Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 3 Noob questions from a 1st time homebrewer  (Read 1299 times)

Offline ArEiAs82

• 1st Kit
3 Noob questions from a 1st time homebrewer
« on: July 20, 2016, 05:17:59 pm »
Hi there Homebrewers!

So, i started my first brewing adventure with a kit of american pilsner.

Did the 1st fermentation during 1 week (there was only airlock activity from day 2 to day 3)and then i syphon it to another fermentation keg

Used normal household white sugar (I know... Next one you'll use spraymalt...)
The hydrometer measured: OG:1039º (Before yeast) and FG:1008º (when i syphoned it to 2nd fermentation keg) = 4,0% of alcool

- Question nº1: How much quantity of priming sugar (Dextrose) should i use to prime now?
In the instruccions of the kit (2 photos) i suposed to add 85gms per 23 liters but after searching the internet and using some online calculators it says to use about 173 gms of dextrose per 23 liters.

Now im confused... I like my beer very fizzy but i dont want bottle bombs on my fridge:) What's the correct grams of dextrose to add on 23 liters of american pilsner on 21cº to archieve something like 2,7 volume of CO2?

- Question nº2: I don't know if it's enough another week on the 2nd fermentation keg (2 weeks total) before bottling, is it?

- Question nº3: After bottling, how many days should i let them on the bottle before opening? How many days on warm? And how many days in the fridge?

Thank you in advance!
Sorry for my english (It's not my native language)

Offline flars

• Assistant Brewer
Re: 3 Noob questions from a 1st time homebrewer
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2016, 07:57:05 pm »
The 173 grams of dextrose for priming seems right.  You won't have to worry about bombs with this amount.  Bombs usually come from infection or a fermentation that finishes in the bottle.  Bombs can also come from too much priming sugar, but this amount is definitely not too much.

One week in the secondary will be sufficient for clearing as long as you are sure the fermentation was complete in the primary.  I would check the SG after one week in the secondary to see if it has changed.  Try at least two weeks in the primary for your next beer to make sure the fermentation finishes while on the yeast cake. 

Keep your bottles at about 21°C for two weeks before sampling the first one.  Chill the bottle for a couple of days before opening.  Warm beers can gush if the bottle sediment is disturbed.

Offline ArEiAs82

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2016, 09:19:21 am »
The 173 grams of dextrose for priming seems right.  You won't have to worry about bombs with this amount.  Bombs usually come from infection or a fermentation that finishes in the bottle.  Bombs can also come from too much priming sugar, but this amount is definitely not too much.

One week in the secondary will be sufficient for clearing as long as you are sure the fermentation was complete in the primary.  I would check the SG after one week in the secondary to see if it has changed.  Try at least two weeks in the primary for your next beer to make sure the fermentation finishes while on the yeast cake. 

Keep your bottles at about 21°C for two weeks before sampling the first one.  Chill the bottle for a couple of days before opening.  Warm beers can gush if the bottle sediment is disturbed.

That's a relief! Thank you for your help!

Offline ArEiAs82

• 1st Kit
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2016, 04:57:38 pm »
Hi flars!

Just came here to thank you!

The beer just came out awesome!

Here are some pictures of the result:
https://postimg.org/image/y75fwl4nz/
https://postimg.org/image/l6ehl4wvz/

Thank you!