Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Imperial Yeast  (Read 17110 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Imperial Yeast
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2016, 12:35:36 pm »
Mine is basically done so I decided to pop the airlock off and take a whiff.  Smells like Blaugies to me.  Very much in line with the 3726 comments here: https://www.maltosefalcons.com/tech/guide-saisons-and-saison-yeasts  Getting excited!

Awesome! Thanks.

How long do you keep the beer on this yeast?  I am out of homebrew and tend to rush things...  From memory, I think this finishes 1.007ish fairly quickly.  OG was 1.058 10% sugar

I never keg a saison before 3 weeks - that's usually the sweet spot for me. Some strains are so slow to chew that last point or two. Always seems to make a better beer. I'm sure it's at FG in less time though.
Jon H.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2016, 01:05:55 pm »
Noooooooooooooooooooooooo  ;D  Is that sorta 2 week ferment and then held at warmer temps and then a week of cold crash? 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2016, 01:14:45 pm »
Noooooooooooooooooooooooo  ;D  Is that sorta 2 week ferment and then held at warmer temps and then a week of cold crash? 

No, not a week of cold crash. More like 67F for a couple days, then let rise to 75F-ish and leave alone, keg @ 3 weeks-ish. Just me.
Jon H.

Offline dilluh98

• Brewmaster
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2016, 01:32:25 pm »
My standard for WLP565 is 3 weeks. It'll chew down to 1.007-1.005 really quickly but typically slowly chip away a few more points over the last two weeks if you let it. I think the flavors come together better with 3 weeks on the yeast as well. Most people will say 2 weeks or shorter is fine. As with almost everything home brew, YMMV.

Offline brewinhard

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2016, 01:14:02 pm »
Yeah, time is dependent on strain choice in this situation. Even with 100% foil over the carboy mouth vs. a typical airlock with WY 3724, the krausen has finally completely fallen back into the beer and that was a total of about 28-30 days. Still quite some time, even when kept at 80F. So foil helps a little bit anyway.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2016, 08:37:00 am »
Yeah, time is dependent on strain choice in this situation. Even with 100% foil over the carboy mouth vs. a typical airlock with WY 3724, the krausen has finally completely fallen back into the beer and that was a total of about 28-30 days. Still quite some time, even when kept at 80F. So foil helps a little bit anyway.

I have not checked gravity yet but IF this is Blaugies, it will be single digits in a few days along with the trademark flavor profile.  How much it improves during bulk conditions is debatable to me at this point.  In the past, I had my saisons kegged at a weekish and was VERY happy but admit I think they improved a bit with some age.  Right now seriously debating grabbing a case of champagne bottles and bottling half and kegging the remainder this weekend and doing a side by side for us. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2016, 09:52:26 am »
I know it's a mixed culture with Napoleon and 3724 for my saison, but it has taken my 1.052 wort down to 1.006/7 9 days out from pitching.  First sample was great last night, and a bit spicier than I remember when using 3724 and 3711. My ferm schedule also changed a bit, but actually a little on the lower side. Right now I am very happy with what the Napoleon seems to be bringing to the batch. Racking to secondary this weekend on blackberries and lemon balm. So final results are still to come
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Stevie

« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2016, 10:48:19 pm »
Finally getting around to using the Rustic. The can did not explode or spew like some have complained. It did give a bit of a "pop" which scared me, but overall I got a good pour with very minimal yeast left behind.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #23 on: August 23, 2016, 08:10:17 am »
Got Deiter going in a kolsch right now.

A saison I recently had that used Napolean was probably the cleanest saison I have ever tasted. I am not sure what his fermentation profile was but the prominent character I got was citrus without the pepper. I thought my saison fermented cool with Belle was clean until I tried this guy...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #24 on: August 24, 2016, 06:22:46 am »
Kegged my saison recently and I think Rustic is definitely of Blaugies descent.  Very happy.  Yes, the can popped a bit but I am still in shock...  The amount of yeast Imperial puts in the can is incredible.  I do think the "extended aging"/me not rushing to tap added some smoothness and dare I say a slight tartness or sourness that I do not recall when tapping at day 7.  A little more funk if you will. 
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #25 on: August 24, 2016, 06:23:46 am »
Kegged my saison recently and I think Rustic is definitely of Blaugies descent.  Very happy.  Yes, the can popped a bit but I am still in shock...  The amount of yeast Imperial puts in the can is incredible.  I do think the "extended aging"/me not rushing to tap added some smoothness and dare I say a slight tartness or sourness that I do not recall when tapping at day 7.  A little more funk if you will. 

Awesome. Thanks for the info. Great news !
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2016, 05:07:19 pm »
Week into fermentation and my Rustic carboy is at about 82% AA, 1.053 - 1.009. I'd say it's juicy fruit gum with some spicy notes. I've read bubble gum, but it's juicy fruit, not pink. I won't be able to keg this batch for at least a few weeks, so maybe it will go further.

I started at 68° for 24 hours. Let it free rise to 74 in a 72° chamber for two days and then put into ambient as I needed the space. It peaked at around 78° on day 4 in a 76° room. It's odd to see fermenters out in the open. Hasn't been like that in years.

Do you get the same from 3726 Jon?

For sure a keeper and I'd like to mix it with other strains for a more layered profile.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2016, 05:19:25 pm »
Week into fermentation and my Rustic carboy is at about 82% AA, 1.053 - 1.009. I'd say it's juicy fruit gum with some spicy notes. I've read bubble gum, but it's juicy fruit, not pink. I won't be able to keg this batch for at least a few weeks, so maybe it will go further.

I started at 68° for 24 hours. Let it free rise to 74 in a 72° chamber for two days and then put into ambient as I needed the space. It peaked at around 78° on day 4 in a 76° room. It's odd to see fermenters out in the open. Hasn't been like that in years.

For sure a keeper and I'd like to mix it with other strains for a more layered profile.

Last time I used 3726 it came out really peppery (in a good way), with some fruity undertones. It was awesome. I think like a lot of Belgian strains it's temp sensitive - I think I held 67F for2 days, then let it rise to ~ 75Fish. I still need to use the Rustic soon. IIRC zwiller said he's convinced that Rustic is 3726. Can't wait to use it.
Jon H.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #28 on: August 30, 2016, 09:11:10 am »

Last time I used 3726 it came out really peppery (in a good way), with some fruity undertones. It was awesome. I think like a lot of Belgian strains it's temp sensitive - I think I held 67F for2 days, then let it rise to ~ 75Fish. I still need to use the Rustic soon. IIRC zwiller said he's convinced that Rustic is 3726. Can't wait to use it.

Yep, I think it is of Blaugies origin (that's lawyer speak for "I think it is 3726 but I cannot prove nor does it guarantee you will have the same results as I do")  ;D  You both start hotter than I usually do.  I start it 64F. Maybe not a huge deal but I suspect it could influence more fruit.  One thing that no ones ever seems to talk about is the pH influence of expressive yeast strains.  There's gotta be something to this.  (I went 5.2)  This could explain why a guy gets juicy fruit and another gets pepper even with same temps.  Also, grist formulation could play a role.  When I read of varying results I don't think much of it, there's so many variables.  To ME, the hallmark of Blaugies is a cassia/cinnamon-ish spice vibe with the fruit and pepper, but honestly the Blaugies character is very complex and intruiging and one's pallette could influence things too.   
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline Stevie

« Reply #29 on: August 30, 2016, 09:14:52 am »
I added extra acid to the kettle after reading Martin's recommendation to not acidity the mash so low. I mashed at about 5.4 and added 2ml lactic to the kettle