Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: carbonating keg in 48 hours  (Read 4915 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
carbonating keg in 48 hours
« on: July 22, 2016, 01:01:20 pm »
I am sure there is a chart somewhere...

I have a little over 24 hours to get a keg reasonably carbed. It doesn't have to be perfect because this is just for a buddy to have a sample while the beer develops.

Fridge is at 38F

I was thinking somewhere around 40 PSI?
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline pete b

• Barre, Ma
Re: carbonating keg in 48 hours
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2016, 01:17:38 pm »
You could shake it for a few minutes at 40 then hook it up overnight at regular serving pressure. It's worked for me before. The colder the better.
« Last Edit: July 22, 2016, 02:02:07 pm by pete b »
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2016, 02:00:06 pm »
Be careful shaking high pressures. If you absolutely need it carb, shake at high pressure briefly, the lower to serving pressure and shake until the regulator stops making noise.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2016, 02:04:56 pm »
24 hours @ 40psi/38F ( I wouldn't go over that) should have the beer mostly carbed, at least well enough to let you eval the beer. Most regulators have a PRV that will only let you pressurize so high before venting anyway. Ask me how I know.....
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2016, 02:05:37 pm »
Ok so there isn't one psi I can leave it at for 48 hours to get it reasonably carbed up?

I thought I have seen on brulosophy that they carb at 50psi for 24 hours of something.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2016, 02:06:25 pm »
24 hours @ 40psi/38F ( I wouldn't go over that) should have the beer mostly carbed, at least well enough to let you eval the beer. Most regulators have a PRV that will only let you pressurize so high before venting anyway. Ask me how I know.....

Cool this is basically what I was looking for.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2016, 02:13:47 pm »
Ok so there isn't one psi I can leave it at for 48 hours to get it reasonably carbed up?

I thought I have seen on brulosophy that they carb at 50psi for 24 hours of something.

Ok, for 48 hrs, I leave it at 30psi/40F. That gets it close, then I drop down to serving pressure. As for the 24 hour plan, 40psi won't vent the regulator but I do know that some regulators will let you go higher. 30psi x 2 days or 40psi-ish X 1 day would be safest. Or the shake method which I'm not a huge fan of.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2016, 02:44:24 pm »

Ok, for 48 hrs, I leave it at 30psi/40F. That gets it close, then I drop down to serving pressure. As for the 24 hour plan, 40psi won't vent the regulator but I do know that some regulators will let you go higher. 30psi x 2 days or 40psi-ish X 1 day would be safest. Or the shake method which I'm not a huge fan of.

Just looking for 48 hours so I should be good. Thanks!

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2016, 04:52:32 pm »
Agreed that 30-35 psi for 48 hrs (providing your beer is cold enough) should get you carbed enough.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2016, 05:13:33 pm »
Agreed that 30-35 psi for 48 hrs (providing your beer is cold enough) should get you carbed enough.

Thanks! The beer was at 34f when I transferred it to the keg.

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2016, 08:48:20 pm »
Set at 30psi for 24 then turn down to 12psi.  I do this for all my beers and works like a charm.  I don't shake too much work for me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline juggabrew303

• Assistant Brewer
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2016, 08:50:08 pm »

I agree, no shake for me either

Offline kgs

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Sonoma County, CA
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2016, 01:20:37 pm »

I agree, no shake for me either

I had done "set and forget" for my first three kegging experiences (I tried shaking the first one and it just seemed awkward), but this time tried 20 degrees psi for 2 days, then turned it down to 10 psi. The only drawback was that the keg hadn't cleared as much as it would have if I had ignored it for a week.  But it's a 2.5gal keg and it was really carbed up by the first day.
K.G. Schneider
AHA Member

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2016, 08:54:59 am »
Thanks for the help all. I got it reasonably carbed up but the the hop character is extremely pungent right now from the keg hops. It was necessary to rush but no harm done.