Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Favorite type of wort chiller ?  (Read 4607 times)

Offline salmon1a

• 1st Kit
Favorite type of wort chiller ?
« on: July 19, 2016, 09:42:30 am »
Hi everyone

I'm looking to replace my ancient (20+ year old) homemade 25' copper counterflow wort chiller - I use it as a gravity feed chiller and would prefer to not use a pump.  It's served me well - I sanitize after and before every use but am concerned it has reached the end of it's life (developed a metallic smell).

Any feedback regarding immersion vs counterflow designs and plate vs tube chillers as well as copper vs stainless steel would be appreciated.  I generally brew 12-14 gallon batches in a three tiered system.  Thanks!

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Favorite type of wort chiller ?
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 09:57:52 am »
If you are looking to avoid a pump, immersion is king IMO. Copper or stainless work fine.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 09:59:56 am »
I recently started using a Hydra chiller from JaDeD.  With my 56F water, it took 5.5  gal. from boiling to 58F in 8 minutes.  It's pretty much as fast as a plate or counter flow with a fraction of the hassles.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 10:03:40 am »
I recently started using a Hydra chiller from JaDeD.  With my 56F water, it took 5.5  gal. from boiling to 58F in 8 minutes.  It's pretty much as fast as a plate or counter flow with a fraction of the hassles.
I have heard nothing but good stuff about these. I might need to get one when I run out of other stuff to buy.

Offline Rhoobarb

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 10:21:31 am »
I recently started using the JaDeD Hydra as well and really love it.

http://brulosophy.com/2014/09/23/the-hydra-immersion-chiller-by-jaded-brewing-a-review/
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 10:25:42 am by Rhoobarb »
"Brewing beer to save money makes as much sense as buying a boat to cut costs on a fish dinner." -- Tim French

>^,,^<
Rhoobarb
https://www.facebook.com/pages/Chicken-City-Ale-Raisers/118689024850197

Offline salmon1a

• 1st Kit
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 10:27:32 am »
Thanks for the feedback.  Regarding the immersion style chillers - at what point do you add the chiller and how do you handle the whirlpool step?  I generally whirlpool a few minutes and then allow hops/trub to settle in the middle of the kettle before draining off through my chiller. 

Offline Stevie

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 10:28:59 am »
I remove the chiller before whirlpool.

Offline Brutal Eric

• Cellarman
« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2016, 10:30:32 am »
Jaded Hydra!!!

Offline salmon1a

• 1st Kit
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2016, 11:05:52 am »
Ordered the Hydra - thanks for all your help!

Offline Indy574

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2016, 07:49:26 pm »
HAIL HYDRA!  Couldn't resist the reference. I'm planning on ordering one very soon.

Offline ynotbrusum

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2016, 12:00:15 pm »
For five gallon batches - the Hydra.  For 10ers, I often go with the Jamil recirc then finish with a counter flow with an ice bath pre-chiller for the well water.  Needless to say I get to lager temps pretty darn quick.  Just depends on the outside temp and how much work I want to do in the clean up... Time saved chilling usually is eaten up by the extra cleaning time.
Hodge Garage Brewing: "Brew with a glad heart!"

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2016, 02:42:41 pm »
Recently moved from copper to stainless steel. Guess why (not sure yet whether it helps b/c I have a new Braumeister and I f*ed up my first two batches).
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline EnkAMania

• Brewer
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2016, 03:26:37 pm »

I know in the past reading your comments, that you try to avoid HSA.  They recommend that you move the chiller around the kettle.  Did you stir or did you not stir?
Some day we'll look back on this and it will all seem funny

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2016, 04:58:48 pm »
I have heard nothing but good stuff about these. I might need to get one when I run out of other stuff to buy.
   Is that even possible, running out of important stuff to buy, that is?
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline BrewBama

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2016, 06:54:58 pm »
I recently got a hydra as well. I like immersion chillers because all I have to do it dunk them in my cleanup bucket a few times and hand it on the railing to drip dry

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk