Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Pressure Cooker  (Read 2741 times)

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
Pressure Cooker
« on: June 28, 2016, 06:01:03 am »
I think the last time we had a pressure cooker thread was 2010 so it seemed like a good time to start a new one. We had a Presto PC and I believe the gasket died so we ditched it around 2011. My wife decided she wanted a new one earlier this year and after some research I landed on the Fagor Duo which is an 8 quart and was recommended by America's Test Kitchen.

According to ATK the price should have been $80-90, but all we could find was $110 which seems kinda pricey for a pot. After some searching around we found it on Kohl's website and with some bucks my wife had and a percentage off got it home for around $70. My first cook was beef ribs and wouldn't you know it the lid had a defect. I sent a note to Fagor CS and they shipped out new parts and after install we've not had another issue.

Last night I cooked some pork ribs and my wife loved them. I still prefer a smoker for ribs, but 30 minutes vs hours on the grill is a big difference especially with so little prep to get rolling. We're pulling it out about once a week and have even tried it with frozen meat with great results. The one recipe that didn't quite work was a chicken recipe and apparently even when frozen they meant for the pieces to be separated.

If I were looking for a space saver I would get one of these and use it as a pressure cooker and a stock pot for dual duty.
It's not a popularity contest, it's beer!

Offline Delo

• Brewer
Re: Pressure Cooker
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2016, 07:46:15 am »
Great idea for a thread.  I love my pressure cooker and I’m interested in what others are doing.    It is probably one of the best things I have gotten.  The small amount of time it takes to make meals is hard to believe.   I have the same one as you but if I had to do it again I would think of getting the 10qt one because I think you can use it to pressure can quart jars.

I've used it for all sorts of food.  Sunday I used it to make a risotto, which was pretty good and was basically labor free compared to making it the traditional way. Last night I used it to make dahl and basmati rice.    There are definitely some things don’t come as well as other ways of cooking, but man does it save time.  I’ve been trying to get my wife on board with it so we can get rid of our slow cooker, which is taking up valuable real estate in our kitchen cabinets.

BTW I think you are the one I have to thank (or curse) for the advice about the akorn, which is another of my favorites.   
Mark

narvin

« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2016, 08:18:53 am »
I got the All-American, since I really wanted something built like a tank.  I use it often for canning wort but I haven't really gotten into pressure cooking meals.  Maybe in the winter when things cool down.  Risotto is an interesting idea I'd never thought of.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2016, 08:52:19 am »
I have an All-American canner, but it would be far too big for meals unless you were feeding an army.

Glad you like the Akorn. I'm thinking of buying a second one to have as a backup and for when I need two temps. They now have a Jr. on the market.

Here's the recipe from last night. I added in some brown sugar to the rub and I would boost the salt about 20% if I was going for it again. We did not have a rack for the bottom so I used a rack from a small oven tray which fit pretty well to keep the ribs out of the liquid.
http://www.fagoramerica.com/my_fagor/recipe_library/pressure_cooker/meat/baby_back_ribs

Offline reverseapachemaster

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
    • Brain Sparging on Brewing
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2016, 09:23:13 am »
I have my wife's grandmother's pressure cooker from the 1960s. They gave it to us with some spare gaskets so after replacing the gaskets it works great. So far I've only used it a few times and haven't really delved into using it. I'm slightly terrified of it exploding though.
Heck yeah I blog about homebrewing: Brain Sparging on Brewing

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2016, 10:48:58 am »
Here's the recipe from last night. I added in some brown sugar to the rub and I would boost the salt about 20% if I was going for it again. We did not have a rack for the bottom so I used a rack from a small oven tray which fit pretty well to keep the ribs out of the liquid.
http://www.fagoramerica.com/my_fagor/recipe_library/pressure_cooker/meat/baby_back_ribs
The junior akorn may be a purchase in the near future!  Ribs sounds good and are making me hungry.  When I made chicken I used the the basket that came with it to keep the chicken out of the liquid.  It seemed to work ok. 

Risotto is an interesting idea I'd never thought of.
It may not be traditional, but it comes out great.   One of my favorites is asparagus.  I blanch the asparagus and use the water to make the risotto. 

I'm slightly terrified of it exploding though.
This is what took me a while before I got one.  The ones put out today have a bunch of safety features to keep that from happening.  I still get a little worried when it makes a ping sound.

Hard boiled eggs come out great and are very easy to peel.  I make a ring out of foil for each egg to stand them upright and cook them in the basket on low for about 5 or 6 minutes.  Quick release and cold water bath for eggs.  The shells come right off.

Mark

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2016, 11:23:01 am »
When I was a youngster my mother's pressure cooker blew out the pressure relief valve which was basically a piece of metal. It gouged the ceiling. I think our old Presto had something similar.

The Fagor has an area of the gasket which will leak and allow steam to escape (no flying parts) and as a secondary the lid has two different mechanisms for keeping the pressure in check. Basically there is very little that could explode in this model.

Offline boulderbrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 12:35:10 pm »
We have an All-American for canning also doubles as the outside of a double boiler when I'm making cheese. We also have the Fagor splendid 10 quart (only one pressure) that we use quite a bit for cooking. Lately is have been put to use making bone broth, and as a second stock pot. It is nice to make broth in an hour (chicken) or 2 (beef) instead of 18 to 24 hours.

narvin

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 04:02:08 pm »
I have an All-American canner, but it would be far too big for meals unless you were feeding an army.

Go big or go home!  I do buy my tomatos in 105 oz cans.

Offline 1vertical

• I spend way too much time on the AHA forum
  • Ozone Layer. Actual location
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2016, 10:39:39 pm »
Is it truly ok to discuss these devices??  ???
A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.

Offline MDixon

• Brewmaster General
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2016, 05:17:48 am »
For meal preparation or food preservation...yes.

Offline santoch

• Senior Brewmaster
  • Riverview, FL
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2016, 12:53:31 pm »

If I were looking for a space saver I would get one of these and use it as a pressure cooker and a stock pot for dual duty.

Not to mention, a starter wort canner.
Looking for a club near my new house
BJCP GM3/Mead Judge

Offline theoman

• Brewmaster
  • Outskirts of Brussels, Belgium
« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2016, 06:59:57 am »
I bit the bullet on an Instant Pot IP-Duo60 about 6 months ago and have never looked back. I love it. I can have a bag of dry beans ready to eat in about 45 minutes including ramp-up time. Downside: It's not recommended for canning. Upside: It can work as a slow cooker as well.

Cooking with a pressure cooker definitely takes some getting used to and I'm still learning.