Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Anyone used this keg volume indicator?  (Read 3824 times)

Offline trapae

• Brewer
Anyone used this keg volume indicator?
« on: May 19, 2016, 04:31:06 pm »
 Just wondering if anyone has  used this keg volume indicator and if so,  any opinions?

https://www.ballandkeg.com
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Anyone used this keg volume indicator?
« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2016, 04:40:09 pm »
Haven't spent the $ yet but I will soon. I have friends who use them and they work as advertised. I mostly want them for when I'm bottling from keg, so I can have a rough idea for when the keg's about to blow. Plus I like knowing.
Jon H.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 04:59:31 pm »
Haven't spent the $ yet but I will soon. I have friends who use them and they work as advertised. I mostly want them for when I'm bottling from keg, so I can have a rough idea for when the keg's about to blow. Plus I like knowing.

And knowing is half the battle...

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2016, 05:45:09 pm »
That's kind of genius.
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline Stevie

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2016, 06:08:21 pm »
Somebody brought this up months ago. I think it's neat, but I would loose those BBs like mad

Offline dshepard

• Cellarman
  • Concord, NC
« Reply #5 on: May 20, 2016, 04:22:09 am »
I open my kegerator for a few minutes (unplugged). Shortly there after condensation forms where the beer is. I don't think this will work for keezers though.
Concord, NC

Offline smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
    • Midnight Homebrewers' League
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 11:54:38 am »
The Ball and Keg level indicators work, I have them in 4 or 5 kegs.  As noted previously, they are probably most useful in a kegerator where you can view them from the front, rather than a keezer where you are looking down on them from the top.  If there is enough space in between kegs in a keezer where you could get a good look, I suppose they could be useful there too.

They included a bunch of extra colored steel indicator balls, and I haven't lost any of them yet.  It's a bit tricky to mate the indicator ball with the float inside the keg, but it's just a matter of practice.  The only other trick is to position the keg, once the balls are installed, so that your gas and beer lines inside the kegerator don't touch the indicator ball when you open or close the fridge door, which will most surely knock the ball off the side of the keg.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2016, 11:56:36 am by smkranz »
Steve K.
BJCP Beer & Mead Certified
Midnight Homebrewers' League
http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org

Offline rjharper

• Brewmaster
    • Angry Scotsman Brewing
« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2016, 01:39:54 pm »
For the kegs that matter to me, I tare the empty weight (~8lbs) then weigh the keg and calculate the mass, and hence volume of beer via the FG. #sciencegeek

Offline smkranz

• Brewer
  • Maryland
    • Midnight Homebrewers' League
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2016, 07:24:07 pm »
For the kegs that matter to me, I tare the empty weight (~8lbs) then weigh the keg and calculate the mass, and hence volume of beer via the FG. #sciencegeek

I love the convenience of eyeballing a keg with the little orange ball on the outside.  My two kegerators each have 4 kegs in them.  I can always feel how relatively heavy they are by trying to lift them (bad shoulder permitting), but pulling them out to weigh them would be a royal PITA, especially for the two kegs in the rear.
Steve K.
BJCP Beer & Mead Certified
Midnight Homebrewers' League
http://www.midnighthomebrewers.org

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2016, 10:42:13 pm »
 Just received mine in the mail and going to be kegging in 2 1/2 weeks. I will report back.
I am a great believer in luck, and I find the harder I work, the more I have of it.

Offline trapae

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2016, 03:22:39 pm »
 Update :

Kegged on June 10 and used this ball/keg volume indicator. It was easy to sanitize, easy to locate the ball with the external magnet and switch for the little orange external bead.   It has been working flawlessly with the bead slowly lowering as I have been drinking the beer. I just ordered two more. Pretty cool little invention.

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2016, 08:36:41 am »
Update :

Kegged on June 10 and used this ball/keg volume indicator. It was easy to sanitize, easy to locate the ball with the external magnet and switch for the little orange external bead.   It has been working flawlessly with the bead slowly lowering as I have been drinking the beer. I just ordered two more. Pretty cool little invention.

Cool. I gotta look into those. I usually just carefully pick up the keg and judge how heavy it is.  Man, is that 4 beers or 6 left?

Offline andrewmaixner

• 1st Kit
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2016, 09:59:13 am »
I'd be tempted if I had a upright kegerator. mine is a freezer though, and it's a pretty tight fit, so I would probably knock the balls off accidentally a lot.

I use a small digital hanging luggage scale hooked to part of the keg lid to quickly estimate. if I rigged up some 2-hook attachment for it attach to both of the keg handles, it would be even easier.