Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Favorite type of wort chiller ?  (Read 4564 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Favorite type of wort chiller ?
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2016, 07:00:36 pm »
I recently started using a Hydra chiller from JaDeD.  With my 56F water, it took 5.5  gal. from boiling to 58F in 8 minutes.  It's pretty much as fast as a plate or counter flow with a fraction of the hassles.
I have heard nothing but good stuff about these. I might need to get one when I run out of other stuff to buy.
   Is that even possible, running out of important stuff to buy, that is?
Dunno. Next is more kegs, the pH meter (even though I vowed to never buy one), then a digital refractometer, then maybe more kegs, then a hydra. With my current process I can get 5 gallons to 90° in 15 minutes and 70° in another 15.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2016, 11:53:07 am »
I recently started using a Hydra chiller from JaDeD.  With my 56F water, it took 5.5  gal. from boiling to 58F in 8 minutes.  It's pretty much as fast as a plate or counter flow with a fraction of the hassles.
I have heard nothing but good stuff about these. I might need to get one when I run out of other stuff to buy.
   Is that even possible, running out of important stuff to buy, that is?
Dunno. Next is more kegs, the pH meter (even though I vowed to never buy one),

You will not be disappointed with a solid pH meter. It has really taken the guesswork out of my water adjustments and given me just a little bit more control over the final product. Well worth it. And who doesn't need more kegs?  I am upwards of 20 right now and treat each one like a tiny baby.

Offline Visor

• Brewmaster
« Reply #17 on: July 28, 2016, 07:33:19 pm »
   Gotta admit I'm interested in the Hydra, today it took 10 minutes to get down to 80, half an hour to 68, and 30 minutes later I was still at 68, that's with a 50' chiller in the wort and a 25' pre-chiller in ice water. Maybe soon the teeth of the hydra will be upon me [that one was for the other old rockers].
   As for refractometers, I violated my one cardinal rule of tool buying and bought one of the $60 ones, it aint worth the powder and lead it'd take to blow it straight to hell! Total waste of beer money. Ya always gotta pay for what ya get, but ya don't always get what all that ya paid for, maybe I'll try a higher dollar one after I get over being miffed, and can scrabble up enough beer money to afford one.
I spent most of my money on beer, tools and guns, the rest I foolishly squandered on stupid stuff!

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2016, 12:59:04 am »
My set up is not quite right fir the hydra, lots of 5 gallon batches in a 15 gallon kettle, so I bought Jaded's King Cobra which is a similar set up just a lower profile.  My older 25' chiller has been relegated to smaller batches in my 8.5 gallon kettle. The Jaded product chills my wort so fast, I had a hard time doing a whirlpool at 170 for my IPA in January, had to turn the burner back on. When I have paid attention, and likely caused some HSA,  it has cooled my batches to under 100 in less than 10 minutes from boiling. Jaded highly recommended by me!
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline 69franx

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2016, 01:00:49 am »
To continue, the hydra would have coils above the wort for most of my batches in the 15G, but the king cobra is too wide for the smaller kettle. I opted for the better chiller in my larger kettle (but big enough for a full boil with no concerns), but ymmv.
Frank L.
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Online denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2016, 09:37:02 am »

I know in the past reading your comments, that you try to avoid HSA.  They recommend that you move the chiller around the kettle.  Did you stir or did you not stir?

I use a pump to do recirculated chilling.  Better than stirring.  The return end of the hose is submerged which minimizes O2.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2016, 09:38:17 am »
To continue, the hydra would have coils above the wort for most of my batches in the 15G, but the king cobra is too wide for the smaller kettle. I opted for the better chiller in my larger kettle (but big enough for a full boil with no concerns), but ymmv.

Contact the JaDeD guys.  They have a number of designs and can help you choose the right one for your situation.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline 69franx

« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2016, 09:43:26 am »
Thanks Denny, I got the king cobra and it works like a dream. The hydra would be good if I was doing 5 gallon batches in my 10 gallon kettle (which I don't have). I have been really happy with my purchase and did not need to special order or customize to get what I needed. Now I am doing a 10 gallon batch this weekend, so the hydra would likely have been better, but I'm confident the cobra will get the job done faster than my old 25' basic IC
Frank L.

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2016, 10:48:42 am »
Thanks Denny, I got the king cobra and it works like a dream. The hydra would be good if I was doing 5 gallon batches in my 10 gallon kettle (which I don't have). I have been really happy with my purchase and did not need to special order or customize to get what I needed. Now I am doing a 10 gallon batch this weekend, so the hydra would likely have been better, but I'm confident the cobra will get the job done faster than my old 25' basic IC

I think you'll be VERY happy with it!

www.dennybrew.com

Offline 69franx

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2016, 10:51:58 am »
I am, been using for almost a year, think I got it last October
Frank L.

Online denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2016, 10:55:21 am »
I am, been using for almost a year, think I got it last October

WHOA...guess I'd better wake up!   :)

www.dennybrew.com

Offline 69franx

« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2016, 10:57:16 am »
Lol
Frank L.