Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: 30m boil help  (Read 9364 times)

Offline beersk

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • In the night!
Re: 30m boil help
« Reply #75 on: August 31, 2016, 09:32:50 am »
I know, it isn't a rational feeling. Though I do fit squarely in your "oldschool master" mindset, so that's likely a factor.

Maybe I just need to see it sitting on the shelf at the LHBS, then I'll go out and try it...

FYI, the guy who turned me on to it is profiled in the book as an old school master, so there!  :)  And you won't find it at your LHBS, at least for a while.
That's like saying just because someone is BJCP means they can taste beer. Titles/labels mean nothing.
Jesse

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #76 on: September 17, 2016, 02:41:12 pm »
I
Titles/labels mean nothing.

I get that but the BJCP is a point of validation or scientifically, calibration.

In any event, just kegged the NGP and I am really digging it already.  Easily my best pils to date and the main reason being is the hops: santiam.  Love them!  Back to the regularly scheduled program: I still think the shorter boil has an impact on the malt presence somehow.  It's not night and day but it's there.  I really think you helles/malty guys should try it and call me out if I am wrong. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #77 on: September 17, 2016, 03:07:31 pm »
I

I get that but the BJCP is a point of validation or scientifically, calibration.

In any event, just kegged the NGP and I am really digging it already.  Easily my best pils to date and the main reason being is the hops: santiam.  Love them!  Back to the regularly scheduled program: I still think the shorter boil has an impact on the malt presence somehow.  It's not night and day but it's there.  I really think you helles/malty guys should try it and call me out if I am wrong.

Any more descriptors you can give on how the short boil is affecting malt flavors?

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #78 on: September 17, 2016, 04:35:44 pm »
I

I really think you helles/malty guys should try it and call me out if I am wrong. 
Planning on it for my next helles...But it'll also be full low DO with all stainless as well. No more copper. I sold my chiller to a friend who needed a bigger chiller since he does 10 gallon batches. That chiller served me well over the years. But the lure of all stainless took hold...
Jesse

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #79 on: September 18, 2016, 10:29:59 am »
...and you can always them a hunk of copper in the kettle toward the end of boil if you think it has some positive effect.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2016, 07:03:25 am »
I

Any more descriptors you can give on how the short boil is affecting malt flavors?

I'll try but prose is not my bag.  For starters, I don't there is any increase in sweetness of the flavor, but maybe aroma.  The largest affect, I think is towards the aroma.  I think it resembles the aroma of chilled wort.  It is also present in the taste but much less so than aroma.  I don't think it is "it" as I tend to think "it" resembles the mash aroma but it could be a part of "it".  I cannot imagine anyone would call this effect a fault. 

I would be very curious of the effect on a malty recipe.  This NGP was 86/10/4  2 row/flaked barley/acid malt and previous was a saison with a touch of chocolate malt for color (no malty stuff) so I would deduce the short boil might have a even larger effect on a recipe with malty stuff like munich. 

Of course, this all could be confirmation bias but I don't think it is. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline beersk

• In the night!
« Reply #81 on: September 19, 2016, 10:44:36 am »
I

I'll try but prose is not my bag.  For starters, I don't there is any increase in sweetness of the flavor, but maybe aroma.  The largest affect, I think is towards the aroma.  I think it resembles the aroma of chilled wort.  It is also present in the taste but much less so than aroma.  I don't think it is "it" as I tend to think "it" resembles the mash aroma but it could be a part of "it".  I cannot imagine anyone would call this effect a fault. 

I would be very curious of the effect on a malty recipe.  This NGP was 86/10/4  2 row/flaked barley/acid malt and previous was a saison with a touch of chocolate malt for color (no malty stuff) so I would deduce the short boil might have a even larger effect on a recipe with malty stuff like munich. 

It certainly makes sense, Sam. The longer and harder you boil, the more aroma and flavor you boil off.
Jesse

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #82 on: September 19, 2016, 11:21:36 am »
I

So almost a more "raw" malt note. Interesting. Thanks for giving that a try.