Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Imperial Yeast  (Read 17213 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Imperial Yeast
« on: July 22, 2016, 05:12:54 pm »
General thoughts and feedback?

When I asked about some out of stock strains a MoreBeer rep told me they don't know if they will be restocking and I can't get them locally. Seven Bridges carries them and is 2 day transit, but they don't carry all of the strains and I don't order enough from them to justify shipping. I'm excited to tryout a new lab and I like the 200b count.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
Re: Imperial Yeast
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 12:25:38 am »
I just picked up a can of the 3711 variant,  can't recall the name off the top of my head, to use in my saison next weekend. Fingers crossed. It looks like my LHBS is going to stock Imperial for Wyeast whenever possible, they still had what looked to be the full lineup of WL, and some Wyeast, including 3724 (said Imperial did not have that Dupont isolate yet) we will see how it goes
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Elotin

• 1st Kit
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 02:47:27 am »
I have used some of the imperial yeast strains as the LHBS i work at started stocking them this spring. So far i have had nothing but good beers from them.

Tested the following:
A04 - Barbarian: The conan yeast straing. Fermented well at 22c and attenuated from 1.070 to 1.012 in about a week. Lovely stone fruit flavours with very little alcohol warmth. Did it in room temperature as i was moving and my ferm chamber was still packed away.
G03 - Dieter: Lovely Kölch strain. Paired with wakatu hops and got a clean crisp and slightly fruity kölch. The fruitiness was mostly from the hops as i have also done them in a pils before and got the exact same aroma. Lovely if you want to vary your lagers a bit.
G02 - Kaizer: Altbier strain. Super clean and bringing some maltiness. Still aging.
A09 - Pub: Fast fermenting and flocculating english ale yeast. Produced a phenomenal Mild.

The general thing for the imperial yeasts are they they can be a bit slow to get going but finishes in a normal amount of time.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2016, 02:45:15 pm »
I have Rustic (supposedly Blaugies 3726) on deck with next beer.  Same here, excited as Blaugies is probably my favorite yeast and also the cell count.  I will try to remember and post results. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2016, 03:22:50 pm »
I have Rustic (supposedly Blaugies 3726) on deck with next beer.  Same here, excited as Blaugies is probably my favorite yeast and also the cell count.  I will try to remember and post results. 

Yeah, please post. I'm curious to see how you think it compares to 3726. The descriptions for the Imperial sound a little different than my experience with 3726. Ferm schedule makes a huge difference in saisons though.
Jon H.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2016, 07:58:10 am »

Yeah, please post. I'm curious to see how you think it compares to 3726. The descriptions for the Imperial sound a little different than my experience with 3726. Ferm schedule makes a huge difference in saisons though.

Brewed my saison Sat.  Was hoping to provide some sensory input on the yeast at pitching but ‘twas just “yeasty”.  I will say there was a TON of yeast compared to the other yeast products...  I am using my “standard” saison ferment (pitch 64F/kill cooling at high krausen and end up high 70’s) so I hope to recognize the yeast character and I am quite familiar with Blaugies’ signature. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2016, 09:32:51 am »
Keep in mind that the Imperial guys came from Wyeast...that should give you some clues about the yeast.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2016, 10:30:00 am »
Keep in mind that the Imperial guys came from Wyeast...that should give you some clues about the yeast.

Didn't know that, Denny. That leads me to think that 'Rustic' might well be 3726 then. Definitely gonna try it (and a few of the others).
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2016, 10:34:51 am »
I pitched one can of Napolean(3711) into 2 separate buckets of my saison, along with 1 1L starter of 3724 to each on Saturday evening, running at room temp with foil over bungs. Fermentation seems to be going well, thick head of krausen at least on top of the one bucket I peeked at. No sensory evals yet, will post back when I have some to share
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2016, 10:46:26 am »

Didn't know that, Denny. That leads me to think that 'Rustic' might well be 3726 then. Definitely gonna try it (and a few of the others).

Yeah, both the owner and head lab guy came from Wyeast.
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline hopfenundmalz

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Milford, MI
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2016, 11:41:59 am »

Yeah, both the owner and head lab guy came from Wyeast.
Yeah, they came from Wyeast, but they source the strains from various places, according to someone I was drinking with in Baltinore. ;)
Jeff Rankert
AHA Lifetime Member
BJCP National
Ann Arbor Brewers Guild
Home-brewing, not just a hobby, it is a lifestyle!

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2016, 12:09:10 pm »
I suspect that's mostly due to legal reasons but I suppose that could potentially mean some variation.  It was almost too coincidental that Wyeast is not running 3726 anymore. 

I kinda like their quirky yeast names instead of numbers. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2016, 09:47:17 am »
Mine is basically done so I decided to pop the airlock off and take a whiff.  Smells like Blaugies to me.  Very much in line with the 3726 comments here: https://www.maltosefalcons.com/tech/guide-saisons-and-saison-yeasts  Getting excited!
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #13 on: August 03, 2016, 09:49:41 am »
Mine is basically done so I decided to pop the airlock off and take a whiff.  Smells like Blaugies to me.  Very much in line with the 3726 comments here: https://www.maltosefalcons.com/tech/guide-saisons-and-saison-yeasts  Getting excited!

Awesome! Thanks.
Jon H.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #14 on: August 03, 2016, 12:32:54 pm »

Awesome! Thanks.

How long do you keep the beer on this yeast?  I am out of homebrew and tend to rush things...  From memory, I think this finishes 1.007ish fairly quickly.  OG was 1.058 10% sugar
Sam
Sandusky, OH