Membership questions? Log in issues? Email info@brewersassociation.org

Author Topic: Espresso machines  (Read 4346 times)

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
  • Polka. If its too loud you're too young.
Espresso machines
« on: July 23, 2016, 09:04:07 am »
Who has a great recommendation on Espresso machines? I owned a cheap Delongi for several years that made a decent shot. Looking maybe at this one on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Breville-BES870XL-Barista-Express-Espresso/dp/B00CH9QWOU/ref=sr_1_6?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1469285740&sr=1-6&keywords=espresso+machine

Offline pete b

• Official Poobah of No Life. (I Got Ban Hammered by Drew)
  • Barre, Ma
Re: Espresso machines
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2016, 09:30:16 am »
I use one sporadically so a cheap Mr coffee has been all I need. When I am looking to get a fairly pricey kitchen item I go to Cook's illustrated to see if they have done some reviews.
Don't let the bastards cheer you up.

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2016, 09:35:57 am »
Yeah I don't want a cheap steam powered one. The good ones use a pump. The Delongi I had was a 15 bar pump driven espresso machine. Looks like they are still available and under a $100.

From the reviews of all the espresso machines I have seen on line it seems like you can only rent them, not own them, since they wear out after a couple of years.

Offline Alewyfe

• Brewer
  • Fighting for Truth, Justice & Home Brew
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2016, 10:36:41 am »
 would get the model without the burr grinder. you probably already have a good grinder. why pay for another one?
Diane
Roseburg, Oregon
Member: Umpqua Valley Brewers Guild
             Cascade Brewers Society
             AHA

"Have no fear of perfection...you'll never reach it" ~Salvador Dali

"Growing old is mandatory. Growing up? Definitely optional!"

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2016, 12:23:02 pm »
I like coffeegeek for reviews: http://coffeegeek.com/reviews/consumer/brevillebes860xl

In the old days, during my espresso serial obsession, the rule was to first buy the best grinder you can afford and then buy for an espresso machine. I used to have  a Rancilio Silvia with an external pid . Then my coffee obsession went out of hand, and now I hand-pour filter coffee. With the right quality of coffee (the best and freshest light roasted you can find), better than 90% of espresso coffee.
Frank P.

Staggering on the shoulders of giant dwarfs.

Offline BrewingRover

• Brewmaster
  • Brewing in Flossmoor, IL
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2016, 12:24:34 pm »
I've had an earlier model of this for at least six years and it's still going strong (I seriously can't remember when I bought it).
https://www.amazon.com/Philips-Saeco-Espresso-Machine-Stainless/dp/B00141AZOA

I don't use it every day, so maybe it wouldn't last as long under heavier use.
It's such a fine line between stupid and clever.

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2016, 01:51:03 pm »
I like coffeegeek for reviews: http://coffeegeek.com/reviews/consumer/brevillebes860xl

In the old days, during my espresso serial obsession, the rule was to first buy the best grinder you can afford and then buy for an espresso machine. I used to have  a Rancilio Silvia with an external pid . Then my coffee obsession went out of hand, and now I hand-pour filter coffee. With the right quality of coffee (the best and freshest light roasted you can find), better than 90% of espresso coffee.

Thanks. Your coffee set up is exactly what I use and I agree it makes superior coffee. But it doesn't make espresso. ;)

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2016, 01:52:12 pm »
would get the model without the burr grinder. you probably already have a good grinder. why pay for another one?

You are right, I do already have a top of the line burr gringer. I bought this one anyway because, well, what the hell. :0

Offline tonyp

• Brewmaster
  • If it ain't broke you aren't trying hard enough...
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2016, 10:16:30 pm »
the /r/coffee wiki over on reddit has a lot of really good info broken down by price range. There are also sections on grinders, pour-overs, etc etc on the main page:

Gear Suggestion main page

Live from the Jersey Shore!

Phrases for Creatives, #22:
"I'll try being nicer if you'll try being smarter."

narvin

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2016, 08:33:45 am »
Who has a great recommendation on Espresso machines? I owned a cheap Delongi for several years that made a decent shot. Looking maybe at this one on Amazon

https://www.amazon.com/Breville-BES870XL-Barista-Express-Espresso/dp/B00CH9QWOU/ref=sr_1_6?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1469285740&sr=1-6&keywords=espresso+machine

We have this one.  No complaints, makes great espresso.

Offline Delo

• Brewer
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2016, 07:47:46 am »
We had a krupps a long time ago and it made great espresso until it crapped out.    We’ve had a rancilio silvia and have been making espresso on it everyday for a few years now.  I have been very happy with it, but it can be finicky.  Grind, freshness of beans, amount of pressure tamping. It can take a while to get the hang of making great espresso every time and you definitely need a good burr grinder. The most important thing is the coffee.  If you use crappy coffee expect crappy espresso.
Mark

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2016, 08:48:40 am »
We had a krupps a long time ago and it made great espresso until it crapped out.    We’ve had a rancilio silvia and have been making espresso on it everyday for a few years now.  I have been very happy with it, but it can be finicky.  Grind, freshness of beans, amount of pressure tamping. It can take a while to get the hang of making great espresso every time and you definitely need a good burr grinder. The most important thing is the coffee.  If you use crappy coffee expect crappy espresso.

I only use whole beans from a local roaster and have a top of the line burr grinder. I'm probably a bigger coffee snob than I am beer snob.

Online majorvices

• Global Moderator
  • I must live here
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2016, 08:49:13 am »

We have this one.  No complaints, makes great espresso.

Awesome! I'm pretty excited about receiving the unit.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2016, 04:10:53 pm »
I only use whole beans from a local roaster and have a top of the line burr grinder. I'm probably a bigger coffee snob than I am beer snob.

Same here. I hope single origin coffee, relatively lightly roasted, and you use filtered water?
Frank P.

Offline homoeccentricus

• Brewmaster General
  • A twerp from Antwerp
« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2016, 04:12:58 pm »
Plus, you only use the freshest possible coffee of which you know on which day it has been roasted, and, if necessary, store the beans in the freezer? And if you go to Italy you bring your own coffee? And you own a roaster?
« Last Edit: July 25, 2016, 04:14:36 pm by homoeccentricus »
Frank P.