Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Imperial Yeast  (Read 17108 times)

Offline Stevie

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
Re: Imperial Yeast
« Reply #45 on: November 03, 2016, 12:32:32 pm »
I brewed an early to mid-aughts IPA and fermented with a repitch. 72% AA at about four days with nearly no remaining krausen but obvious activity. Taste and aroma is solid. Excited for it to be finished in another week.

83 pils, 5.5 munich, 3.5 wheat, 1.5 Caramunich III, 6.5 sugar
5ml hop shot at 60, .75 cent at 20, .5 ea cent/citra/mosaic for 30min whirlpool.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #46 on: November 08, 2016, 02:34:56 pm »
The cans that these yeasts come in kinda bug me. Maybe its user error, but if I let the yeast warm up to room temp before pitching, the can explodes and makes a mess, and if I open it cold, that means I pitch cold and risk temp shocking the yeast. And the English ale yeast sticks to the bottom of the can and is  a pain to get out, because if I vigorously shake the can to get all the yeast in suspension, it explodes when I open it.

Sorry, don't mean for my first post here to be complaining, I have used their pub yeast strain, tartan (Scottish ale) strain and the rustic (3726) strain, and aside from the packaging, have no complaints. The tartan in particular was awesome in a RIS.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #47 on: November 08, 2016, 02:38:13 pm »
I don't mind the cans so far, but the loud pop when opening scared me a bit. I'm fine pitching cold and followed their recommended steps of inverting the can, rolling before opening, pour half and swirl the rest. I haven't tried a heavy floc yeast yet, that could certainly be an issue.

Offline Iliff Ave

« Reply #48 on: November 08, 2016, 02:44:56 pm »
The cans that these yeasts come in kinda bug me. Maybe its user error, but if I let the yeast warm up to room temp before pitching, the can explodes and makes a mess, and if I open it cold, that means I pitch cold and risk temp shocking the yeast. And the English ale yeast sticks to the bottom of the can and is  a pain to get out, because if I vigorously shake the can to get all the yeast in suspension, it explodes when I open it.

Sorry, don't mean for my first post here to be complaining, I have used their pub yeast strain, tartan (Scottish ale) strain and the rustic (3726) strain, and aside from the packaging, have no complaints. The tartan in particular was awesome in a RIS.

According to their instructions, I believe you are supposed to open cold, without shaking, and by slowly venting. Gently swirl the yeast and stir in some wort to get any settled yeast on the bottom...
On Tap/Bottled: IPL, Adjunct Vienna, Golden Stout, Honey Lager
Fermenting: IPA
Up Next: mexi lager, Germerican pale ale

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #49 on: November 08, 2016, 02:51:43 pm »
I don't mind the cans so far, but the loud pop when opening scared me a bit. I'm fine pitching cold and followed their recommended steps of inverting the can, rolling before opening, pour half and swirl the rest. I haven't tried a heavy floc yeast yet, that could certainly be an issue.

this worked for me for all the strains except the English one. I had to use a sanitized little spatula to scoop the rest out. Not the biggest deal, but still not an issue with other types of packaging.

Offline denny

• Administrator
  • Retired with too much time on my hands
  • Noti OR [1991.4, 287.6deg] AR
    • Dennybrew
« Reply #50 on: November 08, 2016, 03:16:54 pm »
If you're on Facebook. here's a short video about how to open the cans....https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=imperial%20yeast%20short%20video
Life begins at 60.....1.060, that is!

www.dennybrew.com

The best, sharpest, funniest, weirdest and most knowledgable minds in home brewing contribute on the AHA forum. - Alewyfe

"The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts." - Bertrand Russell

Offline brewinhard

« Reply #51 on: November 08, 2016, 03:39:52 pm »
Pitching cold yeast into warmer wort is no big deal at all. I do it all the time when brewing my batches.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #52 on: November 08, 2016, 03:50:37 pm »
The adding chilled wort to the can is a great tip. Not practical for me as by the time I'm ready to pitch, the wort has been in the fermenter for a few hours.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #53 on: November 08, 2016, 05:04:00 pm »
If you're on Facebook. here's a short video about how to open the cans....https://www.facebook.com/search/top/?q=imperial%20yeast%20short%20video

thanks Denny.

Also, has anyone had strange experience with the cablecar strain. Supposedly the anchor steam strain. I pitched a 2 l starter into 5 gallons of 1.047 wort and it took nearly a month to reach terminal gravity.

Offline Stevie

Imperial Yeast
« Reply #54 on: November 08, 2016, 05:09:09 pm »
Haven't tried it. What temp did you ferment at? I've had solid results with 2112 at 60° for three weeks. Four weeks doesn't seem too out of place.

Offline HoosierBrew

• I must live here
  • Indianapolis,IN
« Reply #55 on: November 08, 2016, 05:19:24 pm »
Half carbed. Was at 40psi for 24 hours and 15 for the past two days.

Steve, any more thoughts on the Rustic beer?
Jon H.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2016, 05:20:10 pm »
Haven't tried it. What temp did you ferment at? I've had solid results with 2112 at 60° for three weeks. Four weeks doesn't seem too out of place.

I've used the WY strain with good results, but my one time using Imperial was weird. I fermented at 65. It was a strange fermentation. Very obvious signs of fermentation the entire time, (yeast stirring and churning the wort. Gravity readings showed a continued drop, just really really really slow.) I cant figure out what the heck happened. Just gonna chalk it up to anomaly. The end result tasted fine, except for the aurora dry hop added some weird flavors.

Offline Stevie

Imperial Yeast
« Reply #57 on: November 08, 2016, 05:26:44 pm »
So far so good. It dropped bright after about 2 weeks which is not something I am used to with saison strains. Nose is solidly saison and flavor is a one note. Never used 3726, so I can't compare.

I think it would be good in a blend. I think I will try it with 3711, but want to get new pitches so I can give it an honest shot.

ETA - dropped bright in the keg, not the fermenter.

Offline bayareabrewer

• Brewmaster
« Reply #58 on: November 08, 2016, 05:29:34 pm »
So far so good. It dropped bright after about 2 weeks which is not something I am used to with saison strains. Nose is solidly saison and flavor is a one note. Never used 3726, so I can't compare.

I think it would be good in a blend. I think I will try it with 3711, but want to get new pitches so I can give it an honest shot.

ETA - dropped bright in the keg, not the fermenter.

have you ever found 3711 to give a weird mouthfeel? like, way to full for such a low fg? everytime I'ved use it I get it.

Offline Stevie

« Reply #59 on: November 08, 2016, 05:38:57 pm »
That's what people like about it. Crazy low FG, with significant mouthfeel.