Author Topic: Imperial Yeast  (Read 13248 times)

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
Re: Imperial Yeast
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2016, 03:15:38 pm »
Week into fermentation and my Rustic carboy is at about 82% AA, 1.053 - 1.009. I'd say it's juicy fruit gum with some spicy notes. I've read bubble gum, but it's juicy fruit, not pink. I won't be able to keg this batch for at least a few weeks, so maybe it will go further.

I started at 68° for 24 hours. Let it free rise to 74 in a 72° chamber for two days and then put into ambient as I needed the space. It peaked at around 78° on day 4 in a 76° room. It's odd to see fermenters out in the open. Hasn't been like that in years.

Do you get the same from 3726 Jon?

For sure a keeper and I'd like to mix it with other strains for a more layered profile.

Last time I used 3726 it came out really peppery (in a good way), with some fruity undertones. It was awesome. I think like a lot of Belgian strains it's temp sensitive - I think I held 67F for2 days, then let it rise to ~ 75Fish. I still need to use the Rustic soon. IIRC zwiller said he's convinced that Rustic is 3726. Can't wait to use it.

Yep, I think it is of Blaugies origin (that's lawyer speak for "I think it is 3726 but I cannot prove nor does it guarantee you will have the same results as I do")  ;D  You both start hotter than I usually do.  I start it 64F. Maybe not a huge deal but I suspect it could influence more fruit.  One thing that no ones ever seems to talk about is the pH influence of expressive yeast strains.  There's gotta be something to this.  (I went 5.2)  This could explain why a guy gets juicy fruit and another gets pepper even with same temps.  Also, grist formulation could play a role.  When I read of varying results I don't think much of it, there's so many variables.  To ME, the hallmark of Blaugies is a cassia/cinnamon-ish spice vibe with the fruit and pepper, but honestly the Blaugies character is very complex and intruiging and one's pallette could influence things too.   

I like 5.2 mash pH for saison, too. Even starting @ 67F I'd say the peppery, spicy character came out a good bit ahead of the fruity esters.
Jon H.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2016, 03:29:42 pm »
You guys like sugar in yours or not?  Mine is usually 70/20/10 2row/wheat malt/white sugar. Actually considering going 20% sugar on next one.  I don't get the issue with mashing at 5.2.   
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2016, 03:31:17 pm »
I normally go half pound for 5-8% saisons.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #33 on: August 30, 2016, 03:33:48 pm »
I used to but I stopped. 147-148F for 90 mins gets my FG to 1.004 or less every time.
Jon H.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #34 on: August 30, 2016, 03:50:48 pm »
I just recently brewed a saison and was recommended (by Jon I believe) to do 148F for 90 minutes without sugar. Got down to 1.001 with Belle.
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Kolsch, bitter, Czech pils

Fermenting:
Up Next: amber lager, Italian pils

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #35 on: August 30, 2016, 04:38:57 pm »
I am trying to get the whole brew session down to 2 hours, so I will stick with the sugar.  ;D  Maybe I will go 15%.  Anyone think you could taste the difference?  Long mash vs sugar
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #36 on: August 30, 2016, 04:43:16 pm »
I am trying to get the whole brew session down to 2 hours, so I will stick with the sugar.  ;D  Maybe I will go 15%.  Anyone think you could taste the difference?  Long mash vs sugar

In theory you'd be getting more malt character without the sugar, but at a FG that low and dry the difference is a little or none. I don't notice a big difference for sure, maybe a slight one.
Jon H.

Offline 69franx

• Bloatarian Brewing League
« Reply #37 on: September 08, 2016, 02:12:59 am »
I just bottled my saison with 3724 and Imperial's Napolean last night. After 5 weeks in primary(life gets in the way) the batch went from 1.052 down to 1.003. This matches the performance of last year's batch with 3724 and 3711 very closely as far as attenuation goes. It is very dry and has lost a lot of the spicy, peppery notes that I tasted in gravity samples along the way. It is still very reminiscent of the batch with 3724 and 3711 now that the heavyish peppery note has dissipated. I am very happy with this batch, and would definitely use the Napolean again, but after reading this thread, I am more interested in trying out the Rustic the next time I brew a saison
Frank L.
Fermenting: Nothing (ugh!)
Conditioning: Nothing (UGH!)
In keg: Nothing (Double UGH!)
In the works:  House IPA, Dark Mild, Ballantine Ale clone(still trying to work this one into the schedule)

Offline Stevie

« Reply #38 on: October 04, 2016, 09:50:34 pm »
Finally got the saison made with Rustic in a keg. Little boozy, for sure ester driven with a bit of spice, more mouthfeel and less pepper than 3711, not as complex is 3724. Not getting bubblegum, but a bit of citrus. Overall I'm happy with it. I do want to try a blend with 3711.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #39 on: October 04, 2016, 09:54:02 pm »
Finally got the saison made with Rustic in a keg. Little boozy, for sure ester driven with a bit of spice, more mouthfeel and less pepper than 3711, not as complex is 3724. Not getting bubblegum, but a bit of citrus. Overall I'm happy with it. I do want to try a blend with 3711.

Cool. What temp profile did you use, out of curiosity?  Still haven't used it, hoping to soon. Wanna compare it to 3726 for myself.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #40 on: October 04, 2016, 09:57:02 pm »
I started at 68° for 24 hours. Let it free rise to 74 in a 72° chamber for two days and then put into ambient

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #41 on: October 04, 2016, 10:02:20 pm »
I started at 68° for 24 hours. Let it free rise to 74 in a 72° chamber for two days and then put into ambient

Cool, I'm in that ballpark with 3726. If it's not carbed up yet, I'll be curious to see what you think of the final product.
Jon H.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #42 on: October 04, 2016, 10:10:11 pm »
Half carbed. Was at 40psi for 24 hours and 15 for the past two days.

Offline zwiller

• Brewmaster
« Reply #43 on: October 05, 2016, 03:07:07 pm »
In the interest of full disclosure, although I think rustic is of 3726 descent, I felt the esters were subdued from what I remember.  A side by side/split ferment vs 3726 would incredibly beneficial.  Actually now that I think about it, maybe the increased cell count Imperial gives us might work against us in this regard?  From memory, Imperial is giving us well over 2x, maybe even 3x the cell count of wyeast.  Wonder why I had to type this to figure that out myself? ;D
Sam
Sandusky, OH

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #44 on: October 05, 2016, 06:36:23 pm »
Maybe pitch half the can next time and the other half into a starter for safe keeping for a bit?