Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 30m boil help  (Read 9428 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: 30m boil help
« Reply #60 on: August 26, 2016, 03:57:38 pm »
Gonna definitely try a shorter boil at some point soon. Not too scared of DMS at this point, but I'll admit that 30 mins does seem short for pils malt. Of course we all thought that 60 minutes seemed short for a pils boil, too....

Even in spite of Brulosophy's exbeeriment with a 30 min boil and pilsner malt resulting in no detectable DMS (even by lab analysis, IIRC), I still cannot bring myself to give it a shot.

Kinda feeling that way with pils myself. A U.S. 2 row might be different .
Jon H.

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #61 on: August 26, 2016, 05:28:43 pm »
Mostly agree with British styles as I open ferment my bitters and milds and tend to abuse the yeast a bit more than other strains. Except, I made my most recent dark mild with Brewtan B and at one week in the bottle it's better than any mild I've made previously using the same recipe, whether it's aged or not. Still waiting to hear back on someone who's used it on a hoppier style. Regardless, I'm starting to believe that there is something to this stuff for home brewers. The purported stability effects might be more important for bottlers. Hard to say without more data.  :D

Sorry to derail the thread a bit here...

Thread derails are how we all learn around here!

That being said, I won't derail further. But as for Brewtan B, I'm torn. I'm really interested in it's affects and the results folks are getting...but at the same time I'm having a hard time "liking" adding a "chemical" to my beer. Yes, I know it's irrational, there's nothing wrong with Brewtan B at all...but there's a part of me that's bothered by it. That being said, I do use whirfloc, isinglass, gelatin, etc. I don't get it.
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #62 on: August 26, 2016, 05:53:11 pm »
but at the same time I'm having a hard time "liking" adding a "chemical" to my beer. Yes, I know it's irrational, there's nothing wrong with Brewtan B at all...but there's a part of me that's bothered by it. That being said, I do use whirfloc, isinglass, gelatin, etc.

Phil, I hear you but according to Wyeast (who only sells it at this time to breweries who buy it in big quantities) Brewtan B is "extracted from renewable plant materials specifically for the brewing industry". Personally I'm not more concerned using it than I am in using whirlfloc (seaweed), isinglass (fish bladder), or gelatin (extracted from animal tissue). Brewtan B has high molecular weight purposely, to help it settle out of suspension easily. Regardless, there's never any harm in being super careful with what you add to your beer.
Jon H.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #63 on: August 27, 2016, 07:26:27 am »
Thread derails are cool on my threads so long it is brewing related. ;D

It's funny.  When I discovered polyclar in the boil, I kept it secret a few years and then decided this group was cool enough to share the info but no one cares and brewtan gets all the love.  I think it is the chemical nature of it...  I am kinda odd like Andrew Zimmern and not much grosses me out but I really despise gelatine.  I am just using the store brand knox but the stuff smells horrible when prepared.  But it works and I have to use it on 3470 beers.  Generally speaking I prefer only using additives on hot side. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

narvin

« Reply #64 on: August 27, 2016, 09:27:15 am »
Brewbrite, oddly enough also available and popular in Australia, is some combination of carrageenan and pvpp and is used at the end of the boil.  There are discussions of it vs the newer Brewtan B on the Aussie forums if anyone is interested.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #65 on: August 27, 2016, 09:53:59 am »
Gonna definitely try a shorter boil at some point soon. Not too scared of DMS at this point, but I'll admit that 30 mins does seem short for pils malt. Of course we all thought that 60 minutes seemed short for a pils boil, too....

Even in spite of Brulosophy's exbeeriment with a 30 min boil and pilsner malt resulting in no detectable DMS (even by lab analysis, IIRC), I still cannot bring myself to give it a shot.

Tell yourself it's only beer...if something goes wrong you can always make more.  Take the leap of faith, grasshopper....
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #66 on: August 29, 2016, 09:49:53 am »
Did a NGP this weekend and wort sample seemed a little more malty and it got me thinking about the whole "it's maltier since less IBU thing".  First off, the few times I was little low on bittering, I do not recall perceiving a higher amount of maltiness.  It was just less bitter or maybe had a kinda watered down taste, but no increase in maltiness.  Am I off here?  In a similar vein, what is everyone's preferred IBU method/setting?  I got ole Promash set to Tinseth... 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #67 on: August 29, 2016, 10:12:30 am »
Tinseth here.

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #68 on: August 29, 2016, 10:31:17 am »
I use rager as it is what JZ used on his podcasts and in BCS. I cut my teeth with those recipes and just stuck with it.

Offline narcout

• Brewmaster General
  • Los Angeles, CA
« Reply #69 on: August 29, 2016, 10:33:04 am »
Phil, I hear you but according to Wyeast (who only sells it at this time to breweries who buy it in big quantities) Brewtan B is "extracted from renewable plant materials specifically for the brewing industry".

According to the spec sheet, it is extracted from the galls of the Chinese Sumac (Rhus semialata) or the leaves of the Sicilian Sumac (Rhus coriaria). 
Sometimes you just can't get enough - JAMC

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #70 on: August 29, 2016, 11:14:29 am »
Mostly agree with British styles as I open ferment my bitters and milds and tend to abuse the yeast a bit more than other strains. Except, I made my most recent dark mild with Brewtan B and at one week in the bottle it's better than any mild I've made previously using the same recipe, whether it's aged or not. Still waiting to hear back on someone who's used it on a hoppier style. Regardless, I'm starting to believe that there is something to this stuff for home brewers. The purported stability effects might be more important for bottlers. Hard to say without more data.  :D

Sorry to derail the thread a bit here...

Thread derails are how we all learn around here!

That being said, I won't derail further. But as for Brewtan B, I'm torn. I'm really interested in it's affects and the results folks are getting...but at the same time I'm having a hard time "liking" adding a "chemical" to my beer. Yes, I know it's irrational, there's nothing wrong with Brewtan B at all...but there's a part of me that's bothered by it. That being said, I do use whirfloc, isinglass, gelatin, etc. I don't get it.

EVERYTHING is chemicals

www.dennybrew.com

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #71 on: August 29, 2016, 11:44:12 am »
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline Phil_M

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Southern Maryland
« Reply #72 on: August 29, 2016, 12:25:21 pm »

EVERYTHING is chemicals

I know, it isn't a rational feeling. Though I do fit squarely in your "oldschool master" mindset, so that's likely a factor.

Maybe I just need to see it sitting on the shelf at the LHBS, then I'll go out and try it...
Corn is a fine adjunct in beer.

And don't buy stale beer.

Offline denny

• Administrator
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #73 on: August 29, 2016, 01:49:59 pm »
I know, it isn't a rational feeling. Though I do fit squarely in your "oldschool master" mindset, so that's likely a factor.

Maybe I just need to see it sitting on the shelf at the LHBS, then I'll go out and try it...

FYI, the guy who turned me on to it is profiled in the book as an old school master, so there!  :)  And you won't find it at your LHBS, at least for a while.

www.dennybrew.com

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #74 on: August 31, 2016, 08:20:50 am »
EVERYTHING is chemicals

Worst of all it's already saturated in the environment and in your body and you can't completely eliminate it.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing