Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: mashing at 148F  (Read 5951 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: mashing at 148F
« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2016, 04:30:46 pm »
Martin - any plans to add that functionality to the supporters version of your spreadsheet?

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: July 20, 2016, 06:53:38 am »
I think I will have the time during Friday's brew session so I will likely just go with the long mash. I am hoping to get down to 1.005 or lower which apparently isn't a stretch.

Chicken  ;D  I would do the same with a LHBS crush.  Maybe while you wait for that long mash to convert you can fix your mill.  70% is not shabby at all tho.
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #17 on: July 20, 2016, 01:24:10 pm »
I think I will have the time during Friday's brew session so I will likely just go with the long mash. I am hoping to get down to 1.005 or lower which apparently isn't a stretch.

Chicken  ;D  I would do the same with a LHBS crush.  Maybe while you wait for that long mash to convert you can fix your mill.  70% is not shabby at all tho.

My mill works I just need a better one. It's a corona style that has been converted to be used with a drill. On top of that I have crappy drills that can't seem to hold a charge so it isn't out of the ordinary for the drill to die in the middle of milling.

I am chicken though. Ha!
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline blair.streit

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: July 20, 2016, 02:09:46 pm »

My mill works I just need a better one. It's a corona style that has been converted to be used with a drill. On top of that I have crappy drills that can't seem to hold a charge so it isn't out of the ordinary for the drill to die in the middle of milling.

I am chicken though. Ha!
In the meantime if you want to try it you could always just run it through the LHBS mill twice. It might not get you exactly what you want, but it would probably be closer and fairly repeatable.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2016, 05:00:35 pm »
I did the mill twice at the LHBS before I got my mill. Boy did I get some strange looks!. But I did have better results when doing this. My LHBS actually does not sell mills, but told me if I bought sacks of grain from them, I could bring in whatever I needed to mill when I picked up yeast, hops, etc. I did that for a couple batches,  but then I bought a mill and a corded drill. No issues with consistency or efficiency since. A corded drill is such a useful tool to have for so many different projects,  glad I bought one for homebrewing
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline mabrungard

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Water matters!
    • Bru'n Water
« Reply #20 on: July 20, 2016, 07:40:11 pm »
Martin - any plans to add that functionality to the supporters version of your spreadsheet?

Which functionality? An estimate of the additional acid needed to drop the wort pH that extra step?
Martin B
Carmel, IN

BJCP National
Foam Blowers of Indiana (FBI)

Brewing Water Information at:
https://www.brunwater.com/

Like Bru'n Water on Facebook
https://www.facebook.com/Brun-Water-464551136933908/?ref=bookmarks

Offline Stevie

« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2016, 07:52:43 pm »

Which functionality? An estimate of the additional acid needed to drop the wort pH that extra step?
Exactly. Amount of acid needed to lower the kettle wort to X pH. I know all the MTF members would love it too. Maybe it has been added, I'm using supporter 3.2 from what I can tell.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2016, 09:15:49 am »
I was very similar.  LHBS double milled and I hit 70's.  That said, there would always be a few times when it was pretty bad.  I didn't suspect foul play just maybe a stone knocked it out of adjustment/etc.  I put it off but finally caved and of course it was that moment that I regretted not doing it sooner.  One thing I like to tell guys is do not use typical modern drills.  Even on low setting it is too fast and strains battery or motor and IIRC some think the faster RPM wears the rollers much faster.  Look in garage sales/estate sale/Craigslist for a ½” old drill with low RPM or variable speed.  Around me they are a dime a dozen for $20. I also recall Harbor Freight has a few options.  You can now buy grain by the sack and save a few bucks. 

Martin, can you expound on the "weird taste" of low mash pH?  I basically relied on Kai citing Kunze that lower mash pH has many advantages and I am pretty happy with it.  Also, I could also be dead wrong but I assume one could be dangerous with using the sparge tab to run numbers per gallon and scale up for kettle acidification.   
Sam
Sandusky, OH