. But for real, they were amazing.
I wouldn't call it "amazing" but even Duff that they served in the Simpsons area was better than I expected. Of course my expectations were not very high at all...

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Eric B.

Finally got around to starting a homebrewing blog: The Hop Whisperer

Offline jeffy

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Tampa, Fl
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 06:22:08 pm »
One of the best beer bars in Orlando is Red Light Red Light, especially if you like Belgians and Sours.
Jeff Gladish, Tampa (989.3, 175.1 Apparent Rennarian)
Homebrewing since 1990
AHA member since 1991, now a lifetime member
BJCP judge since 1995

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2021, 05:57:35 am »
I ended up just having drizly deliver me every cigar city beer I could get my hands on. Can't get it where I live and I totally forgot about them after moving up north

Offline dmtaylor

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2021, 06:36:30 am »
I ended up just having drizly deliver me every cigar city beer I could get my hands on. Can't get it where I live and I totally forgot about them after moving up north

Funny.... I was just in Orlando (& Tampa) last month, and I did the same thing!  I was almost going to say something earlier, but bit my tongue.  Redlight Redlight is pretty great, but kind of far from anything else.  But Cigar City, OMG, the beers are all so great.  Their plain ole Lager is an absolute perfect 10!  Very floral and full flavored without anything overpowering, just a wonderful beer.  When I go back I think I'll pick up a couple cases of it.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline Oiscout

• Brewmaster
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2021, 06:48:03 am »
I got a 6 pack of their florida cracker from winn dixie, don't know how old it is but man was it good! When I checked it into untapped it says no longer in production.

The jai low session IPA is good. The florida man I had to try it not my cup of tea but a buddy of mine at work who I trade beer with will like it. Also the maduro brown is perfect!

Can't want and rave enough about their beer!