Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: altbier feedback  (Read 1743 times)

Offline Iliff Ave

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
altbier feedback
« on: July 19, 2016, 03:16:36 pm »
Now that Friday's saison recipe is finalized it is time to move onto thinking about my next batch. This beer will be brewed in mid August and likely enjoyed throughout the fall. I thought an alt might be good for that time of year. I have brewed something similar to what is below but am backing off the munich malt here after searching through a few threads. I basically took the zum uerige recipe, upped the caramunich slightly, added some munich, and changed the bittering hops.

85.7% pilsner
9.5% munich 9L
3.6% caramunich III
1.2% carafa III

18 g Magnum 60 min
42 g Spalt 20 min

~42 IBU
WY1007

Questions:
Mash temp? Planning on 149F

Mash pH? Planning on 5.35. Should I go lower?

Water Profile? I know that city profiles are not usually recommended but Dusseldorf (boiled) looks good to me.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline Iliff Ave

Re: altbier feedback
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2016, 03:19:29 pm »
Also, I realize that a multi step mash or decoction is traditional here. I don't have the ability to easily do that so am just going for a single infusion.

Offline dmtaylor

• Lord Idiot the Lazy
    • YEAST MASTER Perma-Living
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2016, 03:20:58 pm »
Looks great to me.  Enjoy.
Dave

The world will become a much more pleasant place to live when each and every one of us realizes that we are all idiots.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2016, 03:32:58 pm »
Depends on what you want...Munich malt seems to not be used very often in German alts, although I really like it in my version.  I do a 60 min. mash at 150.  Never bothered to check pH because between my water and the dark Munich they always turn out great.  But I think your pH target looks good.  I'd advise you to skip the caramunich.  Also, I prefer Sinamar to using dark malts...easier to dial in the color.  If you want to go more German, look for the Zum Uerige recipe here in the forum.  Here's my American take on an alt, which has won me a lot of awards....http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/MilosAlt
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 03:34:59 pm by denny »
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2016, 03:36:52 pm »
Depends on what you want...Munich malt seems to not be used very often in German alts, although I really like it in my version.  I do a 60 min. mash at 150.  Never bothered to check pH because between my water and the dark Munich they always turn out great.  But I think your pH target looks good.  If you want to go more German, look for the Zum Uerige recipe here in the forum.  Here's my American take on an alt, which has won me a lot of awards....http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/MilosAlt

Thanks Denny. As mentioned, I developed this after looking the Zum Uerige recipe which I have saved. My thought is that 1 pound of Munich 9L isn't going send this too far out of bounds. The recipe which I have tried 2 or 3 times had about 22% munich so I have backed off considerably. I think I have about 2 oz more caramunich than what I would use for the Zum Uerige recipe on my system.

I applied some of what Martin was thinking from another thread:
"I've brewed at both ends of the malt bill spectrum and I have to say that neither grist is correct. With a very high proportion of Munich malt, the beer is too richly malty. I just brewed the recipe that Denny posted which is at the all Pils end of the spectrum and have to say that its fine, but it needs just a bit of Munich to add to the depth of malt flavor. I'm guessing that about 25% light Munich might meet the depth I expect." 

So basically, I am just hoping that the munich will add some malt complexity without being too overpoweringly malty.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 03:44:52 pm by goschman »

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2016, 04:08:20 pm »
I brewed this back in March to try out the K-97 dry German ale yeast. I'm happy with the way it turned out.
three gallons, O G 1.046, F G 1.010, IBUs 47 (+_), SRM 14ish
4 1/2 pounds Heidelberg malt
      1 pound Bestmaltz munich malt
      8 ounces Bestmaltz vienna malt
      8 ounces carawheat
      2 ounces chocolate wheat malt
   3/5 ounce backyard sterlings @ 7% (+_) for 45 minutes
       1 ounce spalt @ 3.2% for 45 minutes
    1/2 ounce spalt @ 3.2% for 21 minutes
       1 pinch irish moss for15 minutes
1/8 tsp nutrient for 15 minutes
     1/2 ounce spalt @ 3.2% for 10 minutes
        1 pack K-97

I mashed at 151 for 45 minutes, fermented at 66 for three weeks, and lagered at 34 for five weeks.

I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2016, 06:05:54 pm »
Thanks! I believe the thread I got Martin's comment from was yours.

What's your thoughts on the k97? I have used it a few times and still not sure how I feel about it. I think it's hard for me to tell a difference between it and us05 in the styles I have brewed.

Offline Steve Ruch

• Senior Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2016, 04:08:52 pm »
Thanks! I believe the thread I got Martin's comment from was yours.

What's your thoughts on the k97? I have used it a few times and still not sure how I feel about it. I think it's hard for me to tell a difference between it and us05 in the styles I have brewed.

I like the alt I brewed with it; haven't used it on anything else.
I love to go swimmin'
with hairy old women