Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Keggle hole too big  (Read 2997 times)

Offline MrDonde

• Cellarman
  • Aspiring Brewmaster
    • Snow Lion Brewing
Keggle hole too big
« on: July 18, 2016, 09:00:15 am »
Morning,

So I was working on installing some no weld thermometers into my keggle and I drilled the hole too large. So now the thermometer just slips through and is not a water tight seal, even with O-ring. I did a 1 inch hole when I think I should have done a 7/8 inch hole.  :o

Does anyone know of a product or trick that could shrink down the hole or provide a water tight seal? Or should I go out and buy another keg/keggle?

The only idea I had atm was to get a large washer with a 7/8 hole and weld it to the keggle over my 1 inch hole.

Thanks for any help.
-Donde

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
Re: Keggle hole too big
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2016, 09:59:47 am »
Morning,

So I was working on installing some no weld thermometers into my keggle and I drilled the hole too large. So now the thermometer just slips through and is not a water tight seal, even with O-ring. I did a 1 inch hole when I think I should have done a 7/8 inch hole.  :o

Does anyone know of a product or trick that could shrink down the hole or provide a water tight seal? Or should I go out and buy another keg/keggle?

The only idea I had atm was to get a large washer with a 7/8 hole and weld it to the keggle over my 1 inch hole.

Thanks for any help.
Would a large SS washer with a silicon o-ring or thick silicon gasket do the trick?
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.

Offline metron-brewer

• Assistant Brewer
  • White Bear Lake, MN
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2016, 10:05:37 am »
Morning,

Thanks for any help.
Would a large SS washer with a silicon o-ring or thick silicon gasket do the trick?

I've done this with a stainless brew kettle. McMaster Carr carries some High Temp silicone washers as well as stainless washers.
Ron B.
White Bear Lake, MN

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2016, 10:39:31 am »
I'd try the above. Check bargain fittings. Low prices with fast and cheap shipping.

Offline MrDonde

• Cellarman
  • Aspiring Brewmaster
    • Snow Lion Brewing
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2016, 01:53:15 pm »
I'd try the above. Check bargain fittings. Low prices with fast and cheap shipping.

So I am sure what I should be looking for so please bare with me.

The thermometer is very similar to this one. http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brewmometertm-weldless-thermometer , there is the thermometer, two metal washers, two high temp gaskets, and a large metal nut.

Currently when I connect everything the high temp gaskets will touch each other and not form a water tight seal. Should I be looking for thicker gaskets or washers? The washer I have are big enough to prevent the thermometer from just slipping out.

Sorry if I sound silly just a little confused.
-Donde

Offline Stevie

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2016, 01:57:31 pm »
I would sandwich the kettle wall between two thick flat silicone washers and with stainless washers holding those in place. Stainless washers are the bread, silicone washers are mayo and mustard, and kettle wall is the meat.

Offline MrDonde

• Cellarman
  • Aspiring Brewmaster
    • Snow Lion Brewing
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2016, 01:59:27 pm »
I would sandwich the kettle wall between two thick flat silicone washers and with stainless washers holding those in place. Stainless washers are the bread, silicone washers are mayo and mustard, and kettle wall is the meat.

Sweet, thank you for the perfect explanation for some one of my "special" intelligence level.  ;D

So I will look for high temp silicone washers.
-Donde

Offline Stevie

Offline Philbrew

• Brewmaster
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2016, 03:41:03 pm »

So I am sure what I should be looking for so please bare with me.

The thermometer is very similar to this one. http://www.midwestsupplies.com/brewmometertm-weldless-thermometer , there is the thermometer, two metal washers, two high temp gaskets, and a large metal nut.

Currently when I connect everything the high temp gaskets will touch each other and not form a water tight seal. Should I be looking for thicker gaskets or washers? The washer I have are big enough to prevent the thermometer from just slipping out.

Sorry if I sound silly just a little confused.
You might want to go with SS washers with a larger OD than what is shown in your link.
Many of us would be on a strict liquid diet if it weren't for pretzels.